Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Assistance overclocking on a DFI LP DK T2RS (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/12959-assistance-overclocking-dfi-lp-dk-t2rs.html)

Wall86 December 16, 2008 07:17 PM

Assistance overclocking on a DFI LP DK T2RS

Okay, so I am not an utter noob with overclocking, and have been overclocking for ~2 years. It seems I have met my match with this board though, I am not too sure if it is just a bad board, or if I am missing something.

The board: DFI LP DK P45 T2RS
The CPU: E2160
RAM: 2x2GB Mushkin Ascent PC2-8000
Cooling: Triple Swiftech Rad, Swiftech MCP-655, Swiftech Apogee GTX.

It seems that I can not get it stable over 260 FSB. No matter the voltages or tweaking of settings. This CPU Has hit 3.2 Ghz fully stable on a P35 DS3L. The biggest issue I am having is that the computer will freeze during post, which means that I have too reset the BIOS Every single failed try, this happens a lot and I have all but given up. I have increased NB, SB, CPU, and every other voltage individually and none of them will increase stability, RAM is set too auto, and I have never pushed it higher then 900 Mhz.

Any ideas?

probationer December 17, 2008 10:55 AM

i'm using the X48 model the main voltages i've had to bump are VTT and NB both enabled me to run the vcore much lower than i anticipated.

Not sure if they relate well to the P45 model but i was using 1.43 VTT , 1.51 PLL and 1.40 NB for 450FSB.

punk_zappa December 18, 2008 12:28 PM

Try to play with 333/667 or 400/800 memory settings ONLY. Also, try to use just 1 stick of RAM.

Wall86 December 19, 2008 09:03 PM

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1...uter369ah2.jpg

Here are my results, turns out that this Ascent kit does not like anything over 830 Mhz so I turned it down too 820. 3.69 Ghz is a pretty decent OC Considering this chips stock is 1.8 Ghz. I am using an E2200 at work that I am thinking of swapping out too see if I can get one of these super cheap 65 Nm chips too 4.0 Ghz, or I might break down and grab an E7200 and see if it will do 4.5, not too sure yet.

Thanks for the replies, I thought this board was faulty for a little while there :clap:

EDITTT!!!!!!!!!!!!: I just started Orthos up too get a "decent" load temop, this was Orthos'ed for 11 hours while I was at work today. I stopped Orthos before I took a screenie when I got home from work too run 3Dmark06 (Scored 14,100 w/o any GPU OC'ing)

-n7- December 19, 2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wall86 (Post 129141)

Here are my results, turns out that this Ascent kit does not like anything over 830 Mhz so I turned it down too 820...

...Thanks for the replies, I thought this board was faulty for a little while there :clap:

No way.
Either you have defective Mushkin (highly unlikely), or you have a DFI board that's being retarded (far more likely), as there's no way that RAM cannot do its rated speed.

Likely something to do with straps being funny, or some hidden subtimings magically breaking things...this is precisely why i don't run a DFI board anymore.

I'd post on Mushkin's forums, & Greg will set you up with timings for your RAM, as honestly, something is broken if the RAM cannot do its rated speed, & knowing how much of a PITA DFIs are, it's likely that.

Wall86 December 19, 2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -n7- (Post 129144)
No way.
Either you have defective Mushkin (highly unlikely), or you have a DFI board that's being retarded (far more likely), as there's no way that RAM cannot do its rated speed.

Likely something to do with straps being funny, or some hidden subtimings magically breaking things...this is precisely why i don't run a DFI board anymore.

I'd post on Mushkin's forums, & Greg will set you up with timings for your RAM, as honestly, something is broken if the RAM cannot do its rated speed, & knowing how much of a PITA DFIs are, it's likely that.

Unfortunately Greg quit his job with Mushkin, or else I would have just bothered him on Steam for some timings.

I have been putting off posting on the mushkin forums, I may just do that this weekend. Maybe one of their other reps are as helpful.

punk_zappa December 20, 2008 05:10 PM

I second n7's comment, probably something with the board that's why the RAMs will not reach it's rated speed.

I played with the P45-JR and when I have it with BALLISTIX 1066 I have to change the RAM setting (333/667 to 400/800 or vise-versa) after default, 400fsb and I believe I did too at 450 and 550fsb, I just can't remember exactly. The board also have a fsb hole (e8400) at 410 to 449(?)fsb which I don't have with the Biostar board I am using right now. So my suggestion is to play with the memory settings and you might have to change the GTL setting to 0.63 or .61 and also the Skews. So many BIOS options.

Nonetheless, that is a very good 100% OC result.