Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2009, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

We never ran SuperPi 1M. Personally, even after running it on my computer on air, it doesn't really serve a purpose because what's the point of running a benchmark for 7 seconds when the processor is designed to crunch numbers for extended periods of time? The larger benchmarks really show the stability and validation of the OC. I could be wrong, but this is my opinion.
Old July 2, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

in all fairness, what is the point of running 3DMark 06 or 32M under LN2? there really is no purpose and it certainly isn't because they are longer benchmarks. benchmarking isn't about stability or validation, it is about competition. whether you are competing with yourself (personal bests), other people (HWBot.org), or the setup itself...it all comes down to competing and having fun, for me anyway.

we simply didn't run 1M because i don't like 1M
Old July 2, 2009, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
in all fairness, what is the point of running 3DMark 06 or 32M under LN2? there really is no purpose and it certainly isn't because they are longer benchmarks. benchmarking isn't about stability or validation, it is about competition. whether you are competing with yourself (personal bests), other people (HWBot.org), or the setup itself...it all comes down to competing and having fun, for me anyway.

Hahaha so you mean you like competition for e-peen! Just kidding lol. But yes I do agree with you though that there really is no point of using LN2. But hey, we have it so why not!? There are many things that are like that though.
Old July 2, 2009, 07:40 AM
MVP

Man that is so damn geeky cool!!!

I wish you guys lived in my neck of the woods, or i was there! could learn so much. i would love to OC, but scares the poop outta me
Tathar WIP*Q9550*Gigabyte EP45-UD3P*OCZ Reaper PC-8500 4gbX2*OCZ Vertex 120gb*WD 1TB WD1001FALS*BFG GTX275*
Old July 2, 2009, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Nice stuff !

Old July 2, 2009, 08:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post

Just curious with the outcome, that's all. I don't really care with the purpose .

Old July 2, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome stuff Boy's, defiantly think you should shoot another vid when you do it again. Mabye get a couple more guys, I am sure there is plenty of HC member's that would love to see this first hand.

BTW thats one mellow dog Jody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 2, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Oh man that is so cool.

I SOO want to put my phII under LN2 just to see what it can do.

Also: I noticed when you were running 3dmark06 that the visuals on-screen were reduced (like in the firefly forest, there was no forest, or any grass for that matter)
was this because of the overclocking? or did you reduce the details yourself to get a higher score?

Old July 2, 2009, 09:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Great video bojangles your camera work was pretty darned good for freehand. Just curious what monitor were you using in that test? I'm looking for a 24" and the view angles on the bigger one used in the test seems pretty decent. Thanks guys for the fantastic video and Manny the dog sure looks all fired up heh.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Cool vid. One question though and I don't know if it was answered: what's with the detail settings on 3DM06? Firefly Forest had no leaves on the trees and Return to Proxycon had zero textures.

Thanks for the shout out. ;) Yes, I was working on vacation....when hotels weren't charging between $20-$30 per day for internet access.