Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Talking Eagle's Eye Intel Overclocking results

So far so good lots of reading and research involved in getting it here this bios was a little intimidating at first and still is, although I am little frustrated even with my lack of experience I wish this bios had finer settings especially with the voltages. I think I am at the point now to get this chip any higher and completely stable on this board its gonna require some very fine tweaking or faster memory.

I have attempted to get this chip higher, I tried 500x9 at 1.45v it will post and boot into windows no problem its only as soon as I hit GO!! on orthos it crashes almost instantly. I also think if I want to acheive this I will need to put this thing under water and it will require more vCore. Temps are great @ 1.4v no higher than 59oC-62oC at most, we'll see with time just how stable these settings are, although I am estatic with the current speed and by far this system just smashes my old AMD system to pieces.

Thanks for taking a look and if you can offer me any more advice, helpful hints its greatly appreciated.

NOTE* Orthos and T-Power 2 software is reporting incorrect cpu speed of 4505Mhz, likely due to the 8.5 multi. The correct speed is 4.25Ghz respectively as reported by CPUz.

I think this calls for a little
Attached Images

Last edited by Eagle Eye; November 22, 2008 at 04:03 AM.
Old November 22, 2008, 01:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Your CPU-Z is showing Multi of 8x which means something isn't right as the 8400 is 9x
Old November 22, 2008, 02:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Your CPU-Z is showing Multi of 8x which means something isn't right as the 8400 is 9x
While your correct that the e8400 has *stock max* multiplier of 9, hes currently running on a Multi of 8.5 on an FSB of 500, hench, 8.5x500 = 4250MHz. He also notes how he was unable to get stable at 9x500(which would of been 4500MHz), so he turned down the multiplier .5 of a step to get stable. You do know you can turn a multiplier down right?
Old November 22, 2008, 02:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

I know you can turn it down :P 4.5 out of a 8400 is a bit of a stretch.
Old November 22, 2008, 02:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just thought maybe just maybe the EO stepping would give me an advantage, guess not.

So far 1hr 43min no errors in orthos, sweet!!

EE
Old November 22, 2008, 02:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
I just thought maybe just maybe the EO stepping would give me an advantage, guess not.

So far 1hr 43min no errors in orthos, sweet!!

EE
I've said it before steppings may or may not make any difference. People read into the hype that a new stepping could be a great thing but its not always.

Your 8400 I'd aim for 4.3 or 4.4 with a 9x multi.
Old November 22, 2008, 02:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd think 4.25Ghz is a pretty impressive clock and the extra 75 or 175mhz will have little impact on performance.

I hope to break out my Q9550 soon it won't clock near as well as this but should put up some impressive results.

I probably pick up some higher clocked ram and see if I can't hit a 600+ FSB and live up to whats being advertised on the box it comes in.
Old November 22, 2008, 02:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I've said it before steppings may or may not make any difference. People read into the hype that a new stepping could be a great thing but its not always.

Your 8400 I'd aim for 4.3 or 4.4 with a 9x multi.
Well the e8400 I picked up from TD for my "Spare Parts PC" is an E0. When I get a chance to put it together I hope I can get some decent clocks using the stock heatsink I scrounged from my q6600. Seriously thou the stock heatsink that came with the e8400 is puny! no way I'm using that! Hopefully I can put the it togther and throw up a worklog tomorrow.

Sorry about the Eagle Eye, as a consolation, I'm gonna see if I can atleast match your clocks on my e8400 when I get it running on my q6600 stock heatsink . we should do an OC battle! A real heatsink vs my semi stock! 4.25GHz is VERY respectable OC, your running the ram at its stock speeds at a 1:1 ratio!!!
Old November 22, 2008, 02:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

i had my 8400 @ 3.8ghz on stock cooler.. I even pushed and had it at 3.9ghz but temps were over 70 :P
Old November 22, 2008, 03:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

70oC thats a little toasty, any sign of instability at those temps?

Doh it looks like that darn 8.5 multiplier is going to report wrong cpu values, so far in orthos, 3D Mark even the T Power 2 Software from Biostar. GPUz reports the correct information nothing to worry about I guess.