Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I tried 3.6ghz (425x8) @ 1.4850 vcore. It was stable when I was using my computer everyday, but it was crashing during w/e while folding 24/7 for 2 days without me using it. The BSOD was related to video drivers when I checked in windows debugger. My temps were like 62 max with a Xigmatek s1283. I'm now at 3.2 ghz because the summer is coming and it's too hot in my room. Never played with the nb voltage, maybe I should! Anyways, my rig is out for now since my GPU is in RMA and BFG ****** up (card received monday but they updated the RMA friday after a message from me)

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old May 3, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just passed 333x9 @ 1.1v (vdroop puts it at 1.07 via CPU-Z) 5 hour OCCT stress mark. Going to start dialing it up again. 1.2v@ 350x9 sounds like the next good testing point.

I'm wondering if my issues are NB Volts. I didnt play with them much beyond stock, mainly because like Charlie said, that chipset runs HOT. Its got a fan on it now, but damn, if I throw more volts (and thus heat) at it...Id start to get pritty concerned.

Maybe I should anyways, and if the board/ram goes, I'll have a good excuse with the wife to build a new i7 rig?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 3, 2009, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

You should be able to push at least 1.4v through the northbridge without it heating up THAT bad.

Do you know what the temps of your NB is currently?
Old May 3, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

According to nVidias monitor, my temps and volts are as follows

CPU: 1.2v (vdroop is excessive on this board if thats what I had it set to, losing .1v to droop...)
FSB: 1.3v (stock volts)
HT(SPP-MCP): 1.45v (stock volts)
MCP: 55c (is this reasonable?) @ 1.5v (stock)
System (Northbridge?): 35c, volts not listed. I think 1.2v is stock?
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 3, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Vcore:

Its set to 1.2 in the bios, but idling in windows its 1.1v, droops to 1.07v under load. Prime95 5 hours stable, as seen above.

Maybe the bios is just out 100mv? It would explain alot.
Quote:
Old May 3, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

1) Don't bother with OCCT I find it very unpredictable and unreliable.
2) Which direction is the air blowing on the NB heatsink? Out of heatsink or into heatsink? I've always found air blowing INTO heatsink works better.

If your northbridge is in fact only at 35 degrees its still quite cool if it started to climb into high 40s low 50s I'd worry.
Old May 3, 2009, 03:41 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Don't bother with OCCT I find it very unpredictable and unreliable.
Since when?
Old May 3, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
1) Don't bother with OCCT I find it very unpredictable and unreliable.
2) Which direction is the air blowing on the NB heatsink? Out of heatsink or into heatsink? I've always found air blowing INTO heatsink works better.

If your northbridge is in fact only at 35 degrees its still quite cool if it started to climb into high 40s low 50s I'd worry.
I find OCCT to be better than Prime95.

@Sagath. You either got a really lucky chip, or OCCT/CPU-Z is reporting the wrong voltages.
Old May 3, 2009, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I find OCCT to be better than Prime95.

@Sagath. You either got a really lucky chip, or OCCT/CPU-Z is reporting the wrong voltages.
The VID on my Q66 is 1.2v. I'm sure its just my selection in boards thats holding this thing back. Maybe I should sell the chip, and both boards. Someone else can probably get this puppy to 3.8+

And then, maybe, I'll just move to i7...

Edit: Whats the valu on a 680i, P5k-Premium Wifi, and a 1.2VID Q66? Now Ive got myself thinking...
Quote:
Old May 4, 2009, 10:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So... where you got it running at now?

I got mine 8hrs Prime95 stable running 9x370/3.33GHz at 1.30625V BIOS (1.344V in OS, my board over volts CPU voltage). It is pretty much as high as I will go for now as it would go as high as 60 to 62 degrees at times during the Prime95 torture test. I am thinking that I will have to lower it soon as well due to the oncoming summers heat, it was around 18 degrees outside yesterday when I started testing and fell a bit during the night.