Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know it's possible to OC the ram, I just didn't know if I should try right away or not.
I'll give it a go @ 1444 and see what happens.
Would it do much harm to the ram?

How long would you expect a 3.6ghz overclock like this to last?
3 years or more at least? It might not be OC'd 24/7...

I may mess around and try to get 190 bclk stable, but probably won't worry too much about it right now.
I've got a lot more learning to do before I feel comfortable.

If anyone has any more suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey glad to hear you're now "getting in to it" and getting more comfortable with your BIOS....
Yes it is possible to OC your RAM and change the Timings, as in "tightening" (speeding up) or "loosening" (slowing down), but in all honesty, work on learning to OC your CPU 1st! Here's my general methodology for OC'ing:
1. Find the highest possible OC that falls within these parameters:
- must be 24/7 stable and "stressed" by 25 passes Linux Max Memory & 6 Hrs P95 Short FTT
- Temps must be reasonable, as in Load Temp below 70c
- must be achieved at or below Intel Max vCore recomendations - vCore 1.356v
- try to get the memory running at its Spec, as in 1600 Mhz RAM running at 1600 Mhz ....
Once I am happy with an OC and have stressed it, I'll continue to stress it while continually changing 1 or 2 settings in the BIOS with another goal of achieving lower vCore.

Hence my present OC:
202 Mhz Bclk x 19 Mult (Turbo Boost "off" - HT "on") = 3.83 Ghz CPU speed @ vCore 1.3125v
Memory Divider 2:8 = 202 Mhz x 8 = 1630 Mhz (slight Mem OC) 8-8-8-24 74 1T (Spec timings) @ Memory Voltage vDimm 1.63v (1.65v Max recomended & Spec for Corsair Doms)
Idle Temps 32-41c

Load Temps 55 - 64c

Now as soon as I try to reach 4 Ghz, through some trial and error (a few BSOD) I know I'm going to be looking at either vCore 1.35v (without VDroop) or as much as 1.425v (with VDroop) ((VDroop setting "with" or "without" are available in the BIOS. So at this point, due to the fact that the Voltage requirement is beyond the Intel Spec Voltage, I'm not at this point going to concentrate on 4 Ghz and will spend more time concentrating on achieving my present OC with slightly lower Voltages (time consuming because of all the lengthy stress tests).

Don't get me wrong, in fact as I own the Board n CPU longer the whole Intel Spec Voltage for the CPU usually goes out the window and I'll start pumping more n more Voltage to the CPU to achieve a stable higher Clock Speed. As for your question on how long the Chip will last.......
Thats the "million dollar question", but provided you don't go "crazy" with Voltages, as in well above Intel Spec (keeping below vCore 1.45v) - I'd say the Chip will likely be running strong well after it has either been sold or tossed into another Rig. I have an E8400 that has been OC'd to 4.05 Ghz vCore @ 1.45v for this past 14 months and it hasn't so much as "burped"......

Tip: As you play around in BIOS, read as much info on these Forums as you can...try and wrap your head around VDrop and VDroop (these will play an important role while looking for that "sweet VCore spot")
VDrop: The difference in vCore between what is set in BIOS and what is displayed in CPUZ while in Windows - will be less in CPUZ "With VDroop" setting in BIOS enabled and more in CPUZ fi "without VDroop" setting is enabled in BIOS)
VDroop: The difference between vCore set in BIOS and vCore displayed in CPUZ Windows while the CPU is under full load (as in P95) - will be less in CPUZ "With VDroop" setting in BIOS enabled and more in CPUZ if "without VDroop" setting is enabled in BIOS)

After initially bumping up Bclk speed, vCore and vtt - if you successfully Boot into Windows, run P95 Short FTT and see if you can get past about 15 min without BSOD or Freezing...if you can, either conduct "full stress testing" at the settings your presently at, OR assuming you applied a fair amount of Vcore, try lowering it a few notches and then stress test some more......it really is trial n error while narrowing the corrodore for stability!

Most importantly.....Have Fun..if you get "stuck" Post in here and we'll try and help you out. The worst that can happen is you BSOD and you fail to Post upon "restart", this can be easily solved by "resetting CMOS" and starting over again - "Resetting CMOS" simply resets all Stock Settings on your Mobo BIOS Memory Chip. Most importantly...if you want to "Flash" that Mobo BIOS Memory Chip to the newest version....DO NOT press or even come close to touching ANY of keyboard buttons until propmted to do so, that will surely corrupt your BIOS Memory Chip at which point you could be hooped (RMA the Board or install new Mobo BIOS Memory Chip).

Cheers

PS the long Post was to try pass some knowledge to yourself as I'm not quite sure what "level" that is yet :)

Last edited by rjbarker; May 1, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So far 180 bclk is running stable.
That gives me 3.78ghz with turbo on.
I left my memory multi at 6x for now.

Cpu-z shows vcore @ 1.328 idle, and 1.280 under full load.
Temps top at 65c.

I'm wondering if I need the extra voltage on the ram if I'm running it at almost default speed (I'm at like 1080). I have it set to 1.54 right now... default is 1.5 (auto).

I set QPI/VTT to 1.34 only because 1.36 was purple in BIOS.
Since all other settings I chose were still white I thought I'd go for 1.34.

