Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2009, 06:35 PM
MVP

Default What should you be mentaly ready for before overclocking?

What should I be ready for when overclocking? For instance I used clockgen overclocked by a single mhz and it went funky, I then thought I busted it because when I pulled the plug and plugged it back in it started then crashed, but it seems fine now:P! What is the best procedure if the screen goes funky or locks up when overclocking? And what is the worst that could happen?

Last edited by andynerd; June 1, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old June 1, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Weill, It's tru that windows bios flash s*** more than a Dyson vaccum, Flashing from a floppy is the safest way ( realy safe ) I have never see a floppy flash failed before but it's tru it's harder for most of us. Try to see if no one can help you in your near.
The only way I know to OC when you have no OC option in bios ( well there is 2 way to do )
1: when you board builder provide a software specialy design for your Mobo like Gigabyte with the Easy Tuner software ( wich are pretty good I like them ).
2: sorry about but change your board is the second way...some people have try to make OC software but they are rare and crappy..Most of the time they just don't work and cause crash and wierd settings like you up the Vcore from 0.1 and it get 0.3 down? But It's a long time since I see one of these soft, maybe people have understand they don't work and stop used them. But I can be wrong maybe there is one good wich I just never see before.

That's all I got to say

Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 1, 2009, 06:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Weill, It's tru that windows bios flash s*** more than a Dyson vaccum, Flashing from a floppy is the safest way ( realy safe ) I have never see a floppy flash failed before but it's tru it's harder for most of us. Try to see if no one can help you in your near.
The only way I know to OC when you have no OC option in bios ( well there is 2 way to do )
1: when you board builder provide a software specialy design for your Mobo like Gigabyte with the Easy Tuner software ( wich are pretty good I like them ).
2: sorry about but change your board is the second way...some people have try to make OC software but they are rare and crappy..Most of the time they just don't work and cause crash and wierd settings like you up the Vcore from 0.1 and it get 0.3 down? But It's a long time since I see one of these soft, maybe people have understand they don't work and stop used them. But I can be wrong maybe there is one good wich I just never see before.

That's all I got to say

Ask for more
sorry i changed the topic :P
Old June 1, 2009, 07:00 PM
Top Prospect

Safest way is still off a floppy, or cd or another bootable media. (Use a floppy)
I would never recommend a windows flash.

Just read the procedure till you understand and know it by Heart.

Chances are you would need to experience a power failure while updating for it to go bad.
Back up your present bios before doing anything.
If the bios chip fails during the flash (highly unlikely) you can always order a replacement
for a nominal fee plus shipping.

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2
Old June 1, 2009, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Does your computer even support overclocking? Many more generic motherboards don't, to the point where even trying it results in an instant lockup.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:14 PM
MVP

Probably what mine is doing lol would be nice though then again the mobo automatically changes the clock. At full load it is at 3398.30mhz and idle it is around
1500mhz-2200mhz.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:15 PM
MVP

Also what is a good overclocking software? I want to over clock the cpu only/maybe the integrated graphics/ and maybe the ram(which is only at a slow 200mhz a stick) probably defiantly in the future when this becomes the spare pc.
Old June 2, 2009, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Default Uhh..

If it has integrated video, chances are it won't have many overclocking options at all.

Software OC's are unstable at best.
Old June 2, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Usually when the screen goes funky it means that either an error has occured or your chip is unstable at those speeds. You really shouldn't be worried about anything, as long as you stay within the limits of your CPU. ALWAYS DO YOUR RESEARCH. Look at the voltage limits of your CPU to be safe. Going a little bit over, especially for your first time, is fine, but don't exceed it too much. Also, make sure you have decent airflow over that CPU otherwise you won't really be able to get far with it.

Good luck. It's fun and a great learning experience.

EDIT: Oh, and the BIOS is your friend. I would highly suggest overclocking from there.