Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2009, 07:48 AM
Rookie

Default Unstable while browsing, but passes large FFT

Hey there Hardware Canucks, quick question regarding my overclocking...

I ran Prime95's large FFT last night for 10 hours, completely stable with temps never raising above 35C. This morning I was doing a little bit of browsing on Firefox when all of a sudden I get a BSOD, I think it must be the OC and quickly jump out of it to go back to stock for the day.

Then I start thinking, if I was able to run large FFT for 10 hours, how could Firefox bring it down?

I have a Phenom II x3 720 BE, stock settings at 14x and 1.325V overclocked to 17x with a 1.426V. This seems like a fairly conservative OC, I have no need of the 3.7GHz, but I would most definably like to get the 3.4 if possible.

Anything I should look at? Bad memory perhaps? Loose connector? Let me know!

Thanks =)
Old September 1, 2009, 07:53 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've had Firefox, and some reports from others of Firefox crashing out with flash heavy pages.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrise View Post
Hey there Hardware Canucks, quick question regarding my overclocking...

I ran Prime95's large FFT last night for 10 hours, completely stable with temps never raising above 35C. This morning I was doing a little bit of browsing on Firefox when all of a sudden I get a BSOD, I think it must be the OC and quickly jump out of it to go back to stock for the day.

Then I start thinking, if I was able to run large FFT for 10 hours, how could Firefox bring it down?

I have a Phenom II x3 720 BE, stock settings at 14x and 1.325V overclocked to 17x with a 1.426V. This seems like a fairly conservative OC, I have no need of the 3.7GHz, but I would most definably like to get the 3.4 if possible.

Anything I should look at? Bad memory perhaps? Loose connector? Let me know!

Thanks =)
You want to either run Blend (memory) or Small (cpu) with prime 95.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:59 AM
Rookie

I did run both Blend and Small for about an hour each, I'm guessing that wasn't long enough. I'll bump it back up and see if I can reproduce the error; see if it really is about the OC.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Run OCCT for like 4 hours. If it passes, you should be good.

What does the BSOD say?
Old September 1, 2009, 08:11 AM
Rookie

That's the thing, I jumped out of it to quickly on the assumption that it was my OC, so I never got a real good look at it.

I have it bumped back up, so I'm going to see if it happens again.

Also, I believe it was an IRQL_NOT_LESS_THEN_EQUAL error. That would be my best guess.
Old September 1, 2009, 09:59 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Now that you are not testing your overclocks stabilty, but rather troubleshooting an error, just set your clocks back to normal and see if it happens again.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As Enab pointed out...run the "Blend" test..an hour isn't long enough....

Old September 1, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I usually run fft blend test before I go to bed and see if it craps out overnight.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old September 1, 2009, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm not entirely sure, but I had the same BSOD when my RAM settings were sort of messed up, either your divider, clocked too high, timings..

Clock it down a little bit and try it out, but before you do that, try what enaberif said, an hour really isn't long enough..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution