Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2009, 05:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Phenom II X2 550BE (UNLOCKED)

Checked out NCIX last week and decided to check out the X2 if it would indeed unlock for me. I bought a BIOSTAR 790GX board with it which is known to unlock the 720BE and some reported success with this chip also.

The stuff came in over the weekend though I have to hunt down one of the boxes as the CP guy didn't stop by my house and just sent it directly to the Post Office. NCIX also sent 2 boxes and separated the CPU and the board.

Last night, I remember seeing a post at XS where they posted which stepping was successful unlocking the "dormant" cores and checked it out to see if my stepping had been unlocked before. Fail. One person tried it and failed but using a Gigabyte board. I looked at the other steppings and some will unlock on certain boards and will fail on others. Interesting.

So here it goes. Turned it on and she's alive. Checked the BIOS, all seems good. Set ACC to Auto, saved and restart. Keeping my fingers crossed. She came back to life. Checked BIOS again and ,VOILA, recognized as 4 cores. Some people were successful booting to BIOS but will fail to load the OS. Oh wait, I don't have an OS yet. If the OS will install using 4 cores, it should be good. Installed Windows 7 without a hitch.

At default with CNQ Enabled.

Running OCCT at default, 100% CPU usage.

Old June 23, 2009, 05:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

1 hour OCCT at default was stable. So, with that result, I had to try a little OC. BIOSTAR's BIOS has automatic overclock options so I tried that first, V8 is at 3.5GHz. Tried V12, 3.7GHZ. Booted but rebooted 1minute into OCCT. The max OC I got was 3.8GHZ but was unstable within the first minute of OCCT.

So I went back to 3.5 and did OCCT and she seems stable.

For the price I paid for the board and chip, this setup is something for those in a tight budget to consider although unlocking the cores is hit and miss, I am fortunate enough to unlock the other cores. A quad for a price of dual core. The only drawback is that Hardware Monitor is saying 0 degrees Celsius for the 4 cores but when I did OCCT fan speed went up as soon as cpu usage hit 100%, so I guess that's not something to really worry about.

I will try to do more tweaking next week if time permits. I also need to read on overclocking AMD chips. For now, I am very glad with the result. It will never be as good as my E8400 but at least it is a quad. A cheap one too.

Old June 23, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Its weird that it lists it as a 940 BE instead of a 550 BE o.O nice bonus though 4 cores for the price of 2.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 23, 2009, 06:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Its weird that it lists it as a 940 BE instead of a 550 BE
CPU-Z is saying X4 B50. 940 is the socket.

Old June 23, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nice 2 free cores wicked.
Old June 23, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My 720 unlocked shows via cpuz as a x4 20.

CPU-Z Validator 3.0

Unfortunately mine seams to have hit a wall at 3503 anything over that is a no go doesnt matter what volts I throw at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 23, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SWEET!!! Good JOb, now can the Asus M2A VM unlock stuff??

-Plato
Old June 23, 2009, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

luck of the draw quads can't go wrong there if your going amd very nice to see the little guy get ahead. Come on amd the more they push intel the better for all
Old June 23, 2009, 08:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
SWEET!!! Good JOb, now can the Asus M2A VM unlock stuff??
I don't believe so because it is an older chipset and your BIOS should have the ACC option which, unfortunately for you, SB710 (very few will unlock) and SB750 only has.

Old June 23, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You need the ACC feature to be able to unlock processors. I think this is only available on the 790 motherboards. Man, I can only imagine how much money AMD is losing by binning their Phenom IIs like this.

@OP. Congrats on unlocking that Phenom II. Quad core processors for cheap! We mustn't get our hopes too high though because there's probably only a small percentage of Phenom IIs that can be unlocked.