Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2009, 02:52 PM
Top Prospect

Default Decisions, Decisions

Alright, so I have got my computer built (check sig) and have recently decided to start overclocking. All day yesterday, I was having troubles getting stable past 3.1. I then decided to take out half of my RAM, and it's easily been stable at 3.7, and still testing for a bit higher. Now, if I use the system for gaming and photo/video editing, I will never actually use the 12GB will I? It's a toss up between the overclock and the RAM, and I'm having troubles deciding. If I do decide to keep the overclock, I will be selling the other 3 sticks of RAM.

Old July 28, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zankras View Post
Alright, so I have got my computer built (check sig) and have recently decided to start overclocking. All day yesterday, I was having troubles getting stable past 3.1. I then decided to take out half of my RAM, and it's easily been stable at 3.7, and still testing for a bit higher. Now, if I use the system for gaming and photo/video editing, I will never actually use the 12GB will I? It's a toss up between the overclock and the RAM, and I'm having troubles deciding. If I do decide to keep the overclock, I will be selling the other 3 sticks of RAM.
6GB will be enough for 99% of what you're likely to do. Unless you're doing some heavy-duty 3D work, or scientific-type calculations...you'll be more than fine. Take the OC and turf the other 6GB.
Old July 28, 2009, 03:04 PM
Top Prospect

Hmm, will there be any future use for the 12GB RAM? Any games that could use it within a year?

Old July 28, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i doubt it, my computer (below) barely uses more than 1.5gigs

-Plato
Old July 28, 2009, 03:32 PM
Top Prospect

Hmm. Definitely tempting to sell. Think I'd be able to get $100 for NCIX.com - Buy Patriot Extreme Viper PVT36G1600ELK 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - PVT36G1600ELK In Canada. ?

Old July 28, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zankras View Post
Probably not(at least not on here ).. maybe $75-$90.
Old July 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just sell. From what I see, you're getting more of a performance boost for less money if you sell your 12GB. I would highly recommend selling the extra sticks.
Old July 28, 2009, 04:53 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

post your bios template of all your voltages and settings. Probably just need to tweak a few things to get 12gb as stable as 6gb. These x58 boards are picky as hell for OCing. Crash crash crash, add +10mv to the QPPVTTQLP (made that up) and solid as a rock. That's been my experience.
Old July 28, 2009, 04:58 PM
Top Prospect

Hmm, how do I go about posting a bios template? Do I have to type it out, or does Prt Scrn work in the bios?

EDIT - Also, after taking out 3 sticks, it's saying I have 4GB usable, and when I delve deeper into Windows 7 x64, it tells me that 2GB is "Hardware Reserved" I did not have this issue with all 6 sticks in.

Last edited by Zankras; July 28, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old July 28, 2009, 08:10 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Pretty much have to write down all the settings, unless someone else knows a better way.