Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2009, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Odd issue with overclocking and CPU voltage

I'm a first time overclocker so I might be making a silly mistake. I have no past hands-on experience with overcloking but I've been reading tihs forum and a few other hardware forums for a while, so I have a general idea of the methodology.

I brought my CPU up to 2.6GHz and was stress testing with Prime95. Within seconds I got a "Rounding was 0.5, was expecting less than 0.4" error message. I Googled the error message and found most people saying it was a RAM related error. I fiddled with my RAM frequency, voltage and timings, but nothing I did would get rid of the error message.

For lack of a better idea I decided to test the effect of increasing my CPU voltage. I bumped it from 1.35 to 1.375, and this time Prime95 ran for 21 hours before giving an error. I figured I was on the right track, so I bumped the CPU voltage again to 1.3875, but Prime95 errored immediately. I dropped the voltage back down to 1.375, which had previously been stable for 21 hours, but this time it errored immediately.

After much trial and error, I've determined if I reset the BIOS to default then set up my overclock with a CPU voltage of 1.35, Prime95 errors immediately. If I reset the BIOS then set up my overlock with a CPU voltage of 1.375, Prime95 also errors immediately. To make it work, I have to reset the BIOS and set up my overlock with a voltage of 1.35, then boot into Windows, then reboot and change the voltage to 1.375. After that, the overclock is at least partially stable according to Prime95. The thread on CPU core 0 ran for about 21 hours before giving an error message, while the thread on core 1 has run for 24+ hours without any problems.

I've also tested the system with 3DMark06 and memtest86+. There are no issues with either of them.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

As I said I have no prior hands-on experience so perhaps this is normal, but it just seemed very odd to me that the system would only be stable if I fiddled with the voltage like that.

In case you need to know, my hardware is listed in my signature and a CPU-Z shot is attached below.

Edited: I suppose perhaps this should have gone in the Troubleshooting section instead. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.
Attached Images

Last edited by Arundor; July 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old July 8, 2009, 02:09 PM
Top Prospect

My 3800+ EE and 6000+ Always had to be brought up to speed in increments. Also, these windsors where not the greatest for overclocking, I think the highest I ever had my 3800+ running was ~2.8 Ghz, with liquid. My 6000+ needed about 1.9 Vcore to become stable at 3.6 Ghz (This was with Rad hanging out the window during Winter). Do not expect to be breaking the 3-3.2 Ghz mark.