Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2007, 09:43 AM
Rookie

Default First Post wanted to say hello!

Hello all.

I am new here and to overclocking. I am glad to see a Canadian site and look forward to spending time with you all.

If anyone could take time and look at my sig to check out my system and offer advice on where I should start that would be great. I have read some guides etc. but am still unsure if I picked the right components to get a 3ghz OC on my processor, Or if this system will perform for a budget based gaming rig.

Thanks for the time and any advice/pointers would be great.

James
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI
ThermalTake Kandalf LCS Case

Coming Soon!
EK Full coverage H2O blocks
250Gb Samsung SATA in Raid 0
Attemp to overclock for the first time :D.
Old July 17, 2007, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hey Hey James! Welcome to the forums my friend! +1 more to add to the Canadian enthusiast!

I had a look at your sig. Everything looks great! great rig there. Ppls here will definitely help you out to Oc your E6320! 3ghz is 100% possible for that processor. Might need some decent cooling thought. I just hate Intel's stock coolers...heh

I see you're getting watercooling pretty soon too huh ?

I happen to have some experience with that as well heh

What CPU cooling do you currently have ?

BTW: That'll make 2 James hanging onto the forum... My names James as well!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old July 17, 2007, 11:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the forums!!!!

I second what patriote said about 3G being fairly straight forward for that chip. I don't know the motherboard, but I'm fairly certain that just about any 680i chipset should have what it takes to get you there.

If you've got the time, can you post up some pics of that case/WC combination you've got??? They've been out for a while, but I haven't seen too many folks actually using them.

I'll also be watching to see what kind of temps you get with it once you start OC'ing. I'm pretty sure it's the same rad as my larger one, but I'm not sure if it's the higher flow pump or their lower flow pump.

Anywise..... welcome again to the forums. Look forward to seeing you around!!!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 17, 2007, 12:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Welcome. You should be able to get 3G without much difficulty. :)
Old July 17, 2007, 04:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

My case has he High flow pump 500lph with 3/8" tubuing and a 120x360 rad out the front. I will post pics no problem. (Battery is NFG on the DIGI Cam Had to Order a new one. Pics Soon!!!)

I also will be adding the single 120mm rad in the rear to chill the coolant back down after the processor and ram get their fill just so the GPU's get some good lower temp H2O. I was getting 20+C at idle and high 30's under load with my 530j P4 and X850XT PE so it is not that bad just depends on my ambiant temps and if the A/C is on or not...........

Talk more at you's all later when I get home (@ Work Right now) and I'll post pics of the system as it is now with the P4 and X850XT.
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI

Coming Soon!

Last edited by CxTurbo; August 2, 2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old August 2, 2007, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Guys I have put the new rig together and man am I pissed! I could not get the pc to post and it would give me a ram error with both blue or white dimms full. I updated the bios to a newer version, set Ram voltage to 2.2v and then I could get it to post and boot to windows system was slow as hell and would crash over night. I did some reading and found that this board and all based on the "Striker" platform have a ram hole as described by OCZ Tech forum. I tried the suggested timings of 5-5-5-15 2T and a voltage of between 2.4 and 1200MHz. That would not work either. Then I read that 1200 MHz RAM and this board are stable @ 2000 MHz Qdr I tried that and I would not post. Started to back down the FSB and goulb post @ 1880 but would lock in Windows. Then I just set AI to auto and now I get multiple BSOD regarding Page file.

All I can say is help me with a plan. What should I start with? I know that I can run a 1880 QDR stable but I refuse to run my $300 1150 MHz ram @ 800 MHZ.

Thanks for the time.

James
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI

Coming Soon!
Old August 2, 2007, 06:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Get a new motherboard? eVGA 680i is the best of the best probably. If you don't need SLI, look into a board based on the Intel P35 chipset. Those are the best overclocking boards at the moment.

Always great when you find out about issues after buying something isn't it?
Old August 2, 2007, 07:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Get a new motherboard? eVGA 680i is the best of the best probably. If you don't need SLI, look into a board based on the Intel P35 chipset. Those are the best overclocking boards at the moment.

Always great when you find out about issues after buying something isn't it?

No, It is not great............ They (Asus) has seemed to fix the problem with booting when all 4 dimms where full. OCZ has said they (Asus) are being non co-operative with fixing the bios Ram hole as it may slow down their board. I have always had Asus and never have I felt so screwed!!!!!!!!! I need SLI and the EVGA boards looked tempting but I went with the brand I knew. Plus reviews had been good from what I saw. I'm sure there has to be another way other then getting new ram. Asus will not provide help as I'm not using RAM on the QVL list (Not much is).....Could I RMA to get a new board, then sell the new one to get my money back out of it. That way I will not loose too much on getting a new 680I board.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

James
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI

Coming Soon!
Old August 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I guess it's too late to return it then? ASUS support is pretty bad. I've always used and trusted ASUS as well, and so far haven't hit any major issues. Since ASUS doesn't follow reference design like eVGA, XFX, BFG etc, thats why they have problems and also take a lot longer to fix those problems. When the company uses NVIDIA's reference design, it makes it a whole lot easier to fix things.

Maybe if you RMA it, the one you get back might just work? You never know. I guess you'd be able to sell it for more though if it was new and never used.

(I was being sarcastic by the way with the great thing)
Old August 3, 2007, 07:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post

(I was being sarcastic by the way with the great thing)
No worries dude I figured as much...........

If Asus does not follow reference design does that mean that I will not be able to fit full coverage blocks on my video cards or does that only for their mobo's?

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I am re-installing windows and hoping that some of my locking problems where due to a corrupt install. Bad news is my back-up also got corrupted so I have to reformat that drive also funny thing is that it is in a usb/1394 enclosure I am still not sure how that happened. I had a second back-up on another one of my hard drives @ one time. I hope it is still there!

James
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI

Coming Soon!