Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2009, 06:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

Unhappy Q6600 + Biostar i45 = I'M GOING BALD

Alrighty, so my E8400 on this board was a bloody breeze...however deciding to toss my Q6600 in here for some fun has given me sleepless nights and the temptation to see if I can skip a CPU across a pond like a flat rock. Since I had this CPU at 3.5 stable on my P5Q Pro I thought I'd try for 3.6 on my i45, no bloody luck in spite of a crapload of BSOD's or lockups with Prime95. I should also mention I've tried for 3.5 with both x8 and x9 multi's- so I know the CPU is at least capable of that speed. 3.6 just may not be in the cards on this particular one.

Now the thing is, this is 100% something that I've buggered up or missed, and most likely not the hardware. I'm hoping some fresh eyes and smarter people than me can figure this out. Hell, I'd be happy with either 3.5 or 3.6 being stable on this board. Here's the BIOS settings, sorry if I missed anything but I tried to be all inclusive.

Code:

CPU Configuration
C1E Support                  - Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher          - Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch - Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit        - Disabled
Execute Disable Bit          - Enabled
Core Multi Processing        - Enabled

Overclocking Configuration
Speedstep             - Disabled
Ratio CMOS Setting    - x8
CPU Freq Setting      - 450
Overclock Retry Count - 2
FSB to NB Latch       - FSB 1333
DRAM Frequency        - 900MHz
DDR2 Enhance Mode     - Enabled

DRAM Timing Configuration
RCOMP - Configuration 1
tREAD - 10t
tCL   - 5
tRP   - 5
tRCD  - 5
tRAS  - 15
tWR   - 6
tRFC  - 55
tWTR  - 3
tRRD  - 3
tRTP  - 3
Write to Precharge            - 14
Read to Precharge             - 5
PrechargeAll to Act Delay     - 6
PrechargeAll -> Refresh Delay - 6
R to W Delay                  - 8
R to R Delay                  - 4
W to W Delay                  - 4
W to R Delay                  - 11
Refresh Counter               - 3120T

Clock Gen Configuration
PCIE Freq         - 100
CPU Clock Skew    - 200ps
MCH Clock Skew    - 400ps
CPU Clock Driving - 1000mV

Voltage Configuration
CPU Voltage        - +0.200 (1.52, 1.48 load)
DDR Voltage        - +0.200 (2.17)
Chipset Voltage    - +0.400 (1.448)
FSB Voltage        - +0.300 (1.48)
CPU Core 1 GTL Ref - 0.67
CPU Core 2 GTL Ref - 0.67
MCH GTL Ref        - 0.64
CPU PLL Voltage    - 1.60
Yep, the vcore is a bit high but I'm at the higher now drop later kind of voltage to just try to get things to work. For the 3.5GHz attempts the only thing changed was the multi & FSB. The CPU specs are the same as listed in my signature, except of course the processor is a Q6600 instead of the E8400 :)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old January 28, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nothing major really jumps out at me personally. Is that Q6600 a G0 stepping model?

"DDR2 Enhance Mode" - some sort of switch to ramp up the memory performance? Might be pushing one of your FSB timings too hard? Just a thought.

RCOMP - damned if I find a clear answer on what this does, but several reports suggest that it's important when it comes to memory compatibility/stability, but can take a big chunk out of your memory bandwidth on some settings. Might want to experiment a little with that?
Old January 28, 2009, 10:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Neo have you tried different RCOMP configuration, currently I am using 3 on my Q9550 and try moving the refresh counter to Auto. You aren't the only one having trouble with this chip and I'd actually work the otherway and start from the lower end, try and find at least a setting that will get you into windows.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 29, 2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old February 1, 2009, 09:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks for the suggestions guys :) I've had a busy few days with work so haven't been able to try out much but I will early this week when my new hard drive gets here and I'm done migrating some data and reorganizing everything.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old February 8, 2009, 04:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

Ok, took me a few days since I got a usenet subscription and went loco with some downloading LOL. Anyway. Enhanced mode is enabled, and RCOMP 3 seems to be magical for a Q6600 as well. Success on 3.6! WOO, glad it's not the PSU and ended up being PEBKAC ;) Thanks for the suggestions guys!
-Author Unknown