Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2009, 03:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep...35 min into P95...going to bed...I'll let it run...hopefully not wake up to a reboot...but we'll see! You know something...thier is absolutely nothing about a 2.8 Ghz OC'd to 4 Ghz that is "routine"...that in itself is an incredible OC....don't kid yourself!!

Old May 8, 2009, 04:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sleep...?!?

Prime95 just passed 1hr @ 3.8GHz
(check settings in my previous post)

**UPDATE**
After 1hr Prime95 Small FTT I switched to Blend and ran for 40 minutes until I
tried to come in here and post. Then I got BSOD. I seem to get that issue with
the blend test if I try to use other programs at the same time. I can do stuff during the Small FTT test though.
Any idea what my problem is?

**UPDATE #2**
I was able to get 3.9GHz to handle Prime95 Small FTT test for 1hr...
Did a bunch of test renders with Yafaray and Blender with no issues...
Then I switched to Prime95 Blend and BSOD'd after 30mins.
Here are the settings I used... maybe someone could give me some advice?
I hope you had more success than me, rj.

186bclk x 21 (turbo on) = 3.906GHz
System Memory Multi x6
Uncore Frequency x13
QPI Link Speed x36

CPU Vcore 1.37500V in BIOS (cpuz shows 1.360 idle... 1.328 under load)
QPI/Vtt 1.360V
DRAM 1.560V
everything else 'auto'

My limited knowledge is telling me it may be an issue with something other than Vcore.
I say that because Prime95 Small Ftt says it doesn't test much RAM, but Blend does.
Does that make any sense, or am I way off?

Anyway, I think I should concentrate on figuring out stable settings for 3.8GHz for now.
It's fun to push it, but I really still don't know very much.
If I can get 3.8 to run Prime95 Blend for at least 6hrs I'll try to get 3.9 stable for 24/7 use.
I will definately play around some more though, just to see what I can and can't do.

Last edited by somecanadianguy; May 8, 2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can't get 3.9 stable with voltages @ or under intel spec so far.
I can pass 1hr Prime95 Ftt... but not Blend.
Not sure what to do about that right now, but I'll mess around some more (I hope... read on...)

For some reason I wanted to be stupid and push as far as possible...
I followed the Gigabyte guide again, and left turbo on for 200bclk x 20.
The guide states that the rig they used was stable at that, but mine sure isn't.
I was able to get into Windows... 4.20GHz... Vcore in cpuz @ 1.456 idle (I forget BIOS setting but I have it saved).
It can't handle load for more than a few seconds though before BSOD.
I messed around with voltages a bit trying not to go over what I've read to be max others are using for this speed.
After hitting 1.55V in BIOS I got a wierd humming when I tried to boot into Windows.
System hung and hummed for a few seconds before I hit the restart button.
Scared me more than I want to be scared just yet.
I'm worried I hurt my machine... I loaded BIOS defaults and still got the hum at Windows loading...
System hung again for a few seconds but I let it go and it booted fine.
I don't hear the hum now, but I'm going to reboot and have a listen.

That's what I get for being too eager... I just hope I didn't really damage anything.
I'm going to reboot again and hope for the best.
No more +4GHz messing for me right now, that's for sure.
Was cool to see 4.2GHz, but it's out of my reach right now.

Last edited by somecanadianguy; May 8, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I awoke this AM to my Rig idling along in Windows....so at some point it BSOD'd in the night ....back to my stable 3.83 Ghz... :)

Old May 8, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry to hear that, rj.

I'm looking at around 3.8 stable too @ Intel spec voltage.
I may go with 3.780 sinch it requires a tiny bit less voltage and no real performance decrease.

Oh... the scary hum did not come back when I rebooted...
I ran Prime95 blend for 1hr, and a few other tests at stock BIOS settings because I really was scared that I had damaged something. Everything seems fine though so I feel a little better. I don't know exactly what caused it. I've seen lots of people out there saying that even though Intel gives a safe max voltage it can be pushed well beyond that "limit" without killing your CPU. I can't seem to find very many instances of a dead i7 anywhere so maybe it's not just bull... I don't know. I do know that when I tried Vcore @ 1.55V (in BIOS) my computer made a noise that I don't want to hear it make ever again until I'm trying to hurt it! Perhaps the issue was not my Vcore setting though... so I'm just not sure what to do. Seeing as how I could get into Windows with less voltage @ 4.2GHz I'm thinking I don't even need 1.55V. Maybe I'll get it figured out... maybe I won't... maybe I just can't...

Is there someone out there with a Gigabyte board who could read through the thread and see if maybe you can't help me push this thing. I don't want to kill it... but you all know how it is... I'm hooked!!! I see it hit 4.2GHz and would give many thanks to the gods of computing if I could get stable at that speed...

Last edited by somecanadianguy; May 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As I said my E8400 has been runnning at 4.05 Ghz @ 1.45v for well over a year now...no harm at all that I've noticed. The hum sounds odd....I have had some bad crashes OC'ing but never a "hum"....
I wouldn't go above vCore 1.45v...personally...remember, the whole idea is to find a 24/7 stable OC....I don't think you would want to run your Rig 24/7 with vCore @ 1.55v.....

I'm now back to 202 Bclk x 19 3.83 Ghz...RAM at 1612 Mhz
vCore 1.3125v
vDimm 1.63v
vtt +125mv (1.325v)

I'm pretty sure I could get that 3.9 Ghz stable with RAM at 1640 Mhz....last attempt was vCore 1.35v vtt +175mv.....would likely try 1.356v (Intel spec) and vtt +200mv......but really...is it worth 150 Vantage Marks?....not really.

Old May 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I don't think you would want to run your Rig 24/7 with vCore @ 1.55v.....
Definately not 24/7... that's not my intention.
I'm with you on the trying for fastest speed at or around Intel spec for 24/7 use.
However... benchmarking is quite another matter...
You know that it's about getting the fastest speed without killing/hurting anything...
very few people are running Intel spec volts while benching...
and very few people are running their crazy benchmark settings 24/7.
There are those who do, but they likely don't care much about having their hardware for very long.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Most definitely.....its very easy to get wrapped up in the whole Benchmark thing.....particularly as your Scores get better n better...next thing you know..more Hardware (multi GPU's)...higher OC's...thier really is no end...the first few days I had this new Board I think I spent more time in the BIOS then in Windows :)

Old May 8, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
the first few days I had this new Board I think I spent more time in the BIOS then in Windows :)

That's how the last few days have been for me.
Took me around a month of owning this thing for me to get brave enough.
My girlfriend is getting annoyed because I told her I'd get some actual work done this week...
maybe next week
Old May 8, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
My girlfriend is getting annoyed because I told her I'd get some actual work done this week...
Wlecome to the club..hahahahah...has she asked you yet if your "chatting" with girls on the Internet?.........too funny eh...