Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
Rookie

Congrats DT, was just looking at the bot & saw that you dropped a serious boint bomb on the enthusiast league, great work!
Old January 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Congrats to you as well FtW on being #1 in Canada
Old January 24, 2012, 11:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

DT got a tiger blood transfusion and caught the winning
Old January 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

eheh

'Fastest Enthusiast Overclocker of the World' using a bone stock rig... I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Thanks Eldonko - I intend to! Also, I intend to compete in the EL going forward on hopefully more legitimate grounds. Having said that, I will be showing this screenshot to my grandkids one day:

Old January 24, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Just thought I'd post in this thread to share a little accomplishment of mine rather than starting my own in order to highlight the "bigger picture." The post-3oh6* world of Canadian overclocking is in good shape.

Last night, I used the new hwbot Rev.4 scoring system to my advantage to secure the number one spot in the Enthusiast League.

I'm enjoying it while it lasts. I used Quicksilver to earn a boatload of points because I was able to nail down first place in a wide array of essentially uncontested categories. Ever since the new scoring system was put into place, I have felt that it is very much skewed towards rewarding rare and unpopular hardware. Clearly, this has been a benefit to me since most of my boints have come from server-class hardware. But it's not right; at least, I don't think it is. So hopefully by using a single, non-overclocked machine to surge to the front of the pack in the EL, I have brought this issue to the attention of the hwbot bigwigs and they can make the appropriate changes.

In the meantime, the Canadian flag waves again atop the leaderboard, albeit the Enthusiast League - which is kinda like the AHL of overclocking. But hey - I'll take it!

*Jody is very much alive.
Nice
Old January 24, 2012, 04:04 PM
MVP

WOW! Pow! Nicely done, thats quite incredible, Canada right where is should be. As a side note I think its brilliant the way they have rigged the points to emphasize rarer and unpopular hardware. It gives the chance for someone with very limited budget to gain some real points without have to have the newest/brightest/expensive hardware. You could literally not own a platform newer than 775 and still contribute tons to your team, which in my opinion is the way it should be. I would rather see someone trying to put together a Quicksilver project than yet another guy binning 50 2600K chips and buying 7970s to put up those same numbers.

Incredible job! Looks good on the leaderboard.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

hmmm. I have a bigadv WU that will be completed tomorrow on the 4p, I could slap my 2008R2 HDD back on the rig. Think it's worth the shot?
Old January 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
hmmm. I have a bigadv WU that will be completed tomorrow on the 4p, I could slap my 2008R2 HDD back on the rig. Think it's worth the shot?
Yes - you should be able to do some serious damage with that rig.

I will say, though, that for me, the point of benching a machine like Quicksilver is to force yourself to learn its little intricacies inside and out. For example, what's the optimal IOH width? What type of interleaving works best with parallel processes? And what order should the interleaving go in? These are all questions to which I now have answers for Quicksilver, yet none that I would have even bothered to ask if not for the benchmarking. Even if all this translates into only marginal improvements in PPD - that's okay because I learned something and I had fun doing it, and besides - every point counts.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old February 17, 2012, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

Nice work DT, i wondered how you pulled out in front of me so far so fast......!
Old February 23, 2012, 06:42 AM
Top Prospect

I joined HWC HWbot team and it gave the team a nice boost and moved us up 8 positions in the overall standings.
My 7970 arrives today, so hopefully i can gain a few more points....