Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2009, 04:26 AM
Top Prospect

Default Silly Question

When overclocking - can the OS and hard drive firmware make any difference to your overclock?

I hadn't thought so, but the reason I'm asking is that when I had previoiusly been overclocking my Q9550, I seemed to max out at about 3.83GHz without touching the voltages, and not with much stability. Now... instead of Vista, I'm running Windows 7, and I updated the firmware on my Seagate hard drive - and I'm overclocked at 3.98GHz - and while I haven't done much, it at least appears to be stable.

I'll be bringing it back down to around 3.4 where I normally like to run - but thought this was an opportunity for the overclocking veterans to educate me.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks like the vets don't know, me included (amateur at best).
Old July 19, 2009, 10:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

To my knowledge i don't think the OS and hard drive firmware should make a difference since its all motherboard/cpu/memory side and has nothing to do with the SATA or PATA buses
Old July 19, 2009, 11:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
To my knowledge i don't think the OS and hard drive firmware should make a difference since its all motherboard/cpu/memory side and has nothing to do with the SATA or PATA buses
Correct.

Neither hard drive OR OS will make any negligible difference on a overclock.

Only things that will is power supply, ram, and motherboard.