Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101 (permalink)  
Old March 31, 2009, 05:04 PM
Digikid's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,729
Default

I am impressed!!! I only did the CPU for now...I used MX-2 beforehand

Before:
Idle: 45c
Load: around 65c

After I used IC7:
Idle: 40c
Load: 53 - 60c

5 Degree Celsius is a nice improvement!!!!! When I get my stepup to my classified I will do the whole shebang!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #102 (permalink)  
Old March 31, 2009, 09:19 PM
ICD7's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
Default Updated Results



Any corrections let me know

Reply With Quote
  #103 (permalink)  
Old March 31, 2009, 10:16 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,826
Default

Heh. Seems like our "smaller" forum is giving you a ton of data. Good to see the members participating so well. Great job everyone!!
Reply With Quote
  #104 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2009, 06:38 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,067

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Heh. Seems like our "smaller" forum is giving you a ton of data. Good to see the members participating so well. Great job everyone!!

I think we always love to test new things here, and it gives us all a chance to rip everything apart and do it all over again!

BTW SKY, nice temps with the Boreas. That thing is a thermal monster..

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #105 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2009, 07:55 AM
Nademon's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 308
Default

Just thought i'd chime in and say thanks to all the HWC members for their outstanding level of participation! When I approached Andrew about HWC, I knew he'd be more than happy with the community on my favourite tech site. So, thanks everyone for coming through in spades...we're getting some amazing data from real world users. I know there's still more results to come and I look forward to seeing them all.

Also, I just wanted to remind people that IC Diamond is about more than just good temps. It was also developed for extremely short set times (relative to other compounds) and also more importantly, superb long-term stability too. It's also ideal for server applications, so keep that in mind. You'll probably be done using your machine long before you ever need to worry about the ICD ever breaking down. Just thought I should bring that to everyone's attention so that if you're getting great results temp-wise, you're also getting some added benefit to go with it.

Please feel free to PM me if there's anything else anyone needs...I'm happy to help in any way I can and please support the HWC store if you're on the market for more IC7!

- D
__________________
REFS:

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Reply With Quote
  #106 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2009, 09:38 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,067

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nademon View Post
Just thought i'd chime in and say thanks to all the HWC members for their outstanding level of participation! When I approached Andrew about HWC, I knew he'd be more than happy with the community on my favourite tech site. So, thanks everyone for coming through in spades...we're getting some amazing data from real world users. I know there's still more results to come and I look forward to seeing them all.

Also, I just wanted to remind people that IC Diamond is about more than just good temps. It was also developed for extremely short set times (relative to other compounds) and also more importantly, superb long-term stability too. It's also ideal for server applications, so keep that in mind. You'll probably be done using your machine long before you ever need to worry about the ICD ever breaking down. Just thought I should bring that to everyone's attention so that if you're getting great results temp-wise, you're also getting some added benefit to go with it.

Please feel free to PM me if there's anything else anyone needs...I'm happy to help in any way I can and please support the HWC store if you're on the market for more IC7!

- D

I would like to Know, if it is typical with the IC24 I got, to have improved Temp Over time after Thermally Loading and cooling the Processor.
I noticed (as stated in my post) that I had a slight improvement after it had been in use for a little while.


Thanks,
ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #107 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2009, 09:46 AM
Nademon's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I would like to Know, if it is typical with the IC24 I got, to have improved Temp Over time after Thermally Loading and cooling the Processor.
I noticed (as stated in my post) that I had a slight improvement after it had been in use for a little while.


Thanks,
ST
That's not abnormal. Most TIM's have curing times, IC24 (same as IC7) just has shorter set up times. Under ideal conditions with proper downforce, setup can be as little as approx 2 hours. Less downforce can result in longer set times (upto a week or so) and it's not unusual to see a slight drop in temps once it's cured and been thermally cycled. my personal experience has shown this to be true as the paste spreads out and fills all the tiny imperfections/gaps in the two surfaces, it reaches optimal performance.

So in short, not unusual at all...seems to me you did a good job with the application and the compound is doing it's job! i'm sure ICD7 can chime in with a much more scientific explanation as he's done very extensive testing with the compound.

Hope that helps!

- D
__________________
REFS:

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Reply With Quote
  #108 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2009, 10:33 AM
ICD7's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I would like to Know, if it is typical with the IC24 I got, to have improved Temp Over time after Thermally Loading and cooling the Processor.
I noticed (as stated in my post) that I had a slight improvement after it had been in use for a little while.


Thanks,
ST
From my own Lab testing 50 to 100 lbs pressure loading with power loads 60W to 200 W it generally takes about two hours to hit peak, you might gain an additional 1/2 degree overnight. I have a system running about 3 years stable within a couple 10th's of a degree since the first 24 hours application. That's what I know.

