Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up Cooling innovation ic7 tim tests

What does everyone think of using the same temperature monitoring software for the trials. Wouldn't it give more consistant data for submission?

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old March 16, 2009, 02:58 PM
Banned
F@H

I think the impoertant part is the temperature difference of "before/after". I mean really, should we all be using the same board, cpu, etc? I think no...the whole point of IC doing this on forums is so that they can get results from TONNES of different configs, whitout having to go and buy them directly...saves them thousands, if not 100's of thousands, even giving it away free.

The mojority of temp software reads DTS info directly from the cpu, and the offset that each gives to those numbers. As long as Everest, CoreTemp, or RealTemp are used, i see no issues whatsoever. Personally, I have all three on my machine, but prefer everest.
Old March 16, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I never thought of that. I guess that's why I'm still a novice oc'er, lol!

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old March 16, 2009, 03:36 PM
Banned
F@H

Actually, it's a very valid question...as using mobo software temps, or jsut plain bios cpu temps, while accurate in some context, may not show the true benefits due to coarser granularity. And looking at my post, I was obviously to busy thinking about your question to even use proper grammar!

Then, there cpus like mine...DTS reports a minimum 36c temp...with my current cooler, load on stock settings is a mere 38c...almost impossible! So how do I compare idle temps? As teh normal cpu temp sensor DOES read below 36c, it's the only way to measure idle temps...
Old March 16, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Or theres the problems im having, both core temp, speed fan, and everest seem to read my CPU as 100 TJmax, but from what ive been able to figure the TJmax is supose to be either 105 or 95.. Real temp 3.0 reads both cores 5c lower then all of these programs so settings 1 program for the test would make as much as 5c difference in my readings.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 16, 2009, 03:49 PM
Banned
F@H

Yes, but the differences between those softwares are OFFSETS, not the actual readings. You can raise/lower the TJmax in RealTemp/CoreTemp, etc, so that all software gives the same temps...

What is important is the delta(difference) between reported temps, not the actual temps, IMHO. says I get 60c loaded from the DTS when overclocked using regular silicone TIM...and IC7 gives me 55c, using the same software...obviously IC7 is better, no? And by 5c...that's all that matters, in regards to temps.

It's most important that you measure temps using the same software for each "test", and say what software you used, other than that...