Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2009, 04:49 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev.nam View Post
With Arctic Silver:

With IC7:

Pre-IC7
Compound: AS5
Idle Temp: 36
Load Temp: 50

IC7
Idle Temp: 33
Load Temp: 49

It's also worth mentioning that with the AS5, the temperature was a steady 50*C. However with the IC7, the temperature kept fluctuating between 47-50*C, but mostly kept at about 48-49. The Idle temperatures on the other hand, dropped much more, which is odd
Hmm...I had much better results vs AS5 using a Vendetta 2. I wetted the spaces in between the heatpipes with some past first and then applied the compound as usual. I found the direct touch heatpipe coolers needed just a fraction more compound to fill all the voids compared to flat surface coolers.

If you are ever so inclined, you might consider a remount because I've used the vendetta2 many times..mounted and re-mounted it and once i figured out how to apply the compound to it correctly, I get consistently better results in contrast to other pastes.

Just my 2 cents...every scenario is unique.

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old March 26, 2009, 05:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My setup : I7 920 Oced to 4.1 HT on.
Ambiant is a nice 22 degrees

Pre-IC7
Compound: AS5
Idle Temp: ? never Idle always running boinc, and I forgot to test it.
Load Temp: 60-61 on all 4 cores

IC7
Idle Temp: Forgot to test, and again, never idle always running BOINC
Load Temp: 58-59

Interesting stuff, not like any TIM I ever used. Thanks for the giveaway.... Where can we get it in Canada ? Dont think I ever seen it in at NCIX....

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old March 26, 2009, 06:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To get best results with any TIM and HDTs your better off smearing a bit on the base to fill the gaps up, remove the access TIM and THEN apply TIM to the cpu as normal. YMMV but that should net better results. Better still is the 2 or 3 line method...that is what I do for all HWC HDT tests....BUT thats not what Nademon recomends with IC 7.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 26, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just got and tried this stuff last night so while I wait for it to cure(assuming it has not already) I am just going to go ahead and say that no matter what cooler you have, you should warm up the IC Diamond before application. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. ALWAYS.
Do not give me any crap about it working fine when cold. That is bullshit.

Also, just ignore this stuff if you are using a heatsink that makes use of the stock AM2 retention bracket thingy. If you are using AM2 retention thingy just go get yourself some nice MX-2 or ASwhatever, IC Diamond will mostly only result in headaches and bad spreading for you due to it's properties and the angle that the HS is forced down at when you secure it.

So far when left with prime95 running from 22:00 to 09:00 the temps are still pretty similar to MX-2 but I will give it more time and then do a remount and post proper results later.
I would like to note that I am not sure how much force it is under at the moment and I am not about to stick my computer in a 100C oven. (Am I the only one who thinks that baking this stuff at that temp kinda skews the results a little considering that aside from industrial applications, it will never get that hot in 99% of the computers it gets used in?)
Old March 26, 2009, 10:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
I just got and tried this stuff last night so while I wait for it
Also, just ignore this stuff if you are using a heatsink that makes use of the stock AM2 retention bracket thingy. If you are using AM2 retention thingy just go get yourself some nice MX-2 or ASwhatever, IC Diamond will mostly only result in headaches and bad spreading for you due to it's properties and the angle that the HS is forced down at when you secure it.
Gotta agree with this one. My first attempt i took it off to do a remount, and it was smeared all towards one side (the one that you clip in second) so about one third of the cpu didnt even have any tim on it. Fairly certain this happened again the second time but i dont have enough left for a reapplication or any other tim to use after. If youre using an am2 system id recommend actually applying the tim close to the edge of the cpu on the side that will cause the heatsink to force it across to the other side. Hard to explain but i think most people with an am2 socket who try this stuff will know what i mean lol.
If i had some more tim id love to attempt the method myself but im all out, if anyone here has a heatsink that uses the am2 retention bracket and either hasnt applied the tim yet, or even better, has applied it in the center and has enough to apply it this way as a comparison id be interested.
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old March 26, 2009, 10:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nademon I'm probably the last person to recieve the TIM way over here on the wet coast but I'll be doing the IC7 tests this weekend. I plan on doing 4 seatings with pictures and application methods. I agree with AkG about pre-applying the tim to the base of a HDT as the groves tend to soak up the tim if application is done with pressure alone. I'll do it as instructed and then as Sinatra said I'll do it my way. I think two seatings for each method should give accurate results. As for the viscosity of the TIM I'm pretty happy with the fluidity of it and really don't see there being any need to pre-heat it but then again my home is pretty warm so we'll see.

After reading what the IC7 rep said about that pressure paper I really wish a small piece was included with the TIM. I'm very curious to see how the contact pressure distribution is on my DTHS after being lapped but I agree with him that including it in a retail package in the future wouldn't be cost effective and very few people would make use of it. Also his demonstration of appropriate pressure was great and I'm still mulling over how I'll test seated pressure to 50lbs. Also I'm curious at what pressure Intel recommends and what force thier push pins are calibrated to. I know Intel used to have weight limits on HS's for past processors but I don't know if they still have spec weight limits on thier newer CPUs in regards to down force.

