Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Weird OCCT

So my rig in sig has been stable at that spec ever since I got it. I tested it with OCCT before and it was stable for 2.5 hours. Today, I'm thinking of pushing it to 4Ghz since it only tops out at 50C, but first I decided to run OCCT again. To my surprise, OCCT said core 0 failed within the first 2 minutes of running OCCT. So I went to the BIOS, upped my vdimm by 0.1V to a total of 2.2V, and OCCT ran fine for another 10 min.

So you might think that this is fine and I was unstable because I didn't have enough vdimm. But get this, when I was overclocking my E7200 6 months ago, I was in a similar situation as well where sometimes OCCT could run for 2 hours and be fine. Then if I was to run OCCT again, it'd error out within 10 minutes. Keep in mind I didn't change ANY of the BIOS settings. What the heck is going on? So is my rig stable or not?

Btw, I passed 2 hours worth of Memtest test #5 when it had only 2.1Vdimm instead of the current 2.2Vdimm.
Old April 4, 2009, 04:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Temps maybe?

OCCT defaults to shut down at a certain temperature.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 4, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My temps don't go over 55C according to OCCT. I had RealTemp and CoreTemp as well, and it was always below 55C.

Just for comparison, when running Folding@Home SMP client, my CPU temps are at 48C for Core 0 and 41C for core 1, give or take a couple degrees.
Old April 4, 2009, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds like your oc may not be as stable as you think. Do you use prime 95 at all? If you do, fire it up using fft blend before you go to bed tonight. If your oc isn't stable, chances are your test will stop sometime within 8 hours.
I don't consider my oc to be stable until it will run for at least 8 hours of small fft's followed by at least 8 hours of blend. I consider this stable enough for me. I've seen some of my oc attempts fail anywhere from a few minutes to 6 hours using this method.

From what I've read and learned here, I can't consider a 2.5 hour stress test to be indicative of a rock stable oc.

Just a suggestion.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old April 4, 2009, 06:55 PM
MVP

Run occt newest 30.1 with Linpak and the custom 1 hour test with max test selected
Remember to check your temp in options and set it to your cpu max
let it run by itself for the hour.

Runs thru that? its not to far off

If it doesn't? then its unstablefor sure

Then 20 hours of orthos on overnight and going from site to site only one window open at a time with it on(minimized)in right hand tray
if it passess that I'd say you are there pretty much.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Last edited by tyreman; April 5, 2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
It sounds like your oc may not be as stable as you think. Do you use prime 95 at all? If you do, fire it up using fft blend before you go to bed tonight. If your oc isn't stable, chances are your test will stop sometime within 8 hours.
I don't consider my oc to be stable until it will run for at least 8 hours of small fft's followed by at least 8 hours of blend. I consider this stable enough for me. I've seen some of my oc attempts fail anywhere from a few minutes to 6 hours using this method.

From what I've read and learned here, I can't consider a 2.5 hour stress test to be indicative of a rock stable oc.

Just a suggestion.
Agreed your OC is/was not stable....
P95 Small FTT - 4hrs
P95 Blend - 8rs
Memtest86 - 2 passes
Linpack or IBT 20 passes

You get through the above....you're stable! Notice OCCT is not mentioned?....I don't rely on it at all to ensure stability.

Old April 4, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I went from Prime95 to OCCT because it was actually harder to get my systems to be stable. Hence, why I use only OCCT. I coulda been 8 hours Prime95 stable before when I was reaching 3.73Ghz, but as soon as I ran OCCT, I'd error out within an hour or so.

I refuse to use Linpack (IBT) again. Why? Simple. It made my temps skyrocket but would error out even when I was running stock. Besides, the most intensive stuff I'd run is F@H. Linpack just puts way too much load on my system, to the point where my computer would explode and die a horrible death. Ok it won't lol.

To me, my stable used to be:

12 hours of Prime 95 or Orthos
2 hours of Memtest test #5

Now its:

2.5 hours of OCCT
2 hours of Memtest test #5
Maybe I'll throw in overnight of Prime...

Would it be fine if I run GPU folding while doing this? I don't want to lose over a day's worth of folding. Keep in my NVIDIA F@H client barely uses and CPU resources now.
Old April 4, 2009, 10:46 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I went from Prime95 to OCCT because it was actually harder to get my systems to be stable. Hence, why I use only OCCT. I coulda been 8 hours Prime95 stable before when I was reaching 3.73Ghz, but as soon as I ran OCCT, I'd error out within an hour or so.
Have to agree, prime95 has been 8 hours stable, yet OCCT will fail in 2-3 hours. I never thought to question the program, because all it takes is more voltage or less clock to make it pass. I'm not sure why people hate on it, actually I've only noticed it on this forum.

Stability testing programs are just tools in your overclocking toolbox. It's silly to hate on Robertson just because you rather phillips, the reality is you'll be better off with both.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old April 4, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinister View Post
Have to agree, prime95 has been 8 hours stable, yet OCCT will fail in 2-3 hours. I never thought to question the program, because all it takes is more voltage or less clock to make it pass. I'm not sure why people hate on it, actually I've only noticed it on this forum.

Stability testing programs are just tools in your overclocking toolbox. It's silly to hate on Robertson just because you rather phillips, the reality is you'll be better off with both.
From a lot of reading lately.. OCCT isn't exactly the greatest program anymore. I mean I'm even hearing people having it have trouble trying to properly test a GPU!
Old April 4, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm not sure what to think about OCCT personally. I like it for early testing, as I find it tends to catch obvious errors quickly, and about 2-3 hours is about a 90% assurance of stability, and it's great for quick FSB testing. But there's been some tweaks to version 3.0, and I occasionally notice that it no longer as consistent about catching errors. Not sure what to think about that, tbh. And the GPU testing can be a little flakey, I'm finding. Good for temp testing, although it's just using the Furmark stress tool that's available elsewhere. For P95, I generally don't consider any run less than 12hrs to be all that useful - it can easily (and regularly) go that long without catching errors. Just the way it's always been, unfortunately.

Like Vinister said, there is no one catch-all tool. Learn what each tool can do (and can't do), and mix them up for better assurance.