Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

View Poll Results: Would it be a good idea to add benchmark threads to post our overclocks and scores?
Yes i think it is a good idea 19 82.61%
I am not sure 4 17.39%
No it is not a good idea 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2008, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

Default Adding benchmarks subforum

As i see more and more overclockers on HWC, i think it would be a good idea to add some benchmark threads (like; superpi, 3dmark...), post scores and play againts other members. it would also be fun to compare overclocks.

what do you guys think?
Old November 20, 2008, 02:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not a bad idea, but might be better to hold off until we see the full effects of the forum upgrade. There are several new features which might work quite well for this kind of thing outside of the current format.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 20, 2008, 02:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Not a bad idea, but might be better to hold off until we see the full effects of the forum upgrade. There are several new features which might work quite well for this kind of thing outside of the current format.
oh i didnt know that there was an update planned

Poll is still open tho!
Old November 21, 2008, 01:53 AM
Top Prospect

Come on i need votes here!
Old November 21, 2008, 02:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

To quote the poll, I'm not too sure. I've managed/been on a lot of forums in my day, and usually one of the biggest issues I saw was having too many categories/subforums. What always ended up happening was that only a few subforums were ever active and the rest were pretty much dead. Even on large sites such as the [H] there are plenty almost unused portions of the fourm. Not to poke holes in your idea Finch but I feel that *for now*, any "benchmark" threads/questions/achievements, etc could fit in pre-existing categories.

That being said I've never used/managed a VB forum so I do not know what features and mods are avilable for it, perhaps there's something out there that can allow us to post stats, benchmarks and etc (almost like out own built in hwbot). Maybe its feasible, maybe its not, perosnally I'm undecided in this either way.
Old November 21, 2008, 03:27 AM
Top Prospect

well it could be subforums in the overclocking category or it could be sticky threads in overclocking category(not subforums). you add 4-5 popular benchmarks. IMO it is not that big of a deal

all my repects, Chilly
Old November 21, 2008, 04:10 AM
Top Prospect

BTW, i also noticed that in the overclocking section there is a thread called 3dmark06 benchmark (sorry cant post link because i am at work and ie is blocked) and it is often visited and ppl still post in it. it has like 100+ pages... sorry to say but THIS takes alot of space, it has compilations of scores from 2000 to 2008.

if you put a real 3dmark06 benchmark sticky thread that would be often updated by the mods (heck i wouldnt mind to be the one responsible of updating it) then all scores would be up to date and not 8 years old. ppl would post their scores with screenshots and on the first post of the thread their would be the ranking (wich would be updated daily). then a matenance could be down to delete old posts. keep the threads as clear as possible and make sure to update rankings when members post new scores.
Old November 21, 2008, 05:48 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You have my vote. It counts for 50 real votes. ;)
Old November 21, 2008, 05:54 AM
MVP

I don't think it's needed. We have the overclocking forum for that so just make threads there ;)

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 21, 2008, 06:04 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
I don't think it's needed. We have the overclocking forum for that so just make threads there ;)
yea but your way it would not be official and the thread would be eventually lost amoung all threads and become useless that way.

being in subforums or stickied would be always on top and it would be easy that way to search for ppl's overclocks.

there is a ''e1xxx / e2xxx OC thread'' sticky why not do it for my idea aswell?

Quote:
You have my vote. It counts for 50 real votes. ;)
thx skymtl it is very appreciated