Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2009, 06:48 AM
MVP

Default why do people care so much about 3d mark score?

why do people care so much about 3d mark score? or similar bench program score?

seriously if i upgraded to a new graphic..... my first thing to do is run the games like i have played on my previous card and see how much frame rate it increase and not look at some plain ol numbers in 3dmark score.

some people just obsess with 3dmark score. i dont even care if my score is 20k! 40k! 50k! i only care in real time benching.

i had x850xt. i play dark messiah max setting got 24fps on average. now upgraded to 8800 gts g92... and guess what i do the first thing i installed the new card? run dark messiah ofcourse! now i got 50-60+ fps.... see? thats what i care. realtime stuff. not some plain ol score numbers.

also i use game's in-house bench if its avalible. like FF11 bench, cryostasis tech bench, fear 1 bench ect... real stuff. not some fake plain ol score numbers.
Old April 11, 2009, 07:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Because it gives a general idea of how well your system is going to perform overall. Since it also shows breakdowns for certain types of tests you can more easily assess where any bottlenecks are.

Also: e-peen
Old April 11, 2009, 09:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's a standard which most folks can easily get their hands on.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 11, 2009, 09:43 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Just a hobby that allows people to compare one computer/aspects of a system to another easily. I haven't used that benchmark in years either, but it turns some people's crank and I can see why it would.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 11, 2009, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It offers the ability to compare your system to others of a like nature. This can either verify that your components are up to snuff, or as Chuckle posted, show you where your bottlenecks are.

I did this on my new build and found that there were only 3 rigs that beat my score, which was a clear indication that I hadn't $#@%$^ the pooch on my new build.

Old April 11, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Aside giving a general idea of how your system performs, it's widespread enough that you can quickly determine that everything is working properly, and by the time you factor in the overclocking and tweaking, benchmarking is a sport onto itself. You may as well ask why people spend mind-numbing hours on some games, simply to get 'Achievements', or why people race cars on tracks that bear little resemblance to city streets. Ultimately, like many things, there are people who simply find it fun.
Old April 11, 2009, 11:01 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

it's a benchmark that gives you a score, allows you to save that score online and allows you to compare it to other systems like yours. Cool beans.

And unlike synthetic benchmarks like Sandra memory bandwidth or hd tune sequential read, 3Dmark is actually running a game engine, testing all aspects of your system.
Old April 11, 2009, 11:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Aside giving a general idea of how your system performs, it's widespread enough that you can quickly determine that everything is working properly, and by the time you factor in the overclocking and tweaking, benchmarking is a sport onto itself. You may as well ask why people spend mind-numbing hours on some games, simply to get 'Achievements', or why people race cars on tracks that bear little resemblance to city streets. Ultimately, like many things, there are people who simply find it fun.
QFT! Benching is a sport to me. My dad asks why I bother spending hundreds of dollars and computer parts and why I would ever need to cool it with dry ice. I tell him its a sport to me. The same question could be asked about any hobby that isn't directly connected to something useful (like MpG's racing example).
Old April 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Easiest way to determine if you've "pooched" something in your build or if thier are any software / hardware "faults".....its NOT about being obsessed as you stated, really, most of us are beyond that......although some of us are "obsessed with having a "rapid" Rig :)

Quote:
seriously if i upgraded to a new graphic..... my first thing to do is run the games like i have played on my previous card and see how much frame rate it increase and not look at some plain ol numbers in 3dmark score.

some people just obsess with 3dmark score. i dont even care if my score is 20k! 40k! 50k! i only care in real time benching.
Huh...obviously you are not up to speed as to what many of us are trying to accomplish with our Rigs and share on this Forum.

Old April 11, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

let me pose some questions...why do you play games? why does a silly little video game mean so much to you? why would you spend money to upgrade your system just to play a game?

the answer is the same reason why i enjoy benching 3DMark, SPi, etc. video games are a waste of time in my opinion but i don't look down on those that play them. i run computers to bench, you run computers to play, the result is the same...enjoyment/frustration/further enjoyment. sometimes life isn't about everyone doing things you understand, but is about you understanding what everyone is doing.