Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My CPU is batch #3836B223
Old May 16, 2009, 05:41 PM
Rookie

Hmmmm, it would seem that our batch numbers are pretty close together so we should have similar experiences at OC'ing. Of course all motherboards and chips are different to some degree, even when they're the same part number.

Are you running the 920 chip?
Old May 16, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, it's a 920.

I don't know how much help I can offer, but I'm sure someone here can help you out.
I'm glad you've found this thread useful/helpful though.

I'm pretty settled at 3.8GHz for everyday use.
The performance gains above that are minimal and not worth the extra voltage/heat.
I'm trying to see if I can get a little higher and still be within or close to spec voltages, but we'll see.
I'm not sure if I'll stay with 200bclk x 19, or 181bclk x 21...
200x19 gets my RAM running closer to spec, but my QPI link is getting a little high (7.2GT/s).
Most people tell me that's safe, but it looks high to me considering stock is like 4.8GT/s.
I don't know...
Old May 17, 2009, 12:20 PM
Rookie

Sounds great! For whatever reason, 201 x 19 is working for me. I couldn't boot into windows at 3.2ghz but using a few of your settings for the IOH, PLL and Vtt allowed me to run P95 for almost an hour and a half at 3.82ghz! Go figure. My temps are 67*c under load and 34*c idle. I think I found my 24/7 combination

I believe that I could get a little higher but the heat would no doubt catch up to me and I wouldn't be comfortable running much higher. My Vcore is already at 1.39420v (bios) and I found that it's more stable with the LLC enabled, so I don't want to run too much more Core voltage.

Many thanks again for the awesome thread. Keep us posted if you try any other combinations and I will do the same.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I only had to set Vcore to 1.34375V in BIOS for 3.8GHz with LLC enabled.
Could be a difference in chips, but your Vcore seems pretty high.

I've been able to drop Vcore to 1.33750V in BIOS and it can pass a few hours Prime95.
I haven't let it run any longer than that, so I don't really know how stable it is.

Last edited by somecanadianguy; May 17, 2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 04:42 PM
Rookie

I had the Vcore set a few notches lower but my computer froze right after I logged in. It was just idling. I bumped the Vcore (to where it is now) and P95 ran almost an hour and a half. I am going to play with it some more and try to reduce it. I left the PCIE, IOH and ICH voltages on AUTO. Does anyone know how these affect an overclock? I believe that my memory is stable as I'm running it slightly overclocked at 1608mhz.

I'd like mine to be lower but I think it's just my bad luck to get a chip that needs a lot of voltage to OC. I'll run it this way and see what happens and wait for the D0 chips to be available at Microcenter
Old May 17, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm still not exactly sure how those other voltages affect an OC.
I settled on setting them manually instead of leaving them on auto.
What I eventually did was open Easytune and check what auto was setting them at.
Then I went into BIOS and set them... lowered DRAM... tested and have been good since.
From there I've dropped a few of the settings a bit, but I am not sure how stable it really is.
Old May 17, 2009, 07:08 PM
Rookie

I loaded Easy Tune but I don't see the voltages in the tuner portion. I had a hard time getting it running for some reason. I was only able to run it (finally) when I loaded it as administrator. I see everything except the (bios) voltages. I wish I could use that as a tool to check the voltages out. Maybe I could do a reinstall. I like, and use, the voltages in the hardware section. I check the Vcore droop there when I stress test.

I believe that I might be able to eventually lower my voltages. I don't have heat-related issues to worry about just yet. I think I can play with the OC as I have a little more (thermal) breathing room. That Vcore will stop me sooner than anything else.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I haven't let it run any longer than that, so I don't really know how stable it is.
Try LinX 0.5.8 Max (all available Memory) for 20 passes....that will separate the man from the mouse....hahahahaha..stable vs unstable...!

Old May 18, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood406 View Post
I loaded Easy Tune but I don't see the voltages in the tuner portion. I had a hard time getting it running for some reason. I was only able to run it (finally) when I loaded it as administrator. I see everything except the (bios) voltages. I wish I could use that as a tool to check the voltages out. Maybe I could do a reinstall. I like, and use, the voltages in the hardware section. I check the Vcore droop there when I stress test.

I believe that I might be able to eventually lower my voltages. I don't have heat-related issues to worry about just yet. I think I can play with the OC as I have a little more (thermal) breathing room. That Vcore will stop me sooner than anything else.
Open it up and click the Tuner tab, then Advanced...
That's where I'm checking my voltages.
If yours aren't showing I'm not sure what the problem could be.
Do you have the latest version?

rj... I have been wondering about LinX.
Some people say not to use it so I've been hesitant.
I may give it a try, but really my setup seems pretty stable to me.
Maybe I'm a mouse, but if it does what I need it to then it's fine by me.