Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2009, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You must have Intel Speedstep "enabled"...as Real Temp shows 180 x 12.....you should be turning it off while your trying to find stable OC...then go ahead and enable it after your happy with your OC. That "idle Temp" is based on a 180 x 12 CPU speed.....doesn't really tell me anything...

Old May 5, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes ok your Load Temp showed up...looks good...all I can say is now that you know how to go about it..go for it...
Remember, that at each OC booting into windows succesfully is by no way considered stable. Personally I run P95 blend for 8 - 10 hrs and LinX Max Memory 25 passes.....if stable..move on.

Old May 5, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using a mixture of OCCT, P95, and a couple graphics programs I use regularly to test stability.
I haven't run a 24hr test or anything because I don't want to be without my computer that long,
but I may do it soon.

I think I'm going to shoot for 3.8GHz, and if I can't get there easily I'll be running it as it is now which is still pretty darn good.
Really makes me happy that I decided to get an i7.

Thanks again.
I really do appreciate the help.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

btw... I dropped DRAM back to 1.5V and it seems to be running fine so far.
If it goes well for tonight I'll probably run Memtest tomorrow to make sure.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Set up an OC...run P95 Blend....and go to bed...if its running in th AM..excellent...if it reboots in the night...more tweaking!

Old May 5, 2009, 11:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll be sure to check the batteries in the smoke alarm too

How much wear will all the testing cause on my system?
I have already done quite a bit, and I'd like the computer to be able
to do some actual work when I get it all set up the way I want it.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Whether it was my E8400 on my 780i Board or this I7 on this classified Board I have ran both through a gammet of "Stress Testing"...I usually wind up with a number of BSOD...its the nature of the beast, particularly when I'm trying to find the ultimate bare minimum Voltages.
BSOD's can cause corruption of certain applications...although I have been fortunate and not suffered any ill affects.
The "wear" caused by some Stress Testing is nothing to worry about....heck, look at these guys that have thier Rigs Folding 24/7......

As I stated, the most time consuming part of OC'ing is the Stress Testing...I used to go P95 24 Hrs, but I really don't think its necessary....8 hrs P95 Blend followed by LinX Max Memory (takes about 1 hr 15 min) is fine. As for stress testing my GPU OC's...I used to, now I'm too lazy..set it up and game...if artifacts, back it off.....but my GPU OC has been stable on these 280's now for a long time...every now and then when I go for a Vantage run I'll push the Clocks a little higher.

Don't fret...your I7 isn't an egg!

Old May 5, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Don't fret...your I7 isn't an egg!
I know I'm probably being a little paranoid.
Part of being new to the game, I suppose.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If its any consolation...look how much you've learned already!!! I still remember the days when I would get a BSOD on my PC and I could feel the adrenaline flowing through my body....a great big wtf?!...what do I do...whats wrong with my computer?
Now...I get a BSOD and I know I nee more vCore....or a little more vtt...or a little more vDimm.....

Fun isn't it.....

Old May 6, 2009, 01:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It is fun... I got that rush when I got the first BSOD.
I had done enough reading though, that I wasn't too freaked out.
I've only had to deal with 2 of those, and one strange BIOS reset that I still have no answer for.
Flashing BIOS had me a little worried, but my BIOS has a feature called quick-flash
that made it really easy...

I just finished a 1hr Prime95 blend run...
Temperature right outside my case was around 24c average... 26c max.
My girlfriend insisted on having the space heater on for a while, so that's probably why CPU went over 70c.

I'm not sure if I want to run it overnight just yet.
Once I decide whether I'm going to stay where I am or try to hit 3.8GHz I'll run a longer test.
Really, as long as it does what I need it to do without crashing I'll be happy.
I do want to know that it's stable though.