That being said on just about every forum there are a couple that report improvement after a few days or even a couple of weeks of curing. I believe the reports I just do not understand the nuances behind the results, like some pressure or temperature threshold or a texture/finish issue I am not aware of. That's what I do not know

Typically what happens when you mount the sink and turn on the system the paste heats up and starts to flow and with adequate pressure (50lbs.+) it resolves down to your average particle size which becomes your bond line thickness (BLT) Thinner the bond line the better, the more conductive the material the better. It's a little of a balancing act to optimize.

Just a general information note regarding the importance of flatness.

Figure #1 is an idealized contact.

Sink and IHS are perfectly flat. With proper pressure and heat the paste flows and the gap separating sink and IHS closes or resolves down to the average particle size - the size of the particle determines the ultimate bond line thickness (BLT) Smaller the gap the better the performance in conjunction with material thermal conductivity determines performance. My experience is that too much paste will not affect performance -excess is just forced out

Figure # 2 is an illustration of the interference of high spots between the mating surfaces.

If the high spot is the same height as the particle thickness, Particles on top of that high spot will add a whole new layer of compound to the interface, 2X the amount of paste in the BLT increasing the resistance and negatively impacting performance - Flatness is the first priority when seeking best performance when lapping.


Reply With Quote
  #109 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2009, 10:58 AM
ICD7's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Heh. Seems like our "smaller" forum is giving you a ton of data. Good to see the members participating so well. Great job everyone!!
The response has been great, high standard of professionalism here. The smaller communities tend to be more connected, more responsible, more dedicated. I think the word is Hardcore. I am Very pleased with the results and the group is easy to work with so you can have a group hug, pat yourself on the backs for a job well done. lol picture makes my eyes hurt



Andrew
Reply With Quote
  #110 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2009, 11:10 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,067

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICD7 View Post
From my own Lab testing 50 to 100 lbs pressure loading with power loads 60W to 200 W it generally takes about two hours to hit peak, you might gain an additional 1/2 degree overnight. I have a system running about 3 years stable within a couple 10th's of a degree since the first 24 hours application. That's what I know.

That being said on just about every forum there are a couple that report improvement after a few days or even a couple of weeks of curing. I believe the reports I just do not understand the nuances behind the results, like some pressure or temperature threshold or a texture/finish issue I am not aware of. That's what I do not know

Typically what happens when you mount the sink and turn on the system the paste heats up and starts to flow and with adequate pressure (50lbs.+) it resolves down to your average particle size which becomes your bond line thickness (BLT) Thinner the bond line the better, the more conductive the material the better. It's a little of a balancing act to optimize.

Just a general information note regarding the importance of flatness.

Figure #1 is an idealized contact.

Sink and IHS are perfectly flat. With proper pressure and heat the paste flows and the gap separating sink and IHS closes or resolves down to the average particle size - the size of the particle determines the ultimate bond line thickness (BLT) Smaller the gap the better the performance in conjunction with material thermal conductivity determines performance. My experience is that too much paste will not affect performance -excess is just forced out

Figure # 2 is an illustration of the interference of high spots between the mating surfaces.

If the high spot is the same height as the particle thickness, Particles on top of that high spot will add a whole new layer of compound to the interface, 2X the amount of paste in the BLT increasing the resistance and negatively impacting performance - Flatness is the first priority when seeking best performance when lapping.


Cool, I'll load it up again tonight with Prime and see if I get a lower peak Temperature than at the time of testing.
I only asked because with the OCZ it never got that sort of result from the day I applied it , to the day I removed it.
Interesting stuff none the less.

I may Lap the HS (which has a notorious imperfect surface) and try another Run to see how that helps.
I have maximum pressure for sure with my LGA775 setup, the spring screws refuse to go any tighter.
As for the AMD...well....that is anyones guess with that clip thingy.

All in all, good stuff for sure.
I never thought something would knock my precious Freeze from my hands but looks like I have a new favourite.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com

Last edited by Soultribunal; April 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Spelling, again.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free innovation cooling 7 carat diamond tim giveaway!! Nademon Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking 218 April 1, 2009 09:10 AM
X3 720BE > X4 :) The Results Thread :) arekieh CPU's and Motherboards 4 March 3, 2009 11:08 PM
[FS] IC Diamond 7 Carat TIM Apollo4g Buy/Sell & Trade 13 February 25, 2009 06:23 AM
First Results, First OC Soultribunal Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking 2 January 31, 2009 08:57 AM
oc results so far Jim CPU's and Motherboards 7 July 25, 2007 01:52 PM