Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2009, 09:25 AM
Allstar

Lightbulb Totally New to Overclocking

Hey everyone. Please take it easy on me as I am totally new to overclocking and have never overclocked anything. I have the Q8200 and right now CPUID says my CPU Overclock is -12.05% Default Clock : 2333.0 MHz Cpu Clock: 2051.7MHz.

I'm looking to get it up to around 2.6 or higher if thats possible. Also, can anyone tell me why its currently stock and at a negative OC rating? Is there some application or bios setting I must change in order to prevent this?

I'm running whats in my sig. The ASUS P5Q Pro.

Thanks in advanced.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old January 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sigh.. Its step speed. Read this thread: WTF is going on with my 8400
Old January 15, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

hey elelement,

everyone ask this question at first, and dont take the chilly sigh badly, he is always nice with everyone. It is just that this question must have been answered hundreds of time.

look at the thread or just google : intel speedstep.

If you dont want it, go to your BIOS and disable it.

Good luck for the OC !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 15, 2009, 10:59 AM
Allstar

His reference was informative and helpful :) I think I'll just leave it be... I found how to increase my FSB speed but not my clock multiplier in the bios. I'll have to tinker around in there a bit more and find out where everything is. Not going to change much because half the stuff I have no clue what it is and dont want to ruin anything.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old January 15, 2009, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

All the non extreme Intel CPU can only change the multiplier donward. So with your Q8200 the only way you are going to OC is by changing the FSB.

At one point you will also need to raise your V-core to be stable and watch the temperature.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 15, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by element291 View Post
His reference was informative and helpful :) I think I'll just leave it be... I found how to increase my FSB speed but not my clock multiplier in the bios. I'll have to tinker around in there a bit more and find out where everything is. Not going to change much because half the stuff I have no clue what it is and dont want to ruin anything.
While we are helpful around here we do expect that you at least try to make an attempt at researching the general and simple stuff as due to many people like yourself on this site, it has probably been asked once or twice before.
Old January 30, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+ 1 enaberif
Old January 30, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But some people aren't yet sure what questions to ask. Fire away any questions you have- there's lots of people willing to help out.