Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2009, 01:38 PM
Rookie

Default First time overclocker (E6400)

Hi. I have a dell xps computer with a Core 2 Duo E6400 and a nvidia nforce 4 sli motherboard. I'd really like to overclock my processor, it's currently running at 2.13Ghz, if I could get it to around 3Ghz that would be awesome. I've never overclocked before, and if someone could get me started or point me in the right direction (to some guides or something) that would be great. Thank you
Old July 19, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm- isn't the nforce 4 an AMD chipset?

Are you sure about what kind of motherboard you're using?
Old July 19, 2009, 02:38 PM
Rookie

Bleh, I guess I gave the wrong info or something. In CPU-Z it says this:
Chipset NVIDIA nForce 4
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI
The manufacturer is Dell I believe since my brother bought the pc from them.
That help at all? It's definitely not AMD either. CPU-Z says Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Sorry if I mislead. Help on how to overclock the CPU would be great if possible :)
Old July 19, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

dell locks there Bios's so you can't overclock. unless things have changed since the last time i work on a dell
Old July 19, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you know if it's an XPS 400, 410, or 420 etc?

I've read somewhere that someone overclocked a 420, but other places that say it can't be done- typically dells won't OC due to custom bios with extar options cut out, but the XPS is meant for gaming so it might work- let me know what model it is and I'll look around.
Old July 19, 2009, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Ah, that would be a shame. It's a dell xps 710. Probably about 4 years old, not completely sure. If you could look into it Babrbarossa that would be great. Thanks guys.
Old July 19, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I found this information: The DELL XPS 710 comes stock with some overclocking options in BIOS. However due to the limitations of the STOCK RAM installed the benifits of overclocking do not result in a significant gain in performance. Even with the fastest RAM recomended by DELL, the performance gains are not worth the cost of the RAM upgrade. The main reason being Dell has included a modified version of Nvidia's Nforce 590 SLI chipset, with a few of the features disabled, those that controll ability to change the Ram Timings and Vdimm limitations. Most GAINS are around 150-200 points in benchmarking.

I also read that the only options for overclocking in the bios are the adjustment of the CPU multiplier, but I would imagine that the multi is already at 8X which is the maximum for the e6400 - it might be worth going into the bios and looking to see what the CPU mulitplier is set to. Since it's an NVidia chipset, you also might be able to use NTune to overclock it- it's a windows based program that overclocks using simple sliders- if you try it go easy.

t would be nice if you could squeeze some more from that e6400- I have an e6400 that will overclock to 3.9GHz on water-it's running at 3.6 in my HTPC, but you definitely win't get that with that memory, psu, and motherboard.
Old July 19, 2009, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Alright man, thanks for the help.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I suggest you do some reading around the net and peruse your bios to become familiar with it- then if you have any questions about the overclocking process, fire away. At a basic level it's very simple.