Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default vcore fluctuations and oc

Hi, I have overclocked an opteron 165 to 2.7 at stock volts idle air 31oc, load 41-44oc. Just added some AS ceramique although it has not made any difference yet after 7 hours. Vcore fluctuates sporadically from 1.4 to 1.49, generally its 1.44 (asus probe a8n32slideluxe). Is it normal to see fluctuations in the vcore over a few hours? was the same before i used the ceramique.
cheers, magictorch
Old July 3, 2007, 10:27 PM

My System Specs

don't trust software Vcore readings, if you really want to know what it is, use a Digital multimeter.
Old July 4, 2007, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default good to know

hi thats good to know...ive got it set at stock int he bios...PSU seems stable no variation on the 12vrails or the other volts just the vcore...i guess its software. the ceramique is still no different to the generic paste i used
Old July 4, 2007, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you may need to give it time and hopefully you put it on right.
Old July 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
JayDee

As for the Ceramique - if your temps are 31 idle and 44 on an overclock load that's pretty darn good IMO.
Old July 4, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default expectations

oh thats good to know about the temps...idled a little higher today but room was very hot..and prime95torture test got it to 47oc max. i guess thats ok but was expecting some change form the generic stuff. I may try and reseat as ive seen it go down to 27oc idle. does not compare with those amazing core2duo temps though. cheers,
Old July 4, 2007, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
oh thats good to know about the temps...idled a little higher today but room was very hot..and prime95torture test got it to 47oc max. i guess thats ok but was expecting some change form the generic stuff. I may try and reseat as ive seen it go down to 27oc idle. does not compare with those amazing core2duo temps though. cheers,
Your letting it cool then heat right?
That is what cures TIM the heat makes it expand and fill all the tiny crevices, then shut down and let it cool it will contract, all the expanding and contracting will "cure" it.
That said, I prefer AS5 myself.
Was you CPU-Z real time clock going up and down along with your vcore?
And as stated already, dont ever trust monitoring software buy a cheap multimeter, heck radioshack has them for peanuts, or spend alittle more elsewhere, but they are pretty cheap and invaluable to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 4, 2007, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default brakein

no i wasnt heating and cooling...dont know much about this so was just letting it run a bit. The vcore was steady in cpuz and bios...was just my asus AI, the probe software gives a steady reading. i think i may have messed up the ceramique install-10-12oc between load and idle. Found it difficult to spread evenly--its very thick...cleaned heatsink and cpu well with arctic 1,2 cleaners. maybe try after WE if dont see an improvement in temps after heat/cool. then i may order some as5 after 2nd go. cheers, magictorch
Old July 5, 2007, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
no i wasnt heating and cooling...dont know much about this so was just letting it run a bit. The vcore was steady in cpuz and bios...was just my asus AI, the probe software gives a steady reading. i think i may have messed up the ceramique install-10-12oc between load and idle. Found it difficult to spread evenly--its very thick...cleaned heatsink and cpu well with arctic 1,2 cleaners. maybe try after WE if dont see an improvement in temps after heat/cool. then i may order some as5 after 2nd go. cheers, magictorch

CPU-Z doesn't read the vcore on the fly, and the BIOS is a decent place t oget a somewhat accurate vcore reading. But, as mentioned before, multi-meters really help.
Old July 5, 2007, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
CPU-Z doesn't read the vcore on the fly, and the BIOS is a decent place t oget a somewhat accurate vcore reading. But, as mentioned before, multi-meters really help.
Well my vcore does go up and down, in bios, my gaurd (software monitoring) and with a multimeter, I can watch it go up and down in CPU-Z right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton