Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default I7 920 OC'ing results so far...

Well it sure has been a tedious process to say the least....seems like a lot more tweaking to do than my old 780i E8400 combo....that thing could OC to 4 Ghz if you upped the vCore and sneezed the right way!!!....needless to say the wife has a "rocket".
So after a fair bit of tweaking, I have a "fairly" stable OC....still testing.
I have run LinX 64 Bit 20 passes all good
2 hrs Prime FTT all good.
Only 30 minutes P95 Blended....this still requires a good run and a longer FTT run to deem it stable, but it looks pretty good so far.
Below is the Template (used on the Evga Web Site):
With "Turbo Boost" its running BCLK (QPI) frequency 182 Mhz x 20 (TB 21) 3.8 Ghz vCore set in BIOS to 1.2875v (without vDroop) around 1.32v under full load.
Memory running 9-9-9-24 74 1T @ 1.6v
Load Temps highest @ 69c (under load E-Leet n Real Temp are about the same)
Idle Temps Real Temp 29/29/25/25 E-Leet 35/31/35/33/
Vantage run got 25.7K - PPU enabled
FC2 Benchmark Short Ranch, All Ultra 1920 x 1200 No AA - 103 FPS Avg

Template:
Drivers ( Latest )
Bios ( SZ1G )
CPU ( 920 batch 3838A430)
CPU Cooler (TRUE 120 )
Memory ( Dominator 3X2GB 1600 Mhz )
PSU ( Corsair HX 1kW )
GPU ( GTX 280 SSC x2 SLI 702 / 1458 / 2500 )
Drivers ( 181.22 )
CPU Clock Ratio ( 20X (21X Turbo On) )
CPU Host Frequency ( 182 Mhz )
CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) ( x17 ) (QPI Link 3267.9 Mhz in E-Leet)
Spread Spectrum ( Disabled )
PCIE Frequency (Mhz) ( 100 )

Memory Feature
Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( 2:8 )
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Parameters
tCL Setting ( 9 )
tRCD Setting ( 9 )
tRP Setting ( 9 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( 74 )
Command Rate ( 1T )
Voltage Control
EVGA VDroop Control ( Without VDroop )
CPU VCore ( 1.2875v BIOS ) - shows 1.33v Under Full Prime 95 Load
CPU VTT Voltage ( +150 ) - shows 1.31v Under Full Prime 95 Load
CPU PLL VCore ( Auto ) 1.8v
DIMM Voltage (1.6v BIOS ) - show 1.63v Under load in E-Leet
DIMM DQ Vref ( +0 )
QPI PLL VCore ( Auto ) 1.1v
IOH VCore ( Auto ) 1.1v
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( 1.6v ) - think its prpoer to bump up when running SLI ?
ICH VCore ( Auto ) 1.05v
PWM Frequency ( 800 )

CPU Feature
Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )
Turbo Mode Function ( Enabled )
CxE Function ( Disabled )
Execute Disable Bit ( disabled )
Virtualization Technology ( disabled )
Logical Processor Setting
Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )
Active Processor Cores ( All )
QPI Settings
QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )
QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )
QPI Frequency Selection ( 4.8 GT/s )

Still more tinkering, but if this thing is 100% stable here, this is where it will live! All comments welcome naturally....

Old January 28, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like my settings.

When I tried to get to 4, I just couldn't get 20x200 stable, unless I give over 1.45V to the CPU.. I don't find that too safe. But yeah, good luck!
Old January 29, 2009, 07:49 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Great post, thanks for the info rj.
What a beast too, holy crap at the fc2 and vantage scores.
Old January 29, 2009, 07:59 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Have you tried using the XMP profiles? I ask because with them I have heard it is a pretty easy to get to 4Ghz with the proper cooling.
Old January 29, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hadn;t considered bumping the I/O voltage for SLI- what gains would you expect from that? Do you know if having it set to auto allows it to compensate itself for SLI?
Old January 29, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Hadn;t considered bumping the I/O voltage for SLI- what gains would you expect from that? Do you know if having it set to auto allows it to compensate itself for SLI?
Sorry Barb...no idea really other than reading through the Evga Forums and a few Posts where I thought this was recomended for SLI configs.
As said, their seems to be so many more "adjustments" to make compared to the nForce Chipset.
One other thing I noticed....with the 780i n E8400 a constant bump up to the CPU speed with the 280 SLI config would result in substantial gains in 3DM 06, however, I didn't notice a huge jump with my Vantage Score running CPU from 3.2 - 3.8....
Tells me that the 280 SLI config has finally met its match and is not being bottle-necked at all by the CPU.....in fact its more the opposite...

Old January 29, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah- I haven't done many vantage runs yet, but I noticed odd thing with the CPU score- during one session, I got higher CPU scores with lower clockspeed and I don't think it was because of instability at the higher clock. Generally if there's instability with the CPU, it will just crash in the CPU test.

I also tried playing with the skew settings a little bit, but haven't noticed an effect. I find it surprising how poorly understood the subtleties of i7 overclocking still is. It's easy to get up to 3.8-4.0, but beyond that there be dragons. Perhaps people in the know are just being stoic.

I've been meaning to do some more playing with the settings, but I recently got distracted recently by the voltage tweaking in RivaTuner craze- (with watercooling, you can get quite a bit of OC headroom with a software voltage bump on the 260s). I've been messing with that lately- I'm going to do some more i7 overclocking this weekend though- if I discover anything useful I'll report.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; January 29, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old January 29, 2009, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Still get some oddities....I can run P95 FTT and blended for hours with no errors.....run LinX for up to 10 passes with no errors, but I occasionally get a complete "freeze-up" or a strange Boot-up...still trying to figure out if the "strange boot-up" is Evga X58 BIOS related.....
Anyhow...I'm just going to let this thing run at these settings for a long period of time and see how it performs.

Old January 29, 2009, 10:24 AM

My System Specs

You got a 3838A too eh :( They are a bad batch from what I've seen. Most top out @ 3.8GHz or less. Although if you have HT enabled you already have a better chip that my 3838A.
Old January 29, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
You got a 3838A too eh :( They are a bad batch from what I've seen. Most top out @ 3.8GHz or less. Although if you have HT enabled you already have a better chip that my 3838A.
Seems you only here about the Bad stuff with these Chips, I don't know, I think my Voltages and Max Temps are pretty good and yes HyperThreading is enables as is Turbo Boost. I do have one issue though that I'm completely stumped with and that is the Boot-up. Its intermittent as well, push power button on Case, fans spin, Blue, Green and yellow LED's on Board are on, optical Drive LED's are on, however, no HD or power LED on Case (they're not lit), no Post, no error messages, no signal to monitor......
If I push the Reset button the Case it seems to Boot-up fine.....
I've been trying to get solutions to this on the Evga Web Site as other folks have reported the same thing....we may have in common that we're all using the SZ1G Bios...but many with this BIOS report no problems....
My PSU is compatible withis set-up and has had no issues in the past....totally stumped...I just did a LinX run 30x passes no errors, P95 FTT 3 hrs no errors, P95 Blended no error.....other pulling it all apart and testing on a Bench or ReFlashing to a previous BIOS I'm not sure where to go with this....
Think I'll just leave it as is and see if / when a new BIOS release is out as perhaps that will cure this problem.

Ahhh computers......gotta love em...