Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2009, 09:30 AM
Associate Review Editor

What pics?
Old April 27, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

link@1 post or at toms
Old April 27, 2009, 10:33 AM
Associate Review Editor

Ah, Tom's pics, I thought maybe someone else had uploaded a gallery.
Old April 27, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nope i don't think anyone else took pics would be nice
Old April 27, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What happened with freestyle?
Old April 27, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

hey guys...sorry i couldn't update during the event but it was just too hectic and i didn't have a laptop so i was pretty much incomunicatto throughout the weekend.

here is how things broke down, competition wise...the party fun won't be discussed because, well, it just doesn't need to be :D

on saturday morning we were let into the room to start on our setups after doing some interviews and stuff. i was sitting beside Chris and Miah (gomeler and miahallen). prep went really well and i was up and "running" about an hour before SPi was suppose to start. i opted to not prep the GPU as i had never touched the board and wanted to spend that extra hour getting a feel for the board. the plan was to run SPi for an hour and a bit then start the GPU prep. that didn't happen as i spent the better part of that hour troubleshooting. turns out, i couldn't get POST after a CMOS clear unless i booted with only one stick in the outside slot, save&exit, second stick in second slot, save&exit, third stick in first slot. it was a bit of a hassle and with the amount of times i had to clear CMOS, from not being familiar with the board, i chewed through the time with reckless abandon.

needless to say, SPi had already started before i even got cold after doing some memory testing and getting familiar with the board. one word about the Gigabyte's. don't change something unless you need to...AUTO is your friend. the real problem came when my CPU topped out at 4750MHz for 8M...absolutely horrible. lot's of guys got bad chips. it just took me to long to figure it out because i was trying to work my way up methodically and i wasted to much time learning the board. with about 20 minutes left in 8M i had to swap CPU's and couldn't get a run off with the new chip. on Sunday i ran the same new chip and benched 8M at 5150 pretty easily. had i recognized i had a bad chip sooner, i would have been right up top battling for 8M.

needless to say, i got a bit of a late start on 06 because my plan hadn't worked out and i was prepping the GPU during the half hour break instead of testing GPU clocks. i did get running fairly shortly after 06 started and recognized i had a great CPU. most guys were only benching 06 at 4600MHz, i was running 4800MHz with my second CPU test run. after fighting my GPU for a bit, apparently it didn't like temps under -40~-50C, while some guys were benching all day at -90C. in the end i hammered off a last minute 06 that was good for 3rd overall...the only problem was that in all the confusion of getting it ran with next to no time left on the clock, i forgot to set GPU memory clocks so my HDR was horrible. i tried running HDR by itself after and was about 18 seconds short of getting first in HDR with that run. so, had i set the GPU memory clocks on my last 06 run, i likely would have gotten first overall in 06 and first in HDR, possibly just second overall. needless to say, my final standing would have had me on the podium with that alone.

it was my first competition like this and the experience was invaluable. not to mention the weekend being my highlight of the year. i can break the 32M world record tonight, and it won't compare the fun of meeting all the guys this weekend. we had a blast. Gigabyte treated us like celebrities and took care of us like you wouldn't believe. i would just like to give a big shout out to Miah for the win. he had a crazy day and made the crucial decision he had to in order to win. in the end, he only got a single 06 run out at speed and it was just enough to get him the overall win combined with his excellent 8M score. i sat beside him and Chris (gomeler) and we had a damn good time helping each other out, sharing prep supplies, and just overall routing for each other.

it was a shame Patrick couldn't make it, all the guys were disappointed as was Rita, and Angela. Taiwan is calling your name Mac.

as for the freestyle, it wasn't anything. we all got down there early with some of us having some pretty fun plans but no one told us we would only have the room for a couple hours. obviously not enough time to do anything. so i simply benched with my second CPU and found had i swapped for it sooner, i would have had a shot at winning the whole thing. 5150MHz 8M easily, and 4900MHz 06...but that's how it goes. the freestyle wasn't worth points, hardware, or anything of the like. but to defend the guys...yes we all had a pretty good time saturday night after the comp, we were all down in the room by 8am. so we may have partied hard, but we definitely showed up for work the next morning. a few of us also got a nasty flu.

i started getting a tickle in my throat sunday afternoon and by the time i was on the plane at 10pm i was in all out shakes with a cold sweat and a fever that would have killed the pope. not a fun 5 hour flight. the 2 hour drive from Pearson down to London at 6am was even worse. but after a good 8-9 hours of sleep i am feeling alright and getting back to work.

so thanks for all the support guys, i really appreciate it. i know i did Canada proud, but i could have done them a lot prouder. next year boys...next year. i would also like to officially say, we are looking for a second Canadian for next year. get your benching game in gear and you can be joining me for the competition
Old April 27, 2009, 04:35 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Congratulations on your first competition!

It's great to read this first-hand Jody. I'm very pleased to know that most importantly you had a blast, and learned how to be an even better competitor. You can play with the Big Boys, and beat them.

You have the knowledge, you were lacking experience. You still have the first, you learned the hard way about the second. They better be ready next year for you.

John
Old April 27, 2009, 05:40 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Congrats Jody! Great job and you will win it next year!
Fold for team #54196
Old April 27, 2009, 06:56 PM
Top Prospect

Man, Superpi is your game 3oh6. I bet if they had an efficiency portion, which in my opinion is far more skillful compared to clocks, you would have taken them out. I am surprised gauntum didn't place better.

I am also surprised I don't see kingpin at any of these events.
Old April 27, 2009, 08:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent summary 3oh6, I tried my best to stay abreast of the competition as best I could and thanks to the XS forums I managed to get somewhat of a blow by blow. I never realized just how much the teams pull together for one another and I think thats about the coolest thing about these competitions. I also never factored into the equation people getting bad or poor chips and all the little problems that seem to arise when the clock starts ticking. I see what you mean about valuable experience gained as you witnessed better results when you finially decided to change chips on sunday and it was a real peach. Like Kenny Rogers says "Know when to hold em, know when to fold em" sometimes only experience tells us when to stop beating a dead horse I guess. Still it sounds like you had an absolute blast and I think I can speak for everyone here that you represented yourself and Canada admirably. It was great seeing that one lone canadian flag amongst all those stars and stripes!