Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's pointless to let it run continually or too long - just make sure heatsink is properly applied and there is no overheating or temps rising constantly without stabilizing - I know someone who torture tested his graphics card and he had bad experiences because his gfx temp instead of stabilizing in the 80's or 90's range kept going up.

I would say 6 to 8 hours first time - First test I run BEFORE the CPU and GFX is memory to make sure no defects in RAM modules, then on to the CPU.

For most people and most of the time your computer is idle and you should be using your power saving features. I have an AMD x2 5600+ with cool'n'quiet enabled and most of the time my PC is running efficinetly - you will rarely run your CPU full load for a long period of time unless you are one of those who are folding - but for a casual gamer you are not going to stress your system more than a few hours at a time ok I can see some of you say "no way dude, I play my hardcore games 12-16 hours a day" :D

All my life, and all 50 previous updates/upgrades I have always run 1-2 pass memory check and 3 to 6 hours stress tests.....never had any issues - at any rate even if you do not run prime or other stress tests, you WILL find out eventually, there is a problem - if there is problem with RAM your system will be usntable - corrupted textures in games, corrupted files ony our HDD, corrupted registry, crashing in games, etc.
Old August 9, 2009, 07:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

So IIIN CONCLUSION! :P Am i good to go? it had been 11 hours and 30 mins of small ftt before my system froze and I had to hard restart. Is this fine for a 24/7 clock for a casual to hardcore gamer who MAY fold overnight and game in the day in the future???

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
G.Skill pc2 8500 1066mhz RAM
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital 500gb and Seagate 500gb in RAID 0
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
OCZ Vendetta 2 LGA 775 CPU cooler with bolt thru kit
XFX HD5970
Steelseries 7G Mechanical Keyboard
Samsung 305T 30 Inch 2560x1600 LCD monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers, Sennheiser HD215's, G35's
Steelseries Xai Laser Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old August 9, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

hmmm - I am wondering under what circomstances did your system freeze, and whether it relates to that test or not - did you measure the temps during the test and at the time it froze ? what was your motherboard and cpu temp ?

Did you check your RAM (memtest86) at all ?

Actually whether you are good to go or not, keep in mind failure can happen anytime - My computer has been running full load heavy torture for way longer than 12 hours heavy rendering with all cores at 100%, graphic card at 100%, memory fully stressed along with HDDs - no crash - assuming your CPU, RAM, motherboard, PSU are in good shape there is no reason to worry - try playing some games, running benchmarks, etc, and you will find out eventually if your system is unstable and locate the source of the problem and whether it is heat related or not...
Old August 9, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayan288
So IIIN CONCLUSION! :P Am i good to go? it had been 11 hours and 30 mins of small ftt before my system froze and I had to hard restart. Is this fine for a 24/7 clock for a casual to hardcore gamer who MAY fold overnight and game in the day in the future???
If you hadn't said "folding", I probably would have given you a ~90% okay. But folding is notorious for crashing computers that are 99% stable. And a crash after 12hrs on Prime isn't 99% at all. You're welcome to try folding, but I think it'll have other ideas.
Old August 9, 2009, 09:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

my cpu temps never go above 61C and i havent tried memtest86 but my system is completely stable when it is at stock (2.8ghz) but I am willing to try memtest. I am positive my unstableness is NOT heat related for I get pretty good temps. I can play games fine but Im jsut wondering...If I keep my computer liek this will it liek cut the "life expectancy or somthing...?" I expect to have this comp around for about 5 years. (not to use it as my main system for 5 years, but to have it around)

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
G.Skill pc2 8500 1066mhz RAM
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital 500gb and Seagate 500gb in RAID 0
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
OCZ Vendetta 2 LGA 775 CPU cooler with bolt thru kit
XFX HD5970
Steelseries 7G Mechanical Keyboard
Samsung 305T 30 Inch 2560x1600 LCD monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers, Sennheiser HD215's, G35's
Steelseries Xai Laser Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old August 9, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

All OC'ers have their own method...I personally don't have the patience to initially test an OC with P95 for even 6 hrs, so:
1. Run Vantage to see if I can get through it and get a "score"...if success...
2. Run LinX Max Memory 64 Bit 25 passes....if success.....
3. Run P95 Small FFT 6 hrs....if success...
4. Run P95 Blend overnight, up to 12 hrs.....if success....

Solid!

LinX will find instability relatively quickly....so you can go back and tweak some more..

Old August 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
LinX will find instability relatively quickly....so you can go back and tweak some more..
Its also not the most reliable.

Its been known to fail on stock clocks ;)
Old August 9, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Its also not the most reliable.

Its been known to fail on stock clocks ;)
Sh_d....you had to throw that in their didn't ya...

Old August 10, 2009, 08:02 PM
Rookie

I have found that Linpack (LinX, intelburntest, etc) have found all my 24hrs Prime 95 small fft "stable" overclocks to be unstable
Old August 10, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I have found that Linpack (LinX, intelburntest, etc) have found all my 24hrs Prime 95 small fft "stable" overclocks to be unstable
If all your going to run is P95 be sure to run both Small FFT and Blend (for Memory)...LinX is probably hitting instability with your Memory which small FFT didn't detect.