Sorry for straying OT guys. Thanks for the TIM I can't wait to test it out. BTW can I get voucher for a days loss of folding
Old March 26, 2009, 01:22 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Gotta agree with this one. My first attempt i took it off to do a remount, and it was smeared all towards one side (the one that you clip in second) so about one third of the cpu didnt even have any tim on it. Fairly certain this happened again the second time but i dont have enough left for a reapplication or any other tim to use after. If youre using an am2 system id recommend actually applying the tim close to the edge of the cpu on the side that will cause the heatsink to force it across to the other side. Hard to explain but i think most people with an am2 socket who try this stuff will know what i mean lol.

There is always some % of applications that do not fit the mold.

In the attachment scenario above I would apply the grease, then place the sink on and apply pressure in a kind of pre spreading maneuver and maybe twist or rotate the sink back and forth while applying pressure. I would not lift the sink to check the spread as you will have a rough spread on sink and IHS so when place the sink back down you will most likely introduce some air into the mount. That should level it enough to then attach the mounting clips.

I myself never heat the paste even on Monday mornings when the heat has been off all weekend and the office is at 15C, Just suits some people to heat it.

Andrew
Old March 26, 2009, 01:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

That my result

Pre-IC7
MX-2
idle: 34/37
load: 56/58
room temp: 23

IC7
idle: 35/37
load: 55/57
room temp: 25

My hardware:
Lapped e5200 at 3.8/1.36
EP45-UD3P
2x2g G.Skill pc2 8000
HIS 4870
Corsair HX520W
Lapped OCZ vendetta2 with scythe 120x38 2000rpm
NO CASE
Old March 26, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Alrighty finally got a chance to try this stuff out...

Pre-IC7
Antec Formula 5 (AC5 Knock off)
Idle: 39/33
Load: 54/54
Ambient: 20

Post IC7
Idle: 39/30
Load: 52/52
Ambient: 20

Tests where done with 1 hour idle from initial start up, then loaded with small FFTs in orthos for 1 hour.

I also applied this to 1 9800GTX Vanilla, 1 9800GTX+ SC+ edition, and my 790i FTW Digital PWM motherboards SPP and MCP.

The results where roughly 5-7c cooler at load on both video cards and a good drop in temps from the MCP, idling now at 56c vs 62 before and load never goes above 70c and was hitting 84c before.
I also got about 2c less on each video card at idle which is kind of nice. All in all I was decently impressed by this TIM I didnt expect to see much of an improvement and I think 3c on the CPU
plus a bit on idle was kind of a nice bonus. The TIM was a little thick and I perfered working with the Formula 5 just because of thickness and ease of application, but I like that IC7 is non capacative and non conductive.

I did manage to get some pictures of most of the process this time around so ill be adding those within the next couple days.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 26, 2009, 04:30 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
To get best results with any TIM and HDTs your better off smearing a bit on the base to fill the gaps up, remove the access TIM and THEN apply TIM to the cpu as normal. YMMV but that should net better results. Better still is the 2 or 3 line method...that is what I do for all HWC HDT tests....BUT thats not what Nademon recomends with IC 7.
Very good link! The method that I've been recommending is based off the testing that ICD7 has done and I believe it's what is ideal for the majority of users. But HDT coolers do have those grooves to contend with. I took a look at the link and the method used in the 6th picture down looks pretty interesting. I think I'll have to give it a try myself and see how it works out with some IC7. I'm assuming it's including a pre-wetting of the grooves in between the heatpipes to fill any voids. I'll see if I can't give it a try and post my results. I still believe the pea size application is best for all smooth/flat surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
I just got and tried this stuff last night so while I wait for it to cure(assuming it has not already) I am just going to go ahead and say that no matter what cooler you have, you should warm up the IC Diamond before application. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. ALWAYS.
Do not give me any crap about it working fine when cold. That is bullshit.

So far when left with prime95 running from 22:00 to 09:00 the temps are still pretty similar to MX-2 but I will give it more time and then do a remount and post proper results later.
I would like to note that I am not sure how much force it is under at the moment and I am not about to stick my computer in a 100C oven. (Am I the only one who thinks that baking this stuff at that temp kinda skews the results a little considering that aside from industrial applications, it will never get that hot in 99% of the computers it gets used in?)
I've never warmed up the TIM before using it. I have always applied it at room temperature and it's worked fine for me. Warming the TIM does make it a bit easier to get out of the tube and is a preference for some people, but isn't a must. I'm sorry you feel it's B.S., but besides my own personal experience, I've had a group of my own friends try it out and they were able to apply it just fine without warming it up first. Like I said, it's a personal preference thing, so if warming it up works for you, by all means do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
If i had some more tim id love to attempt the method myself but im all out, if anyone here has a heatsink that uses the am2 retention bracket and either hasnt applied the tim yet, or even better, has applied it in the center and has enough to apply it this way as a comparison id be interested.
YGPM

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU