Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I used the TIM when it was cold, I didnt heat it up first and I will say it wasnt very friendly to work with. also AKG is right with the 2-3 line application technique, it was the only one that got me a decently even coat with my HDT. I found though that with the Crossbow mounting bracket bottomed out I got a great distrobution pattern on the CPU and heatsink without having it make a mess.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 26, 2009, 05:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Preliminary Test Results

User/Original compound/Result

MX-2
slntdth93/MX-2/-6
lpfan4ever/MX-2/-1
Asharp/MX-2/-2
Jshupka/MX-2/-4
phil3_66666/MX-2/-3
Inik/MX-2/-1.5

AS5

cyberspyder/AS5/-7
kev.nam/AS5/-1
matsta31/AS5/-2

Misc. Compounds

Realityshift/Antec Formula 5/-2
Jonwall /stock paste/-2
Results so far. If you find an error or would like to update your results PM me and it will be added to the next update

Also note I forgot to add AS5 Averge Reduction -3.33C to Chart
Old March 26, 2009, 05:45 PM
Top Prospect

I also have a similar giveaway in process with test results at MaximumPC

For those that have an interest
Old March 26, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hmm, I don't have the TIM yet...BUT it sounds like a "Shin Etsu Dip" may help the viscosity problems. For anyone who has not worked with ShinE...stuffs like spreading tar...or dog turds. Take a ziplock bag stick the tube in it. Seal it, stick that bag in ANOTHER bag and submerge the applicator end of the tim in warm water for a couple minutes...instant grease like viscosity. Anyone willing to try it and see if that helps (i.e. be a guniea pig for Gits and SHiggles ;) )?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 26, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah I kinda wish I had done that when I started AkG i could see how it would help application alot, the thing I found that was most annoying with this stuff is it almost seems to break down when your try and spread it. Parts of it stick and the rest just pulls up and cracks as you spread it. Made filling grooves in the HDT pretty hard, warming it up would probubly elivate this.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 27, 2009, 04:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Tests done on open bench without any fan except for the TRUE 120w/ gelid fan at 749RPM

40 minutes Idle and 4 hour BOINC used for results.

MX-2 IDLE/LOADS

IDLE

LOAD

IC7 IDLE/LOADS

IDLE

LOAD

Umm yea temps has gone up 1-2 C . With MX-2 Grease the TRUE heat sink was Cool to touch, but with IC7 the heat sink is warm . I guess its a good thing it conducts heat, but dont understand why temps are higher.

CPU fan is this one here

Gonna try it one more with max fan setting

Last edited by Silvgearx; March 28, 2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AC MX-2 vs ICD7 tests 2009.03.25 to 2009.03.27

Hardware
CPU: Phenom X4 9950BE @ 3.0Ghz on Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H
HSF: Xigmatech HDT-S1283
Amb temps: Thermoworks Mini Handheld Thermocouple (Part#: MTC) (SKU: 34247)

Results
CPU HSF directed down MX-2
Mount A1
ambt: 19.6C
idle: 33C
load: 55C

CPU HSF directed up MX-2
Mount A2
ambt: 19.3c
idle: 30C
load: 49-50C

CPU HSF directed up ICD7
Mount B1
Load start: 22:00
ambt: 18.5C

Later: (11 hours from start)
ambt: 18.6C
idle: <not checked>
load: 48-49-50C

Even More Later: (15 hours from start)
ambt: 18.9C

Mount B2
Load start: 15:00
ambt: 19.2C
idle: 29-30C

Later: (roughly 20 hours from start)
ambt: 18.6C
idle: 29-30C

Notes
*Temps can be lowered by roughly 2C under load and roughly 1C while idle if second 120mm fan is added to HS in push-pull config.
*Mount B2 was done after TIM spent roughly 5 mins in a mug of water, the temp of the water dropped from 80C to 70C within that time. HSF was forced down flat and wiggled a bit before being secured with AM2 retention clip thingy.
*HSF base was "wetted" or whatever before mounts B1 & B2 but not before A1 & A2.
*AC MX-2 in mounts A1 & A2 was applied using the 2-3 line method due to use of direct touch heatpipe cooler, ICD7 in mounts B1 & B2 was applied in a single blob in the centre as per Innovation Cooling instructions.

If you would like, I can leave mount B2(the current one) on longer and you can PM me to check for any changes in a week and the week after that. This is assuming that it has not had time to cure so far. On the other hand my cooler may be the bottleneck here, but it is not _too_ far off the Vendetta 2's performance so one would think that they would have similar results.

