Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2009, 05:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Question Pentium 90 (P54C) multiplier modification?

An old Pentium 90 CPU (P54C) has internal multiplier x1.5 - so it make from the 60MHz FSB the 90MHz clock.

I do wonder, however, if that multiplier can be set to x1

Usually people want to overclock, however I would like to try underclocking and the x1.5 multiplier suxx. If I understand good the multiplier settings, for example for the Asus TXP4-X Socket 7 board: RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
( Asus TXP4-X Socket 7 - CapsMod Your Motherboard - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz! )
Then setting BF0, BF1 to 1-2, 1-2 (manual, page 17) let the CPU internal multiplier be used, so, if I can modify the multiplier somehow (burning internal path? connecting two pins?), then I got the underclocker dream machine.

Anyone know if that is possible or know someone who might know?

Another possibility is the Pentium Overdrive, but dunno where to obtain one and if it ever run at x1 multi. Any other ideas, beside rare 5V Pentium 60/66 witch use Socket 4 and hence are not very usufull as the nice underclocker board has Socket 7 (5) ...

Another idea pop into mind and that is the Mobile Pentium or Mobile Pentium MMX chips for laptops, but I have no idea either where to get one of these, besides I have no idea if they can run with the x1 multi...

Anyone got some clues there?
Old March 2, 2009, 05:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

As far as the documentation goes, well, if I have it, I would figure it out myself already, so I asking about that because I did not have it. Intel sell (!!!) some documentations that might be interesting, like:

Pentium Processor Technical Overview - 241610
AP-579: Pentium Processor Flexible Motherboard Design Guidelines - 243187
AP-479: Pentium Processor Clock Design - 241574
Pentium Processor 3.3V Clock Driver Specifications
Pentium Processor 3.3V ASIC Interface Specification

However I did not seems any way to buy them: IntelŪ PentiumŪ Processor - Literature Guide
IntelŪ PentiumŪ Processor 90 MHz - SU031
IntelŪ PentiumŪ Processor - Specification Update

Intel support is really funny. First they are telling me that documentation for Pentium (1) I must BUY (?!?!) and then - Intel is announcing the discontinuation of interactive support for the... well, for almost every older CPUs. That suxx

So I wonder, if any of the also supported Socket 5/7 CPUs by the board, such as Cyrix 6x86 PR166+, K5 and K6 (some even claim K6-2 or so works well) can be forced to accept x1 multi.

So I go to the Advanced Micro Devices, AMD ? Global Provider of Innovative Microprocessor, Graphics and Media Solutions
clicked on the Support & drivers
then clicked on Technical Documentation
...and then ERROR: 404 Not found

ROFL

Is that a IT joke, or AMD way of support?