Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2009, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default So, I just dont get my Q6600...

Background:
As some of you more regulars may be aware, I was hunting down a new motherboard to upgrade from my P5K-Premium. I wanted something to SLI my gtx275 with, and that was PCI2.0 compliant. I also was positive that my board was holding me back on my 3.4ghz overclock. Since I'm under volted at 3.4ghz stable, and Ive cranked the volts to 1.4 to try to get past 3.4, but she just wouldn't go.

Long story short, I literally fell into an ASUS Striker Extreme (680i) for a big fat $0.
Nice eh?

Anyways. I got the thing installed, up and running, and started tweaking away like a kid at Christmas. Lo and Behold; I cannot crack 3.4ghz still. And for the life of me I cannot figure out why.

Ive tried feeding it volts on this board (1.4v), nothing. Tried moving ramslots, syncing, unsyncing, and fiddling with the ram in any number of ways to make sure it wasn't the issue...nope. Tried upping the FSB to like 450, and lowering the multi to 8...Still wont go past 3.4...So I said screw it, cranked the voltage back down, and set it to 3.33ghz, and started to under volt it some more.

Now...Now here is the -real- kicker. I'm 4 hours Prime95 stable on 1.05 volts, 3.33ghz...That is not a typo. One point zero five volts.

Is my chip just brick walled at 3.4? If I cant dial in faster the 3.4 no matter how much voltage I throw at it...is it just 'the max' that this puppy can do? *sigh* I mean, its cool and all that I might be able to get this thing running at 3.33 on <1v...but st son. Ive got all this fancy-shmancy watercooling, "super overclocking" board. Damnit, I wanted to hit like 3.8 or 4ghz!

Instead. Well. I dunno. I'm out of ideas. I guess I'm just brick walled at 3.4 eh?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 2, 2009, 04:43 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

In order to hit 3.6, you need at least 1.5V. In order to hit 3.8, you need 1.55V. And Q6600s that have hit 4.0 stable are very few.

And of course those Vcore number will vary....
Old May 2, 2009, 04:44 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I had to run 1.45 volts to get my q6600 to hit 3.6(400fsb 8x multiplier). 1.5125 to get 3890. Ran it at 1.5125 for over a year no problems, watercooled also.
Old May 2, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Really? 1.5v? I thought I read about people hitting 3.6+ without that much voltage.

Hrm. Well its worth a shot, besides my temps at 3.4@1.4v were 50c loaded, so I still have alot of thermal headroom I guess.

Time to reboot and give it a whirrl.

Thanks Charlie.
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 2, 2009, 04:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't got past 65C under load.
Old May 2, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol.

*slaps the "That was Easy" button*

Thanks for the slap in the face Charlie, I needed it it seems. Seriously. Thanks!

400fsb @ 1.5v, and I'm sitting in windows typing this, firing up Prim95 as we speak. Not too happy with my idle temps. 45c sitting in windows? Seems a little high....Oh well.

Hope my temps stay south of 60, so I can push for 3.8!
Quote:
Old May 2, 2009, 05:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Idle temps is fine. Don't forget about the NB volts too.
Old May 2, 2009, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

10 min stable, not alot I know, but it atleast gets you a feel. Temps capped out at 60, so I dont know if I'll be able to shoot for 3.8

I may tho. I literally went from 1.05v at 370fsb to 1.5v at 400 fsb, so I might be able to dial down the volts a bit, or crank up the fsb.

I'll try to get 3.6 stable first, and fiddle with it from there, probably raising the fsb till she craps out on me

What kind of volts/temps are okay on this 680? That NB chipset is HOT to the touch. I'm really unfamiliar with these 600+ series nVidia chips, and what I can do to them.
Quote:
Old May 2, 2009, 05:13 PM
Banned

450... from what I read from that board you lucky if you go over 430, some go higher than 450, but they are exception. They are board that can have good OC capability or bad one,

Get an other board. but don't hope to get 4,0 on those Quad core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Background:
.......... Tried upping the FSB to like 450, ..
Old May 2, 2009, 05:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Slap a fan on that NB HSF fast. Be very careful with that board, the memory controllers are known to be "difficult", and tend to die rather quickly, taking with them ram sticks...