*shrug*

Let me know if you want me to leave this stuff on so you can check up on it later.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
Rookie
F@H

HARDWARE: Q6600@3ghz with core contact freezer and noctua p12

Pre-IC7
Compound:
MX-2
Abient Temp: 22
Idle Temp: 33
Load Temp:

IC7
Ambient Temp:
Idle Temp: 32
Load Temp: 53
Old March 27, 2009, 04:01 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
MacJunky -Notes
*Temps can be lowered by roughly 2C under load and roughly 1C while idle if second 120mm fan is added to HS in push-pull config.
*Mount B2 was done after TIM spent roughly 5 mins in a mug of water, the temp of the water dropped from 80C to 70C within that time. HSF was forced down flat and wiggled a bit before being secured with AM2 retention clip thingy.
*HSF base was "wetted" or whatever before mounts B1 & B2 but not before A1 & A2.
*AC MX-2 in mounts A1 & A2 was applied using the 2-3 line method due to use of direct touch heatpipe cooler, ICD7 in mounts B1 & B2 was applied in a single blob in the centre as per Innovation Cooling instructions.

If you would like, I can leave mount B2(the current one) on longer and you can PM me to check for any changes in a week and the week after that. This is assuming that it has not had time to cure so far. On the other hand my cooler may be the bottleneck here, but it is not _too_ far off the Vendetta 2's performance so one would think that they would have similar results.
Nice thermocoulpe set up, I like it- so you were measuring IHS Temp?

When the application instructions were developed for ICD heat pipe direct touch coolers were new and not in wide circulation so was not as consideration. At this point it looks like I am behind the times and will have to develop a revision to include them.

I will get a heat pipe direct touch cooler next week and work over the application methods as it does seem to make a difference - Maybe put together a picture guide with some glass slides.

What do you mean directed up and directed down? Is that with the case down or upright? I am a little confused on that.

How was the Grease spread pattern on the A test vs the B tests?

As far as the extra burn in goes I am not sure it makes a difference - you could try it, up to you

Thanks for the effort and the detail info, much appreciated

Dicko at Overclockers Australia has done some extensive application work with the direct heat pipe direct touch coolers and supplied me with the following guide at my request.

Fill in the gaps between the Heatpipes and fins. Rub the IC Diamond in to the gaps very well to make sure there are no air pockets. ( Any air pockets or tiny bubbles between CPU and Cooler can greatly affect results.) Also warm up the HDT Cooler and the IC Diamond so they are easier to work with. This allows you to work the thicker compound into the gaps more effectively. Otherwise it can be a little hard to make it stay between the pipes and aluminium fins.
Then wipe off any excess leaving only the TIM between the heatpipes and aluminium fins and perhaps leaving a very slight haze over the copper of the heatpipes.
Then apply to HDT Cooler as you do with all other coolers, a pea sized blob on the CPU. Or the 2 thin lines on the aluminium fins. Try both and see which works best for your setup. The blob has worked best for me.
One last thing. Prior to application make sure the HSF and CPU are clean. To do this use Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ pure (This is available from the chemist Drug store, and is very inexpensive.) or something like Arctic Clean and a lint free cloth or coffee filter paper. A clean HSF and CPU are very important for best performance. Good luck.

The thin lines were difficult to do as the IC Diamond is as thick as it is but can be done if the compound is warmed up well beforehand. I also found warming up the CPU with a hair dryer just before applying the IC Diamond helped get a more even spread when attaching the cooler. But you may not want to put that in instructions as it may seem a bit too much work for some people

Last edited by ICD7; March 27, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old March 27, 2009, 06:07 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasheKicker View Post
Pre-IC7
Compound:
Artic Coolin MX2
Ambient Temp:
23Deg C
Idle Temp: 41 - 38
Load Temp:
57 - 52

Pre-IC7
Compound:
Silver Stone
Abient Temp:
Idle Temp: 42 - 38
Load Temp:
57 - 53

IC7

Ambient Temp:
Idle Temp:
40 -38
Load Temp: 55 - 50

Other Data
Heatsink: ThermalRight Ultra 120, with Single Noctua NF-P12 (pushing)
System - Rig #1, Stock Clocks.
Test Method - OCCT CPU Test, Default settings.

Results look pretty good for me, 2Deg drop from the MX2.
Overall temps were actually 3-4 degress lower over the run of the tests.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g