Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My hottest core is sitting at 54C and I won't go above that..... not until I get my system watercooled.... I'm currently Q6600 @ 3.0ghz @ 1.36volts.

3.33ghz at around one volt is awesome. I honestly think I would set it to that and call it a day.... after a 24 hour stress test.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nope. Shes not happening. I cant even get it stable on this boar at my old clocks I had running for ~12 months on the Deluxe.

I'm really glad I didnt pay money for this POS especially 'retail' when this board was ~$400. I'm getting pretty disgruntled with ASUS in general actually. Thats two boards that both have 'issues'. My P5k I can only run Seagate drives, or it just doesnt play nice. And now this 'overclocking' board, that I absolutly cannot overclock worth a damn on...

*sigh* And of course I told Lc0g I was going to pass on his 750i because I got this board.

I can tell you with 100% certanty, as a LONG time Asus user, I will be trying someone new after these two boards.

Back to the hunt for a new mobo I guess
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 3, 2009, 07:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I got my Q6600 to 3.6GHz (9x400) and passed the Auto (1h) hour test in OCCT using 1.43750V BIOS which showed up as 1.47V once in the OS. Temps where borderline though at 71 degrees Celsius and, when it would go higher to 72... it would be only for like a second. All this on a Xigmatek HDT-S1283

I was hoping that I wasn't gonna need that much power for 3.6GHz and, I won't be doing any more testing at these speeds again until I get better cooling mounted!

A couple quick question though...

How does one know when he's got the right amount of voltage going through the north bridge, how is this calculated?

And, how do we calculate to find the right GTL Ref voltages settings on the charts?
Old May 3, 2009, 07:32 AM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Nope. Shes not happening. I cant even get it stable on this boar at my old clocks I had running for ~12 months on the Deluxe.

I'm really glad I didnt pay money for this POS especially 'retail' when this board was ~$400. I'm getting pretty disgruntled with ASUS in general actually. Thats two boards that both have 'issues'. My P5k I can only run Seagate drives, or it just doesnt play nice. And now this 'overclocking' board, that I absolutly cannot overclock worth a damn on...
I have only ever run WD drives with my P5K and so far no problems ever. Given seagate's history with SATA drives and broken firmware, I sure won't be trying those anytime soon. I am running it in AHCI mode (which intel says not to do, but hey it works much better that way with 6GB ram).

I never got the impression the P5K was much of an overclocking board, although I certainly never tried. A Q6600 at stock speed generates enough heat for an HTPC as it is.

So far I have used the Asus VL/I-486SV2G, P5A, P6NP5, A7V, A8V-DX, A7N8X-DX, A7N8X-E-DX, P4P800, P5B, P5K, P5Q Pro, and probably a few others, and I am still very happy with Asus. Very few of those boards ever had any issues, and any issues they had were very minor. I am quite surprised you have had any issues running any HD on the P5K. My next board will probably be a P6T.

Last edited by lsorense; May 3, 2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
I got my Q6600 to 3.6GHz (9x400) and passed the Auto (1h) hour test in OCCT using 1.43750V BIOS which showed up as 1.47V once in the OS. Temps where borderline though at 71 degrees Celsius and, when it would go higher to 72... it would be only for like a second. All this on a Xigmatek HDT-S1283

I was hoping that I wasn't gonna need that much power for 3.6GHz and, I won't be doing any more testing at these speeds again until I get better cooling mounted!

How does one know when he's got the right amount of voltage going through the north bridge, how is this calculated?

And, how do we calculate to find the right GTL Ref voltages settings on the charts?
As Charlie mentioned earlier, 65c is about the max you want to see. I would definitely wait for better cooling.

As for your NB questions, basically just raise it up one (or two) settings until it goes stable. The hard part is knowing when its a NB voltage issue, vs a Core Voltage issue thats causing you to crash/lockup.

