Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2007, 07:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Run everything at stock, except inc ram volts to 2.2v. Then boot with 1 stick only and see if it posts. You need to figure out the issue before you oc.
Old August 3, 2007, 08:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxTurbo View Post
If Asus does not follow reference design does that mean that I will not be able to fit full coverage blocks on my video cards or does that only for their mobo's?
I believe their video card's are reference design. The odd time they put on their own cooling system, but it looks like their 8800GTS is reference. So full cover blocks should work just fine.
Old August 3, 2007, 03:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Run everything at stock, except inc ram volts to 2.2v. Then boot with 1 stick only and see if it posts. You need to figure out the issue before you oc.
I have done this again and @ first also. Due to a corrupt windows install I believe this what may have been causing most of my problems. I have re-installed Windows upto SP2 and had to go to work. I set the AI to "Standard and seems to be ok. I will finish the driver install and start over from there.

Once that is done what should I start with the Ram or the CPU? I think I can run my ram @ 1200MHz with 5-5-5-15-2T timings @ 2.2-2.3v then I will use my Boot disc to run mem test and see if it is ok. I know that these boards seem to run stable @ that ram speed with a 500MHz FSB but how much voltage is safe to go to on my CPU? I think that I might be able to hit 450MHz @ 1.55V or so. Is that too much voltage? I am watercooled so heat is not and issue as of yet. Except the NB gets super hot. I put a 40mm fan on it for the time being to help with the lack of flow from an active CPU cooler. I have had my processor up to 437 FSB but the problems I was having with the memory (possibly incorrect ratio?) and OS where causing instability/Freezing after logon to xp. Some how part of the LAN driver went MIA and would cause the system to crash.

Any more help would be great. I just hate giving up, It's not in my nature to quit!!!!!!!!

James
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI
ThermalTake Kandalf LCS Case

Coming Soon!
EK Full coverage H2O blocks
250Gb Samsung SATA in Raid 0
Attemp to overclock for the first time :D.
Old August 3, 2007, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default stability

hi, glad you got things setup..you have a really nice system there. I am no expert but there are some good OC guides to be found in the forum...e.g. barbarossa (sorry about the spelling). The 680i chipset seems to need a bit more skill to OC to high cpu percentages. I would forget about the Asus AI overclock and go straight to the bios. First off find the cpu limits...so ease off on the RAM timings, speed and just work on the cpu first. you will need to be sure that the system is rock solid before beginning to OC...ven if that means running the RAM under stock. Run some benchmarks/stresstests. I cant see you having any issues with temps on the cpu with watercooling at the speeds, volts you want on c2d..just play with it and see how good the bin is....good luck, sure that RAM will get up to speed but i have a feeling the bios may need some research. plus oen of those cards is perhaps sitting on one of the MB chipsets so it gets a bit hot??

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old August 3, 2007, 08:25 PM
Rookie

Default More reading it is!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
hi, glad you got things setup..you have a really nice system there. I am no expert but there are some good OC guides to be found in the forum...e.g. barbarossa (sorry about the spelling). The 680i chipset seems to need a bit more skill to OC to high cpu percentages. I would forget about the Asus AI overclock and go straight to the bios. First off find the cpu limits...so ease off on the RAM timings, speed and just work on the cpu first. you will need to be sure that the system is rock solid before beginning to OC...ven if that means running the RAM under stock. Run some benchmarks/stresstests. I cant see you having any issues with temps on the cpu with watercooling at the speeds, volts you want on c2d..just play with it and see how good the bin is....good luck, sure that RAM will get up to speed but i have a feeling the bios may need some research. plus oen of those cards is perhaps sitting on one of the MB chipsets so it gets a bit hot??

Hello,

I always "Play" in the Bios, I have read that was the best place to work from. The Ai function I was speaking of resides in the tweaking part of the bios and is set to Auto @ default. You are right about the heat part and one of my cards does sit over the SB but that does not get too bad. The NB on the other hand is what I put the fan on to help. I will read more on the C2D's and see if I can find a Max voltage that I should work from.

Thanks for the help. Camera will be working soon. The new battery is charging now. The case is a mess ATM but I will still post. I lost the pics with the old set-up but I hate to live in the past.

James
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI

Coming Soon!
Old August 3, 2007, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default right then

whoops sorry about the AI assumption..not sure about the auto features on your board, if there anything like the asus8n boards concerning the memory then they seem to be good for ocing the cpu but less good at extracting the right performance from the memory. I still havent worked my boards mem settings out yet for higher ocs. I just use manual settings to adjust "NB to SB"and the FSB at higher ocs... anyway sure the pros can help you...as for NB temps???

Old August 4, 2007, 12:17 PM
Rookie

Default Good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
whoops sorry about the AI assumption..not sure about the auto features on your board, if there anything like the asus8n boards concerning the memory then they seem to be good for ocing the cpu but less good at extracting the right performance from the memory. I still havent worked my boards mem settings out yet for higher ocs. I just use manual settings to adjust "NB to SB"and the FSB at higher ocs... anyway sure the pros can help you...as for NB temps???
No worries. I have read that high speed ram is a pain to overclock on the 680i chipset. I will have to figure out my timings and such to get 1200MHz out of my ram.

Sytem appears to be stable now and I have started to O/C the processor. I am pushing 450MHz FSB at the moment and am going for 500MHz. Temp are hitting 40* but I'm @ 1.425v. I may lap the CPU/waterblock when I get the other blocks. I have been told that I can push the CPU to 1.52v but no more depending on temps.

I will need help with the ram soon I'm sure, Even if it is just to tighten up the timings @ 800MHz untill Asus fix's the Bios memory hole or OCZ comes up with an acceptable fix.

Thanks for the help thus far guys.

James
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI

Coming Soon!
Old August 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default good its stable

... The 680i boards have a lot of potential from what ive read... As for your water system is it refrigerated? excuse my ignorance..waters amazing at cooling but quite good at holding onto to its heat-so 40oc may not be too bad if the ambients very humid. I doubt the lcpu oad isnt too far above that as the water will absorb the excess nicely?? Hopefully a 680i pro will give you a hand at extreme ocing...

Old August 6, 2007, 09:39 AM
Rookie

I'm sure that the case temp is whats killing me. Ambient in my house is like 23.5* Video cards and the NB are Hot. I have been looking into Cooling the whole show but just the v-reg and NB/SB blocks are a mint. I have a Ticket in @ NCIX to see how long the waiting list is for an EVGA 680I Black Pearl and then I will get the EK blocks for the Video cards as they will not fit on this mobo because of the SB waterblock. They are designed to work with the 8800 Ultra Black Pearl cards. I would love to get a set of those but can't afford $2K for two cards, LOL.............. I will keep you informed.

James
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI

Coming Soon!
Old August 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
Rookie

Default Pics I promised!

Sorry about the mess. I will clean it all up when I get the other blocks or the Black Pearl.

James
OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
Asus EN8800GTS in SLI

Coming Soon!