Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2006, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default We're movin' on up!

Here I am.. that's right...strutting my stuff over here in the O-V-E-R-C-L-O-C-K-I-N-G section. That's right, I am now an extreme overclocker (we all know extreme is a relative term). The eagle has landed!! Actually it's less like an eagle and more like the monolith from 2001. This p180 case is huge.

I haven't tried to use the floppy yet-- I think it was originally in an old 486 dx 4-100 that i used to have-- very sketchy, so I'm working with the original bios and it's working like a charm for me so far so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I should have waited to update the bios but I couldn't, so I went ahead with the oc anyway. Here is what I have it set to, and the results. The orthos download isn't working for me so I don't have a good stress teast right now, but I'll try to get it again tommorrow. Right now, I am just running the 3d mark 06 and seeing if it crashes, then trying some demanding 3d games on high settings to see how they run.

Here's my settings:

CPU voltage: 1.34
FSB voltage: 1.4
Mem voltage (within warrantied voltage for mine): 2.1
SPP voltage: 1.5

(I plan on trying to bring these voltages down a little more if I can)

FSB: 1600 (3.2 Ghz)
My temperatures at idle are:

CPU 42 C
Board 42 C
MCP 54 C

The only thing I worry about is that core temp tells me that the T intersection?? is at 85 C . that temp seems to be the same no matter what i do. Is that bad?
I am not sure what my high temps are for cpu etc. but I have taken them right after finishing running 3D mark a couple of times,and they aren't much higher if at all, but I'm not sure if that's ok or not.

my memory is still at 2T, 800mhz. I'll wait until I get a better idea of what my temperatures are under stess before I try to tweak the ram.

Also-- as I said, I ran the 3D mark and got a score of 8863, SM2=3738, HDR=3718, CPU=2774.

Again, I'm not sure what how these results stack up, so if anyone could have a read and comment, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

oh-- here's my system specs again,
evga 680i
8800 gts
ocz gold 6400, 5-5-5-15
ocz GameXStream 700W
Antec 180p case
Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro7
Old December 16, 2006, 03:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The 3dmark03 is my favorite quick test. The first couple of tests in that group usually black screen right off of the bat if there's a problem.

Good luck and have fun!!!! :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 16, 2006, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks -- I now have my memory up to 850 MHz, and still apparently stable, but when I run 3dmark06, I score slightly lower - 8843 instead of 8863. Not sure why this is but perhaps I should slow the memory down again. Also, for some reason while my memory says 850 in the bios, it only says 800 in CPUZ-- anyone know why?

edit:; it says 800 in the nvidea system monitor, not in cpuz

Last edited by Babrbarossa; December 16, 2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old December 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Clock speed isn't absolutely everything, it still needs to be stable.

If your scores are lower at a higher clockspeed it could be that instability is causing you to miss a clock or two.

For quick mem checks I use the average of 3 1M superpi tests to decide if the adjustment is improving my performance.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 16, 2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
The orthos download isn't working for me so I don't have a good stress teast right now, but I'll try to get it again tommorrow.
Should be working now. Follow this link to our Troubleshooting Essentials and click on the Orthos Download.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/showthread.php?t=21
Old December 16, 2006, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks again, got it and got it. Also got Prime 95 and it runs stable with my memory back at 800. I can't wait to get a modem in the new rig next week, so I don't have to keep swapping the monitor to get online (I'm in the boonies so no high speed).

Another question that someone might know the answer to : I had the pc assembled at ncix in case there were compatibility issues with the parts and to get the year warranty from them. Do you think they would have used thermal paste when installing the freezer pro7, or should I redo it?
Old December 16, 2006, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would reseat it with some AS5 myself but then again I dont go for that white goop that comes stock, if you are going to redo it then you might as well do the chipset and videocard too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 17, 2006, 12:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think i will just in case, but I have to get my hands on some compound first-- hoping i wont have to order a tube and pay $10 shipping.

Did I read somewhere that you couldn't use that arctic silver stuff on the chipset? because of it being electrically conductive? As for the GPU, I didn't even know that you could lap them (is the term lap?:rolleyes:) I'll do some googling to find out how.
Old December 17, 2006, 12:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I think i will just in case, but I have to get my hands on some compound first-- hoping i wont have to order a tube and pay $10 shipping.

Did I read somewhere that you couldn't use that arctic silver stuff on the chipset? because of it being electrically conductive? As for the GPU, I didn't even know that you could lap them (is the term lap?:rolleyes:) I'll do some googling to find out how.
There must be a basement retailer up your way somewhere.... ordering low value items on-line is a killer when you pay the shipping.

Old December 17, 2006, 02:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I have used it many times on chipsets and videocards you just have to be very careful how much you put on if you don't have much exp using as5 then go Ceramique. The thing is if the as5 "bleeds" out from the chipset then yeah it is conductive and something could go very bad.
Lapping a heatsink whether its for a cpu, gpu or a chipset is still the same principle, it's got to be ultra-smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton