Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default My I7 = Where I'm At

Folks...seems my "Boot Issue" I had with SZ1G is no longer thier now that I have flashed to SZ21....Liduc and Shansmi (Evga Site) I'm sure remember this problematic "Boot Issue" with having to power down my PSU prior to Booting Up.
Anyhow, nice to be able to get back to some "OC'ing"..this is where I'm at..taking it slow to ensure that the "Boot Issue" doesn't re-occur, so far so good:
Drivers ( Latest )
Bios ( SZ21 )
CPU ( 920 batch 3838A430)
CPU Cooler (TRUE 120 )
Memory ( Dominator 3X2GB 1600 Mhz )
PSU ( Corsair HX 1kW )
GPU ( GTX 280 SSC x2 SLI 702 / 1458 / 2500 )
Drivers ( 181.22 )
CPU Clock Ratio ( 20X (21X Turbo On) )
CPU Host Frequency ( 175 Mhz )
CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) ( x16 ) (QPI Link 3143 Mhz in E-Leet)
Spread Spectrum ( Disabled )
PCIE Frequency (Mhz) ( 100 )

Memory Feature
Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( 2:8 )
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Parameters
tCL Setting ( 8)
tRCD Setting ( 8 )
tRP Setting ( 8 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( 74 )
Command Rate ( 1T )
Voltage Control
EVGA VDroop Control ( Without VDroop )
CPU VCore ( 1.225v BIOS ) - shows 1.27v Under Full Prime 95 Load
CPU VTT Voltage ( +175 ) - shows 1.32v Under Full Prime 95 Load
CPU PLL VCore ( Auto ) 1.8v
DIMM Voltage (1.6v BIOS ) - show 1.62v Under load in E-Leet
DIMM DQ Vref ( +0 )
QPI PLL VCore ( Auto ) 1.1v
IOH VCore ( Auto ) 1.1v
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( 1.5v )
ICH VCore ( Auto ) 1.05v
PWM Frequency ( 800 )

CPU Feature
Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )
Turbo Mode Function ( Enabled )
CxE Function ( Disabled )
Execute Disable Bit ( disabled )
Virtualization Technology ( disabled )
Logical Processor Setting
Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )
Active Processor Cores ( All )
QPI Settings
QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )
QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )
QPI Frequency Selection ( 4.8 GT/s )

LinX 20 Passes - Good
Prime95 Blend - 6Hrs Good

Idle Temps:
Cores: 29C - 31C VReg: 45C
Load Temps:
Cores: 62C - 66C VReg: 58C (20 Passes of LinX 64 Bit utilizing Max Memory 1H 20 min)

Previous Post from last month with BIOS SZ1G - no longer occurs since Flashing to SZ21

When Boot Error occurs:
1. Push Power button on Rig, HD light briefly flickers then it displays nothing, niether does the Power LED on the front of the Rig - at this point without these lights on I know it will not Post.
2. Fans running, including CPU Fan, power to Optical Drives
3. Green, Blue and Yellow LED lights on Board are on
4. Green lights indicate power on both 280's
5. Unfortunately cannot see Boot Code as one 280 in lower Slot.

To correct:
1. May take up to 3 pushes of the Reset button and this so far has brought up a normal Post
2. If I switch off power to the Board at the PSU, then switch it back on, it will Post normally when pushing the power button (only a few tests of this).
One normal Boot and in Windows..all 3 Stress Tests wil result in passes.

Seems if I shut-down and immediately start-up, it will Post fine.....something going on within the Board when it sits in the Shut-dwon state for a period of time, that powering off the Mobo prior to starting up the Rig corrects this????..stumped.

I'm to the point now whereby I'm thinking of pulling the 2 x 280's, double-check all connections.....now if this was a case of a short or loose plug it wouldn't really explain the ability of the Board to Boot-up fine when powering off the PSU is thrown into the mix...

Ultimately, I'd liked to know if I have a "pooched" Board...

Anyhow, please let me know how those settings look,,,room for improvement etc..you guys figure a BCLK bump to 185 - 190 will; require a further bump in vCore or should I just "give it a try" ?

Old March 9, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nice temps
Old March 9, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ultimately, you`re going to be temperature limited, and you`re probably right at the threshhold of overwhelming that heatsink. You want to avoid adding any unnecessary voltage, and it`s not impossible that you might be able to eek out a little more speed at your present voltage. I`d try a little more Bclk first, say 4-5 more, and see if it maintains stability.
Old March 9, 2009, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Ultimately, you`re going to be temperature limited, and you`re probably right at the threshhold of overwhelming that heatsink.
You figure....?.......yesterday I was Benching with all the same settings but my vCore was set to 1.275v....topped out at 72c....anyhow, bear in mind, those Load Temps are with LinX All available Memory and at Cycle 19 - 20 of 20 (1 hr 20 min)...heavy stress. I was actually hoping for a little Cooler, but relatively happy with it so far.

Old March 9, 2009, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

'Overwhelm' is admittedly subjective, based on what each person considers acceptable temps, but I'm finding that my own temps seem to start rising faster at around the 3.8-4.0 mark, and that's purely from clock speed, not voltage. Just the way these chips behave, I suppose. I think everyone is hoping for cooler temps than whatever they get.
Old March 9, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

We can only "hope" for cooler....anyhow..all settings above the same except bumped BCLK to 182 , all seems good so far...now running 3.81 Ghz and thats plenty for me for now. Idle Temps are 31 - 35C. I'm simply impressed that these Stock 2.66 Chips can OC that well. If anything I'll see if I can get any lower than 1.225v in BIOS....see where I can go till I start to "crash".

BTW...that Foxconn Board is over-the-top...nice!

Old March 9, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well had a BSOD running P95...so upped the vCore a couple of nothces and upped the VTT from 175mv to 200mv...hopefully that will solve it and I'll be done...

Old March 9, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

damn thought you had it
Old March 9, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
damn thought you had it
Yeah....went through all of this on my old E8400....back at it with this I7....it was all good at 3.66 Ghz, but just want to get her Stable at 3.8Ghz...tried to up the Bclk without upping anything else...oh well...the BSOD's came within the first hour of P95...I'm into hour 3 of P95 now since adjusting..all is well so far.

Old March 9, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Rough luck. Do you have any sort of CPU clock skew options on your board? It's not common, but if you have it, you might give it a shot. Sometimes a few tenths of a GHz can make enough difference to keep things stable, without necessarily adding more voltage.