Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default How am I doing so far?

Greetings! I am a beginner/novice oc'er. Since I recently installed my evga 780i, (thanks lpfan!) I decided to see if my e6400 would do better than my last 2 boards. 2.5 on my P5N32 sli se deluxe and 2.6 on a P5KL-CM. I thought I just had a not so great chip, but it appears not. I simply unlinked and ramped up the fsb. It has taken me 3 days to get to this point. I haven't touched any voltages except for a slight vcore bump. Rig specs are in my sig. Prime95 is currently running in the background small fft's with a few other apps for the last 5 hours. I haven't had so much as an OS hiccup so far. Am I safe to keep pushing at this temp? The coolit freezone was bought refurbished and I'm using thermaltake thermalright as TIM. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Name:  OC.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  95.0 KB

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old February 17, 2009, 08:26 PM
Banned
F@H

Temps are fine, and volts are pretty darn good for those clocks... you could probably get 3.6 @ 1.4v cpu or less...
Old February 17, 2009, 08:26 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Well done. Those temps under load are more than acceptable. Can you try 400?
Old February 19, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had a few crashes here and there. I couldn't get through 3dmark6 and it would lock up on super pi 32m. I gave a slight bump to to the MCP, SPP and ram. Cpu voltage is now at 1.36 with cpu-z showing 1.33. Is this what vdrop is? Appears to be stable with prime95 running and instances of 3dmark6 at the same time. Could someone suggest a looped game benchmark? It would be appreciated.

Name:  final.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  291.0 KB

This is as far as I'm willing to go due to the fact that my temps are climbing. Looks like I'll be looking for a new cpu cooler. I currently have 3 120mm fans cooling the case with 2 more coming next week. top/bottom/side fans with filters pulling and top fans pushing. Rear is being used by the TEC. I like the TEC systems but that in no way means I won't be building a wc system in the future. I'd like to see the results of the coolermaster V10 compared to newer Coolit systems when they come out. My fan speed controller should handle some of the noise.

Old February 19, 2009, 12:25 PM
Banned
F@H

For 3D...I suggest GRiD...play a 3-5 lap race, then let the replay loop.

Also, Battlefield 2142 is very sensitive to instability of any sort...
Old February 19, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do not use game benchmarks. Use OCCT to stress the CPU. Make sure it's 2 hours stable. Run your memory 1:1 to the FSB.

You might want to drop it back down to 3.2Ghz because your temps are getting high. Use OCCT to find out the max temp you're getting as well.
Old February 19, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I got better results on my oc running unsynched. My system is stable and the 60C temp is while running prime95 small fft's, other apps in the background and running 3dmark6 randomly. I want to run a gaming benchmark with prime95 running as well. If I can get 6-8 hours without a lockup, I would consider this a successfull overclock. I'll give battlefield a try. Thanks.