Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2009, 02:00 PM
Rookie

Default Random deaths

Put together my system over a month ago:

E8400 E0 stepping(OC'd to 4GHz - 450FSB 1.275vcore, 37C at full load)
P5Q Pro
G.Skill 2x2GB PC2-8000 DDR2
BFG GTX280
Corsair HX620
WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD

And had it running smoothly. Got it up to 4GHz stable (24 hrs on Orthos, another 24 with Prime95) and thought that was that. Two days later, during some minor desktop hopping between an Excel spreadsheet and Firefox I got a blue screen saying something to the effect of "If this is your first time seeing this screen, don't sweat it, but if you see it again, you've got a problem" I never saw that screen again.

I was away from my computer for the entire month of February and only returned to it today. Fired it up this morning and within only a few minutes the screen went blank, but the fans were still running. I thought it might be a monitor issue, fiddled with the connections and rebooted. This time everything ran fine while I was testing out a new set of headphones when the screen went blank again and the music began stuttering ... doesn't seem like the monitor's the issue.

So I've dropped the FSB to 425 and am running an Orthos blended test...15 minutes in and so far so good. Just wondering if this type of crash is symptomatic of anything specific or I'm doomed to screw around with every component until I isolate the cause of death.

Thanks!
Old February 27, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you retrieve any details from the Windows system logs about the Bluescreen? Go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer, and poke around the System logs for any "Error" log entries.

It may be a driver issue but the way you said your screen turns blank makes me think it's either GPU or memory at fault. I'll focus especially on the memory (both system and GPU) if your screen goes crazy colours before going blank. Try MemTest86+ and FurMark stability tests.
Old February 27, 2009, 05:33 PM
Rookie

Couldn't find anything significant in the error logs.

I just ran a FurMark stability test and the screen went blank after only 3 minutes. The GPU fan stopped running, but I could hear the HDD chugging along.

Rebooted and had the CHKDSK screen in front of me. It deleted a few "corrupt attribute records", "index entries" and then forced a reboot before I could even finish reading what it had been up to. Am I looking at a HDD issue?

Got back into Windows and ran FurMark with the exact same result - blank screen after 3 minutes of stress testing. *cry*
Old March 1, 2009, 02:51 AM
MVP

overclocking
Maybe it was never 100%stable.
Run it way down even at defaults with only necessarry voltages
see what it does
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old March 1, 2009, 08:28 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'm going to say it is your overclock also. Namely too low of core voltage for those speeds.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

Agreed. Increase you vcore a notch.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree with the others to increase your CPU voltage. If in the future you see another BSOD and there's something about "IRQL" in it, then that will be your RAM overclock so if you see IRQL, start tweaking the RAM voltage, timings, etc.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old March 1, 2009, 06:33 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. I'll start toggling with the vcore and mem voltage settings.

What I don't understand is how my system can remain stable under hours of pounding from Orthos (blend test) and Prime95, but will crash when I try loading the Empire: Total War demo or run Windows Media player for more than ten minutes.
Old March 2, 2009, 06:12 PM
Rookie

To test the overclocking theory I just restored all of my settings to their default and ran a FurMark stability test. Like the past two tests the system crashed after less than three minutes of torture. No special effects involved - the screen just went blank and the vid card fan stopped spinning.

I'll run MemTest tomorrow when I have more time to fiddle around with my system.

Looks like there might be an RMA in the cards. What're the chances I'm experiencing a software issue with Win XP 32-bit?

Blah...frustrating problem since I don't have any spare parts to slot in to help with the troubleshooting.

cheers
Old March 7, 2009, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
To test the overclocking theory I just restored all of my settings to their default and ran a FurMark stability test. Like the past two tests the system crashed after less than three minutes of torture. No special effects involved - the screen just went blank and the vid card fan stopped spinning.

I'll run MemTest tomorrow when I have more time to fiddle around with my system.

Looks like there might be an RMA in the cards. What're the chances I'm experiencing a software issue with Win XP 32-bit?

Blah...frustrating problem since I don't have any spare parts to slot in to help with the troubleshooting.

cheers
Welcome to the "wonderful" world of OC'ing.....