Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Can i push this further on air than it already is? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/13432-can-i-push-further-air-than-already.html)

BrianHanna January 1, 2009 11:45 PM

Can i push this further on air than it already is?

i keep hearing that the e8400 should never go above 73 or something along those lines.

Most post which i read people say that there e8400 runs at 40 or so at idle, but mine runs at 22/21 on idle and hits 42/39 on load.

Do i have a magical e8400 or are my temps just wrong?

in the case that they are right (which i have no reason to believe otherwise), do you think i should try to push it further?

if so, any opinions as to how far i should be able to push it?

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...nna/tempsz.jpg

enaberif January 1, 2009 11:49 PM

Depends on your ambient temps.

BrianHanna January 1, 2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 133563)
Depends on your ambient temps.

wish i had a thermometer >.<

BrianHanna January 2, 2009 05:03 AM

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...anna/43ghz.jpg

got it to 4.3

seems stable so far.

sswilson January 2, 2009 05:06 AM

I'm a bit surprised that the Zalman is working as well as it is, but see no reason to question your temps at the voltage you've got set.

Looks like you got a great chip!!! Congrats! :)

BrianHanna January 2, 2009 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 133580)
I'm a bit surprised that the Zalman is working as well as it is, but see no reason to question your temps at the voltage you've got set.

Looks like you got a great chip!!! Congrats! :)

i cant seem to get it to 4.5, i dont wanna try my luck too hard though, i increased vcore twice to try get it to run at 500 fsb, but it wouldnt go.

i figure it might have to do with my RAM

but i have pc2-8500 ram, which means it should be able to handle a cpu fsb of at most 533 right?

other than that, what would be preventing it from even booting at a fsb at 500?

im happy with what it is at now, and dont want to kill it for 200more Mhz but im just curious to see what would be causing the prob.

sswilson January 2, 2009 05:33 AM

Not very motherboard / CPU combination will do 500 FSB, and even those that do sometimes take a fair bit of tweaking to get them there. As far as the ram goes.... my experience is that it's the 1:1 which causes the problems more often than not. I've had several boards that wouldn't do high(er) FSB 1:1 even though the memory had no problems running at that speed with a different ratio.

You can try bumping the northbridge volts up a bit to see if that helps, but don't beat yourself up too much. That's a great OC you've got going already with the kind of voltage you're using.

And yeah.... usually that last 200Mhz takes a disproportionate amount of voltage. Once you get up to those kinds of OCs you start to hit a wall and your Vcore vrs clockspeed ratio is no longer linear.

BrianHanna January 2, 2009 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 133586)
Not very motherboard / CPU combination will do 500 FSB, and even those that do sometimes take a fair bit of tweaking to get them there. As far as the ram goes.... my experience is that it's the 1:1 which causes the problems more often than not. I've had several boards that wouldn't do high(er) FSB 1:1 even though the memory had no problems running at that speed with a different ratio.

You can try bumping the northbridge volts up a bit to see if that helps, but don't beat yourself up too much. That's a great OC you've got going already with the kind of voltage you're using.

And yeah.... usually that last 200Mhz takes a disportionate amount of voltage. Once you get up to those kinds of OCs you start to hit a wall and your Vcore vrs clockspeed ratio is no longer linear.

to tell the truth im quite happy with whats it's at now, and if there is any sign of problems, i'd be just fine lowering it back to 4ghz, as there is no real need for more than that anyways.

punk_zappa January 2, 2009 10:46 AM

Looking at your other post, are you trying to OC with all 4 Gb or RAM? Try with just 1 stick as OC'ing all 4 doesn't give max results. And follow wilson's suggestion of raising NB and FSB voltage.

Alfa_R January 3, 2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_zappa (Post 133721)
Looking at your other post, are you trying to OC with all 4 Gb or RAM? Try with just 1 stick as OC'ing all 4 doesn't give max results. And follow wilson's suggestion of raising NB and FSB voltage.

I have 8500 oc at 4009 mhz fsb 422. 1.3 (little under that at load cpuz) but if i try stock value of nb/sb/ram (everything 0,1v up) i get hard reset under orthos within 1 hour. So, some mbo just ask for litle more juice. Afther that i hit 24h full load w/o problem. Also i get 51 max with ninja 2 1000 rpm.

I didnt bother with lowering voltage to optimal (cpu) because i plan to go higher...

Anyway, do you guys get a error on oc in prime/orthos, or hard reset (no freeze, just black screen and pre bios boot) usualy if cpu need more juice?