Safe I7 920 OC Without Aftermarket HSF
Just curious....I'll have all my parts for my I7 build in tomorrow....except for my True, its back-ordered and not sure when it will be in :blarg:
Anyhow...can anyone say whether or not the I7 920 can mildly OC with the Stock HSF...you know..maybe 3.2 or so, I really have no idea anmd am contemplating building and installing the True whenever it arrives later on.
Most likely, I have seen 3.8 on stock still.
With temps in the high 80's to 90's with HT enabled.
I have a TRUE with the 1366 adaptor available... :whistle: full-blown oc while crunching on all 8 cores: 72C...
Thanks Charlie....I price matched for the True 1366 Kit from NCIX..price matched to DC..$75. Now it includes everything, HS, Bolt thru Kit, Fan 120mm 1600 RPM and Thermal Grease and the Fan Mounting Bracket. NCIX did offer to "put these items together seperately as they're in Stock, but would get a lower rated Fan and no Fan Moiunting Bracket,,,,,,,,,lots of "bits n pieces", anyhow I told them don't worry about it..I'll wait, but I think I will go ahead with the Stock Fan for now and get er done!
hey bob , i see you went i7 :)
wanna get rid of your 8400? :p
let me know
A lot of the first overlock guides I read for the i7 used the stock cooler but had some pretty high temps. I'm sure if you just want to hit 3.2 you would be fine until the TRUE comes.
Do you really need the bump in performance that bad? Personally I would just wait for the cooler to arrive. It was backordered when I got mine too and it shipped within a week.
Jay....no selling.....besides, would really want this "exercised" E8400 C1...hahahah...must say though, the thing has been running for almost a year at 4.05 Ghz vCore 1.45v! Only issue is although it passes Prime 95 and OCCT, it won't pass Intel Burn Test...but otherwise everything seems stable.
I'm actually putting the 2nd Rig together with all my parts:
1. E8400 w Zalman 9700
2. nForce 780i Board
3. 2 x 2GB Mushkin XP Redlines
4. 320 GB Barracuda
5. IDE LG Optical
6. PC P&C 750W PSU
7. Raidmax Smilidon Case
Only thing I don't have for the 2nd Rig is a GPU.....still have that 8800 GTX?..hhahahahaha
Just purchased a 9800 GTX+ SC version DC for $179 after MIR...that will go in this 2nd Rig...no gaming!
EDIT: EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GTX+ Sc 756MHZ 512MB 2.24GHZ 256BIT DDR3 Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card - DirectCanada
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 AM.|