I'm really not going to bother tweaking this board any further. Its just too weird. I'm sold that its just not a well designed board and has (many) poor bios to really do anything realistic with. Sometimes its stable for hours at 3.6ghz, then crashes, I back it off to 3.4ghz with the same volts, and it crashes in 10 min, all with reasonable temps. RAM ratios are out to lunch, and can cause crashes on their own. Hell, half the time this board wont even boot with stock 266fsb and the ram locked at 800mhz! And dont even get me started on the states of the BIOS's for this board. Holy crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorense View Post
I have only ever run WD drives with my P5K and so far no problems ever. Given seagate's history with SATA drives and broken firmware, I sure won't be trying those anytime soon. I am running it in AHCI mode (which intel says not to do, but hey it works much better that way with 6GB ram).

I never got the impression the P5K was much of an overclocking board, although I certainly never tried. A Q6600 at stock speed generates enough heat for an HTPC as it is.
Yeah, there was two revisions made of the P5K-Premiums, not including the non-premium brands. One revision of Premium was OK sometimes, and the other was not. By the time I even heard/expierenced the issue with my WD, it was too late to RMA it.

In hindsight, (thanks to Charlie telling me!) had I known I would have to feed that much voltage to get my Q66 to hit 3.6+, I think the Premium would have done it. But I'm still pigeon-holed between a poor HDD chipset and no SLI/PCI2.0 on the Premium, or I can get SLI/PCI2.0 and decent HDD support on the Striker, but cant overclock worth a damn.

Whats the lesser of two evils? Probably this Striker? *sigh* Will PCI-e 1.0 hinder my gtx275 that much?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 3, 2009, 08:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

That's where the science of overclocking ends, and the art begins.... :)

Not much help I'm afraid, but much of it is just trial and error, and an awful lot of stress testing at different settings. After a while you'll get a feel for what your hardware needs based on things like how long it will prime before crapping out (2 min, sub 30 min, sub 2 hrs, and around 5 hours have always been critical points for me), and how it craps out (i.e. just one core, and always the same core suggests Vcore, while BSOD or freezing after a certain period of time suggests NB Voltage).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 3, 2009, 08:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That's where the science of overclocking ends, and the art begins.... :)

Not much help I'm afraid, but much of it is just trial and error, and an awful lot of stress testing at different settings. After a while you'll get a feel for what your hardware needs based on things like how long it will prime before crapping out (2 min, sub 30 min, sub 2 hrs, and around 5 hours have always been critical points for me), and how it craps out (i.e. just one core, and always the same core suggests Vcore, while BSOD or freezing after a certain period of time suggests NB Voltage).
Great, thanks wilson. I feel relief already :)

Can someone give me a rundown of what and when to use the different torture test in Prime95?
Old May 3, 2009, 08:28 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataxpert View Post
+1 with 3.0 , I review the list of your build, and the NB does not seam to be WC, 3.0 do you means the voltage regulator of the memories controler , or the controler himself ?, What I want to know if it's only that board than have this problem , or all the 680i
All 680i chipset boards - I've had 4 of those, and all 4 died because the memory controller went berzerk, taking the ram sticks with it. Even my last 790i died last week, same issue.

No overclock either on all, stock volts all over the place.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Great, thanks wilson. I feel relief already :)

Can someone give me a rundown of what and when to use the different torture test in Prime95?
I've always used the standard blend as I feel it gives the whole system a good workout.

My own regime involves doing a 1M super-pi, followed by at least 10 minutes prime as I'm bumping up FSB. Once I get close to my target I'll go for a 1 or 2 hour OCCT, some 3Dmark runs, and finally a minimum 8 hour blended prime for stability.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 3, 2009, 09:00 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I can get mine to 3.6 on my 680i with 1.475v. It took 1.485v on my P5Q Pro. I could go either 450*8 or 400*9 on the P5Q, but have trouble at 450*8 with this 680i. 400*9 no problems...

When all men think alike, nobody thinks very much.
Walter Lippman

2600K @ 4.8GHz 1.44v
ASRock Extreme4
GTX 460 SLI