Pci Ex is at 100 because BIOS says I shouldn't set it above that.
Does that extra 1 really make any difference?

I'd like to shoot for higher bclk, but I'm not sure I want to push it much further right now for any reason besides benchmarking. Could you help me get up to at least 190? I could just up it and add some more vcore, right? Would I have to increase anything else if I do that?

rj, I see that you are at +200 bclk with your multi at 19. I've seen others with similar settings. What is the signifigance of doing it that way instead of going for 190 bclk for 3.8ghz?
Old May 5, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
rj, I see that you are at +200 bclk with your multi at 19. I've seen others with similar settings. What is the signifigance of doing it that way instead of going for 190 bclk for 3.8ghz?
Memory Speed
202 Bclk with 2:8 Memory = 202 x 8 = 1612 Mhz (basically running my RAM slightly above spec) yet still maintaining a 3.83 Ghz OC

190 Bclk with 2:8 Memory = 190 x 8 = 1520 Mhz (below spec)..if thier is a way to achieve Max OC and Max RAM speed I'll try and find it.
190 Bclk with 2:10 Memory = 190 x 10 = 1900 Mhz with my 1600 RAM = Will not Boot.....now you can see why someone may want to purchase 2000 Mhz RAM :)

Next I'll try 205 Bclk x 19 = 3.9 Ghz
205 Bclk x 8 (2:8) = 1640 Mhz

Another good one is 200 Bclk x 20 = 4Ghz 2:8 = 1600 Mhz
However, i'll require close to 1.4v for this...at this point I'll keep my vCore at or below the Intel specs.

Last edited by rjbarker; May 5, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So could I try 200bclk x19 for 3.8ghz with memory multi of 6x for 1200mhz?
If I did that what would I have to do to my voltages?

Would it be wise to turn off turbo, or should it be ok?
Old May 5, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

1. Turbo will bump up your overall OC, as in 19X to 21X - so no, turn it off.
2. I have no idea what your system Specs are, as in Memory, mobo , BIOS version, PSU etc etc....

Always a good idea to list your Hardware in a Signature....I don't do this to "show-off" my Hardware, but when looking for assistance folks are able to see what my config is and assist in troubleshooting and helping me with OC'ing...
I think I provided you a Template previously in this Thread, the Template along with your Hardware will help folks help you..otherwise, its like asking someone how you should set-up your fuel injection system on your vehicle, without describing your vehicle.

Old May 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Here;s what a "Template" looks like:
Mother Board ( EVGA X58 Classified )
Drivers (Current )
Bios ( S21E )
CPU ( 920 )
CPU Cooler ( TRUE Push / Pull )
Memory ( Corsair Dominator 6 GB 1600 Mhz 8-8-8-24 1T )
PSU ( Corsair HX1000 )
GPU ( GTX 280 SSC X 2 SLI )
Drivers ( 181.22 )
Operating System ( Vista Home Premium 64 Bit)
Frequency Control
CPU Clock Ratio ( 19X )
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 202 )
MCH Strap ( 1600 )
CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) ( 3626 Mhz { 16X } )
CPU Clock Skew ( 0 ps )
Spread Spectrum ( Disabled )
PCIE Frequency (Mhz) ( 100 )

Memory Feature
Memory Speed ( XMP Profile 1 )
Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( 1600Mhz / 2:8 )
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Memory Low Gap ( Auto )
tCL Setting ( 8 )
tRCD Setting ( 8 )
tRP Setting ( 8 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( 74 )
Command Rate ( 1T )

Voltage Control
EVGA VDroop Control ( With VDroop )
CPU VCore ( 1.3125 )
CPU VTT Voltage ( +125 )
CPU PLL VCore ( Auto )
IOH PLL VCore ( Auto )
DIMM Voltage ( 1.63 )
QPI PLL VCore ( Auto )
IOH VCore ( Auto )
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( Auto )
BR04 ( NF200) Voltage ( Auto)
VTT PWM Frequency ( 250 KHZ )
CPU PWM Frequency ( 800 KHZ )
CPU Impedance ( Auto )
QPI Signal Compensation ( Auto )
ICH VCore ( Auto )

CPU Feature
Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )
Turbo Mode Function ( Disabled )
CxE Function ( Disabled )
Execute Disable Bit ( Disabled )
Virtualization Technology ( Disabled )
Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )
Active Processor Cores ( All )
QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )
QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )
QPI Frequency Selection ( 4.80 GT/s )
OC Recorvery ( Enabled )

Old May 5, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I did post my CPU, mobo, and RAM types in my first post...

CPU: i7 920
Motherboard: Gigabyte ex58-ud3r (BIOS flashed to f5)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1333C9 3X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24

I'll post back in a little bit with my setup and settings, and maybe I'll add my system specs to my sig. I'm a little embarassed by my temporary vid card though.
Can I lie and say I have a GTX275 or 280 or something like I want to get?...
Old May 5, 2009, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Anybody has a problem with Gigabyte X58 that after restart systems fails to load OC'ed BIOS settings (back to stock)? ... But if you press DEL and go trough BIOS screen first it will load and run stable under Prime95 for days, no problem. Kind of wierd...
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old May 5, 2009, 01:30 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

All my GBs did this, when I had an unstable oc. It would back down to stock speed. Check the blck, you may be back bone stock.