Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2009, 11:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
when i try to oc with mushkinsean's suggestion and it wont boot... but if i only change timing memory such as 5-5-5-15 and its not stable in about 20 mins as occt's error message said...

should i rasie more vcore or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
The MB will loosen the timings automatically if left in Auto. It seemed to be overdoing it though. I saw a bunch of 6's in my timings if I recal
Yes, but it might run stable @ 1140 MHz with the looser timings and after you see what timings it set on it's own through cpuz, you can then work your way down.

Aside from that.... If voltage to the CPU and NB doesn't work, upping the voltage on the memory some more, just might. Just that it also voids the warranty and might fry the RAM as well :(

Last edited by Lima; June 18, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old June 17, 2009, 11:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

And don't forget. 1140 MHz is a lot, don't kill yourself trying to reach it. By runing you CPU n' RAM at a 1 to 1 ratio you will be over 900 MHz with the FSB you are using and will most probably be able to use 5-5-5-12 timings or better! :D
Old June 18, 2009, 07:38 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

My brother has Q9450 with the EP45-UD3P and he was able to hit 3.8 GHz but was temperature limited. His cooler was the Vendetta 2 in a Antec 902 case, all case fans on high. Temps were in the high 70's. He hit 4 GHz but the thermal throttling kicked in.

4 GHz is doable but I'm pretty sure your going to need water cooling, or something thats is noticeably better then the Vendetta 2
Old June 18, 2009, 06:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Don't wanna jack the thread but, I have a Q6600 and I want to do this with my CPU as well. I just have one question...

Will I still have to up the VTT as well when doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerenceJ View Post
hmm, maybe your CPU just doesn't like that speed

If you want to see if your board can do that FSB and know that its not your CPU

Drop your muliplier to 7, drop your Vcore to say 1.35 in BIOS, and leave everything else the same, this way you can see if its your board, and factor out the CPU for now.

by dropping the CPU multiplier, 7 X 470 = 3290
Old June 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
And don't forget. 1140 MHz is a lot, don't kill yourself trying to reach it. By runing you CPU n' RAM at a 1 to 1 ratio you will be over 900 MHz with the FSB you are using and will most probably be able to use 5-5-5-12 timings or better! :D
Agree, I've manually set my timings to 5,5,5,15 @1:1 (although it seems to work fine with slightly tighter timings). I would rather take RAM out of the picture for now. Once I have finished tweaking the CPU I'll tweak the RAM a bit.