Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Q9400 +Gigabyte X48 DS4

Alright, I've got my new build up and I'm currently trying to overclock my Q9400. I'm looking at getting to somewhere around 3.5-3.6GHz, but I'm not very knowledgeable in the overclocking field. The Gigabyte BIOS doesn't help me much either. I'm not looking for anything extreme, and if getting to 3.5 is gonna be extreme in terms of voltages, let me know.
I was hoping someone would be able to help with settings for me, such as FSB and volts I'd need to get there.
As of currently, I'm at 3.36GHz stable @ 6 hours of Prime95 Small FFT tests. Mem test also ran for 6 or 7 hours as I slept and there's no errors there. As for settings, this is what I have now:
420FSB @ 1.25V
RAM is running at auto , which comes out to a 5:6 ratio @ 1008MHz according to CPU-z. Voltage is set to 2.1.
I haven't touched any of the other voltages as of yet and I have a feeling I'll need to in order for me to get to 3.5GHz or a bit higher. My cooling is adequate, I've got the 2 230MM fans in the HAF and the 140MM (One isn't connected because it's missing a fin, waiting for Cooler Master to reply to my email) and my heatsink is about equal to a TRUE120 or Vendetta 2 in it's performance according to b1lk1's review on his site, since it was never really released to the public. The only thing is that I'm not sure which program to use for monitoring temps because the Gigabyte Easy Tune5 is telling me about 40C during Prime, but HWMonitor is saying around 50C. No idea which is right.
Any help is appeciated because I am a noob to this stuff.:help:
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 28, 2008, 07:51 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

420Mhz is very good on any Quad, and 450 is pushing it. You'll need a ton of Vcore, and good cooling / high voltage on the NB. I managed 486Mhz stable on my Q9450.

Oc'ing with a Quad is not as easy as a Dual core...
Old December 29, 2008, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, doesn't look like I'll be able to get much higher if what you say is true Charlie. But on the topic of hardware monitoring, which program(s) would be best suited for me, since I'm getting different temp readouts and I don't know which is right.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 29, 2008, 05:37 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Stick to Real Temp.