Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2009, 12:15 AM
Top Prospect

Default oc'ing q9550

if I'm just running on the stock heatsink how far can I push my Q9550?

running striker II extreme
2x gtx260 in SLi
4gb corsair xms3 1066

Thanks
Old February 5, 2009, 11:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyuterus View Post
if I'm just running on the stock heatsink how far can I push my Q9550?

running striker II extreme
2x gtx260 in SLi
4gb corsair xms3 1066

Thanks
My crystal ball says ~3.7-3.8 with good case flow. Hope it's right.
Old February 6, 2009, 01:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
My crystal ball says ~3.7-3.8 with good case flow. Hope it's right.
What if its wrong? Whoops?

That being said, I'd say you can get a good 3.4-3.6GHz on the stock cooler.
Old February 6, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
What if its wrong? Whoops?

That being said, I'd say you can get a good 3.4-3.6GHz on the stock cooler.
Then i guess you can't tell someone what frequency their processor will hit...for sure. Then they'll have to find out on their own.
Old February 7, 2009, 04:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Its obvious, but if you want the most out that chip invest in a good aftermarket cooler. I am inclined to agree with chilly that 3.4 3.6 would be about as much as the stock cooler could take, in short of being ridiculously loud to.
Old February 8, 2009, 01:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, i could be a little optimistic.. i'm just so used to everyone automatically putting an aftermarket HS/F on their Quads.
Old February 8, 2009, 03:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Stock + Overclocking = Lowered expectations
Old February 9, 2009, 08:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Then i guess you can't tell someone what frequency their processor will hit...for sure. Then they'll have to find out on their own.

if I go to far will my processor actually explode taking out 50 square hectares? can someone guarantee this?

well I would say from 2.83-3.6 ain't half bad considering it hasn't cost me anything extra!

is it possible my ram could bottle neck me or my video cards though?

I didn't get the greatest ram, I have 4gb of corsair XMS3 1066

also, will the stock heatsink level itself up as temps rise?
Old February 9, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
if I go to far will my processor actually explode taking out 50 square hectares? can someone guarantee this?
No..you usually just have to do a BIOS reset if you push a little too high. Now, if you grossly overvolt, the CPU could just sign off(generally very uneventful).

Quote:
well I would say from 2.83-3.6 ain't half bad considering it hasn't cost me anything extra!
Quite true... but some of us are quite enthusiastic... and enough is never enough.

Quote:
is it possible my ram could bottle neck me or my video cards though?
No, shouldn't be a problem. DDR2 1066 is good for an FSB of 533(run synchronously..1:1) Very highly unlikely that you could push that 9550 over 500FSB.

Quote:
I didn't get the greatest ram, I have 4gb of corsair XMS3 1066
Again, as long as it'll run 450-475MHz.. you should be fine. Your timings may not be the greatest, but you should still be pleased with the performance.

Quote:
also, will the stock heatsink level itself up as temps rise?
The stock heatsink is not the greatest.. far from it. The higher you overclock, and especially, the more vCore you throw at it.. the more disproportionately temps will rise. If you want a nice O/C with decent temps, an aftermarket HS/F would be a wise investment. Keeping your CPU cool goes a long way towards lengthening it's lifespan. GL
Old February 9, 2009, 10:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
No..you usually just have to do a BIOS reset if you push a little too high. Now, if you grossly overvolt, the CPU could just sign off(generally very uneventful).

Quite true... but some of us are quite enthusiastic... and enough is never enough.

No, shouldn't be a problem. DDR2 1066 is good for an FSB of 533(run synchronously..1:1) Very highly unlikely that you could push that 9550 over 500FSB.

Again, as long as it'll run 450-475MHz.. you should be fine. Your timings may not be the greatest, but you should still be pleased with the performance.

The stock heatsink is not the greatest.. far from it. The higher you overclock, and especially, the more vCore you throw at it.. the more disproportionately temps will rise. If you want a nice O/C with decent temps, an aftermarket HS/F would be a wise investment. Keeping your CPU cool goes a long way towards lengthening it's lifespan. GL

thanks for the help! I just used the CPU level up function that comes with the bios in my mobo (strikerII extreme) and I've used OCCT to perform some stress test's and it came up with some graphs that say cpu temp too hot!

temps do not seem to be all that hot, they range from 50-61 over all 4 cores. I was hoping to get up around 3.4 on the stock heatsink

am I correct in thinking that the cpu will only hit these speeds when nescessary, i.e playing games running multiple apps, or will it be running at 3.4 constantly?