Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2009, 04:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the only time i have had that happen is when there is not enough vcore. motherboard test your overclock and reset everything when it's not stable.( that's just my take on it )
Old June 27, 2009, 07:14 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

It seems any voltage I set it at that isn't the default (1.15v) does not allow my computer to come out of standby nicely. I managed to get a 3.0Ghz overclock with stock voltage and I guess that will do for stability's sake. I still have a feeling it's my PSU.

Old June 27, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I don't think so.... those boards have quite a bit of vdroop, which basically means that if you put 1.40v for your CPU in BIOS.... it will only give you 1.35v for real. So if you think your CPU can run at 3.5GHz on 1.30v(this is an example!) you should probably enter 1.35v. This requires a bit of testing on your motherboard to see how much your voltage drops.... or purchase a multimeter and check accurately how much your CPU voltage under load is. :)

Also... when an overclock does not go well for whatever reason, these Gigabyte boards completely reset themselves.... EXCEPT for the voltage settings. So, for example, when your FSB is too high, it won't start, it will then reset and restart. Once again.... be patient because this requires a lot of testing on to see what your board and CPU are capable of.

Oh, before I forget... do not manually set your timings just yet before you figured out how fast your CPU can go... It is easier to focus on your CPU first and then on your RAM timings. Make sure by using the system memory multiplier, that your RAM speed is as close to 800MHz as you can get it. I also don't think your RAM is capable of doing 1T so leave it a stock: 2T

Good luck!

Last edited by Prof. Dr. Silver; June 27, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old June 27, 2009, 10:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I still am not sure how that affects my standby issue. I have run both IntelBurnTest 10 passes and OCCT linpack for 1 hour and have passed both. It seems to only be when I enter Standby and then try to power on that my motherboard does it's little freak out. The only option is to shut down now, which isn't really very pleasing.