Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2009, 08:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Troubles OC'ing new Phenom II

Hey all.
Just bought a Phenom II 920 (2.8Ghz). I'm having some issues with overclocking, and I'd like to figure out what I can do to fix it.
My mother board is an ASRock 780GXE. Now, as far as I have read I shouldn't need to update the BIOS, and it should have worked fine right off the start. However, if I cannot find any other solutions, I will resort to this.

When I went to overclock, I found out very quick that it wasn't going to let me get to 3.0 Ghz on stock voltage. This to me is a problem, considering I have read many articles of people reaching 3.2 Ghz right out of the box, and 3.5 Ghz with a very insignificant change to the Vcore. I'd rather not touch the voltage, thats a just a prefference of mine and I'd like to stick to it.

Also as a side note, when I view system settings my processor comes up as "AMD Processor model unknown". What does this mean and how do I fix it?

So I guess my questions are:
-Do I need a BIOS update?
-Would a reformate help?
-Could this processor just be a "bad chip".

Hope to get some answers, thanks for reading.
Old February 20, 2009, 08:52 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

If you processor is being called an unknown then yuo should definitely update your bios then try again.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:17 PM
MVP

dunno what kinda bios flashing systems Asrock has, but I'd recommend not using anything that updates while in the Operating System. A flash drive is probably the easiest way.

Another note, you may void your warranty by flashing the bios, might want to check with Asrock first.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You got an ASrock board and you are expecting stellar overclocking? Start with updating the bios and then count your blessings for every single Mhz over stock speed. You didn't get a bad CPU, you got a weak motherboard.
Old February 20, 2009, 11:38 PM
MVP
F@H

agreed asrock is great for stock speed but wont oc worth crap.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old February 21, 2009, 06:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

With my last processor (4000 dual core) I overclocked it from 2.1ghz to 2.6ghz on stock voltages, with no problems.
My best friend has the exact same board with a Phenom X3 8750 and he can over clock it to 3.0 ghz no problems either. So it doesn't exactly sound like the board is "weak".

On the ASRock site there are no BIOS updates for this board, so I'm not sure where to look other than there for them.
Old February 21, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Overclocking an X2 and even the X3 is infinitely easier than overclocking the X4's. Sounds strange, but they just do not like to overclock much at all without multi changes. ASrock are bargain boards, they are not meant for overclocking.
Old February 21, 2009, 07:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Just updated the BIOS so now my computer recognizes what I have.
What would you recommend for a great oc'ing board then?
Old February 21, 2009, 07:59 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ps: If you where to recommend a board with great overclocking, I would be looking for something under $200, and crossfire capable. Thanks :)
Old February 21, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS M3A78-T ATX AM2 AMD790GX CrossFire 3PCI-E16 PCI-E 2PCI SATA RAID Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard - M3A78-T In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 ATX AM2+/AM3 AMD790X DDR2 CrossFireX 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard - GA-MA790X-UD4 In Canada.

Those are the only 2 I can find that I would recommend in your price range. I am biased towards ASUS, but Gigabyte does make one hell of a board.

Now that your board recognizes your CPU, give it a go. Bump it up a few at a time and it might surprise you.