Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2009, 05:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default GTX275 OCing problem

Hey HWC i have been hitting some weird problems when Overclocking my MSI 275GTX. I been slowly bumping up the core by around 10mhz and then stress testing it with several things like 3dmark, OCCT, crysis benchmark, actual gaming, etc. Its been going ok until i hit around the 700 mark. My display flashes black and windows says it recovered from a error or something like that.

I rolled back the OC by 5mhz and it was stable. Problem was my performance was almost cut down 50%. Example would be i would get like 30-40 fps on crysis on very high + 4XAA on stock settings, but when i overclocked it started showing 10-15 fps.

So i tried restarting my computer to see if that would fix the problem, apparently it did. Later on i tried Overclocking again and i reached my limit, rollbacked around 5 mhz and the same thing happened.

My other problem is when i'm folding (this doesn't relate to my OC problem, well.. not yet anyways lol). When i fold with only GPU my computer lags alot. When i click on icon on my desktop it takes about 5-15 seconds to respond, and so does anything else i do. I would like to fold but if i lag even when trying to browse the internet then i won't .

Anyways i hope i can fix this soon, since im moving to my boarding school soon (no internet).

Oh and i already tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers (safe mode + driver cleaner).
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 28, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Huh.....do you have quite a few Fans in that HAF?....I could be way off here, but with your 275 OC'd very high...E8400 @ 4 Ghz...could possibly be a PSU issue..? Maybe its that extra "push" at the end wiith your GPU OC that is pushing the limits of your PSU...
As far as testing GPU stability...a ot of folks run Furmark...I generally run ATI Tool ....or a combination of Crysis...exit Crysis and immendiately run ATI Tool looking for artifacts.
If your GPU OC becomes to get "unstable"...you should see artifacts "in game" not BSOD or "Windows Recovering From a Fatal Error".....these point to PSU issue or CPU OC issue....how stable and what is your methodology for determininig your E8400 stable at 4 Ghz?
So:
1. Determine that this isn't a CPU OC issue...downclock your CPU or test CPU OC running P95 Short FFT for around 4 hrs followed by LinX Max Blend 20 passes, if no BSOD run GPU OC and see if it happens again.
2. Try a different PSU...

Old August 28, 2009, 05:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well my method of checking if my CPU is stable is 2 hours of OCCT + about 4-5 hours of prime95. Option number 2 i can't do right now.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 28, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try dropping your E8400 OC down a bit and re-try....and still think your 4 Ghz OC is not entirely stable....

Old August 28, 2009, 06:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

With all that stuff OC'ed on a 520W PSU i think you may be on the mark rjbarker, he could be saturating the PSU to the point where it causes those problems as a safety measure to protect itself.
Old August 28, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
With all that stuff OC'ed on a 520W PSU i think you may be on the mark rjbarker, he could be saturating the PSU to the point where it causes those problems as a safety measure to protect itself.
Yeah it was just a thought....not all that familiar with what a decent 520W PSU is capable of.......I know his symptoms don't describe an unstable GPU OC though...especially if he's not getting any artifacts or anomalies prior to the crash.

Old August 28, 2009, 07:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

well dropped down to 3.8GHZ and 3.6GHZ, no good still the same. I'll be going down to 3.4ghz and 3.2ghz then stock.
Old August 28, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep, I would set that sucker back to Stock speeds, both CPU n GPU and first try OC'ing the GPU.....if no problems with reaching a Max GPU OC...set the GPU back to Stock n start OC'ing the CPU..when you reach a Max "stable" CPU OC...then try bumping the GPU's up again..trial n error man. If you wind up back to this same thing again...I'd try another PSU...

Old August 28, 2009, 07:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Alright will do, this is going to be a long night . Thanks for the help
Old August 28, 2009, 08:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm interesting news, i was at 3.6ghz on cpu and i tried to overclock my GPU again doing 10mhz each time on the core. i got up to 714 and it did the display error. The thing is on my evga precision it shows my core: 400, shader: 799, and memory:297. /facepalm how could i not notice this.. anyways i guess my GPU underclocked itself for safety issues?