Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2008, 06:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Probably the Wrong board to try on...but

Has anyone OC'd on a DG35EC (Intel Board) with an E4700 (@ 2.6) before?
I know the damn thing is has speed-step on it which clocks down the processor. That is one of the first things I'd like to get rid of on it, and beyond that I'd like to push the Processor to the 3-3.16 Ghz range. I figure I'd use my older E4700 before I started messing around with the E8400 sitting in my Apollo ATM.

The cooler on board can handle the clock, I just need a step in the right direction for this board, if its at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 9, 2008, 09:28 PM
Top Prospect

1.Find a DG35EC
2.Decide to overclock on it
3.Put paper, some small flammible items, and kindling near CPU
4. ????
5. PROFIT!!
Old December 10, 2008, 05:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm Taking that as a No then?
LOL

Fair enough, I guess I'm upgrading to the p45 Chipset on the DP45SG Instead.
Would that suffice for OC'ing Territory?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 10, 2008, 06:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why are you using Intel motherboards? Intel motherboards are mainly the reason why you can't overclock in the first place. No point in wasting money to get another Intel motherboard.

If you want OC capabilities, read review from hardware sites such as here (Hardware Canucks), AnandTech, Legit Reviews, etc etc.

As for which motherboard, it depends on how much you're willing to spend. If you want to keep it around $100, a P43 motherboard should be more than enough to push your E4700 to your desired speed. The Gigabyte EP43-DS3L (can't remember exactly the model) should suffice.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Dammit, I responded to this and IE ate my response. So here is attempt #2 lol!

I like Intel Boards because they have never given me an issue throughout the years I have been using them. As well my Father Gets a really good deal on Intel boards so its very tempting to stick with them after all these years.

I would imagine the p45 Series boards being their Extreme Edition would have some capabilities to be OC'd but I could be mistaken.
I will take what you said and do some research on other Manufacturers to see if I can find something I like.
Thank you for your time,

Best Regards,
ST

Old December 10, 2008, 08:22 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Dammit, I responded to this and IE ate my response. So here is attempt #2 lol!

I like Intel Boards because they have never given me an issue throughout the years I have been using them. As well my Father Gets a really good deal on Intel boards so its very tempting to stick with them after all these years.

I would imagine the p45 Series boards being their Extreme Edition would have some capabilities to be OC'd but I could be mistaken.
I will take what you said and do some research on other Manufacturers to see if I can find something I like.
Thank you for your time,

Best Regards,
ST
I believe a few reviews were done on the so-called Overclocking subset of Intel boards and they still failed miserably...
ie. [H] Enthusiast - Intel DX48BT2 Motherboard