Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Post HWC Overclocking: LN2 Benchmarking on a Core i7 920 D0 - 5195 MHz! VIDEO!

First off, happy Canada Day to everyone! This was meant to be posted in the morning but Youtube was suffering from some upload issues. Sorry about the late post!

Last night 3oh6 and I got together and decided to see how far my 920 D0 chip could go on liquid nitrogen (LN2). I figured that it would be a great idea if I recorded a small video of what goes on behind the scenes when 3oh6 writes his reviews and to show just how fun it is playing with subzero temperatures and premium hardware! So, below is a video, which is also recorded in HD for those who have good internet speeds. But first off are some pictures!

Meet the Spectator(s):

Here's the one, and only, Mani (please correct me Jody if I wrote it incorrectly!). He is one of the laziest dogs I have ever seen. Jody saw a first time leap on someone when I walked in the door. That was the most energy we got out of him for the rest of the night. The rest of the time he slept right where we were doing testing. Don't forget that these pictures can enlarge when you click on them!

The Setup:

Here are the most important components that were used in this overclocking session:

OCZ Blade 3x2GB PC3-16000 CL7 DDR3
EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified
Intel Core i7 920 D0 stepping @ 5.195 GHz
EVGA GTX 295 1792MB GDDR3 Video Card
Corsair HX1000W Power Supply

And don't forget about 30 litres of LN2! Of course we didn't even get through even half of that, but we did plow few several litres of it.

The Challenge:

And here we go! Below is the video (don't mind the minor screwups) of 3oh6 and I burning through some LN2 to crank out some mightily impressive 3DMark06 scores.

Remember the video is also shot in HD so go to Youtube to see it in clear visibility!

Validation:

Of course, a video without showing the frequencies doesn't mean anything unless we post a screenshot of the actual numbers!

And for further icing on the cake, here is a SuperPi 32M screen shot at 5216 MHz!

And finally, here is just a CPU-Z validation shot of the highest we could get, which is a staggering 5320 MHz!

CPU-Z Validator 3.0

Special Thanks:

I would like to thank the HWC community for being such a great bunch of people and being friendly as much as possible. You guys really make us stand out in the Canadian computer community. Not only that, but we also have an effect on the world community. If it weren't for such great reviews, an outstanding forum, initiative, and enthusiasm, we wouldn't be where we are today. So thank you all.

And one huge thank you goes out to 3oh6 for taking some time from his regular duties and his resources to give me the chance of feeling like a champion of overclocking. It was a night well spent and I enjoyed every little bit of it. Boy, I wish my room was at the temperature of that room. And also, thank you for showing me your little setup of taking pictures. "It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake!"

Don't forget that as new hardware comes, Jody and I may do another one of these, depending on how the community responds to this!

Thank you for watching!

Eric
Old July 1, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow thank a lot for the vid guys and great clocks thank again guys
Old July 1, 2009, 05:21 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Great run! I'd love to see this first hand.
Old July 1, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

two i7 920 3845B026's and two 06 runs at 5195MHz...it is officially the motherboard holding these chips back due to BCLK. it is still pretty impressive that two different 920's can run 3D at 245BCLK+, relatively easily.

we didn't go all out with benches as we simply wanted to see what we could get in 32M and 06. the only real goal i guess we had was 10K CPU in 06 which was accomplished. last time Eric was over we fell just short. overclocking and benching is definitely something you should be doing in groups. i have been to a few gatherings this summer and more planned, they are always a good time. even if there is just a couple of you, it is still a good time. so get your buddies together, take some pics, and share some screens.

next time we get together though we will have to have GPU's on LN2 as well, make things interesting
Old July 1, 2009, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wicked Stuff.... a great way to get our community more involved, indeed! :)

Now if only 3oh6 could get his hands on one of those AMD 'TWKR' CPU's and set a new WR.....!
Old July 1, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually Prof, 3oh6 actually did do some tests when he was out of province. It turned out to be just as good as a retail chip, perhaps a little bit better. 3oh6 could enlighten us more if he wanted :P

EDIT: As a note I apologize for the somewhat blurry pictures of the rig and other things. It was done by freehand with no flash. Hopefully they're clear enough for you to see everything.
Old July 1, 2009, 08:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

The validation screenies aren't that clear when enlarged. Nonetheless, AWESOME.

Old July 1, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Someone does this nearly local in Ontario? Ive gotta check this out sometime. Thanks for the vid. Cool sh-tuff.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 1, 2009, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
The validation screenies aren't that clear when enlarged. Nonetheless, AWESOME.
Yeah sorry about that. I should make them a little smaller on zoom but that requires time. You need a large vertical resolution to see it more clearly (above 1080 vertical). I'll fix it tomorrow after work when I have time.

Another way to make it more visible is to use the Ctrl+mouse wheel to zoom in and out of the webpage.
Old July 1, 2009, 09:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

OK, I got it with the mouse wheel trick. Did you do a 1M SuperPI run? Was it like 6-7 seconds?