Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2008, 05:41 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Do you link your FSB:RAM? What's your ratio?

From overclocking guides, I've read that to keep the stability/performance ratio at the highest a 1:1 ratio would be the best.

Do any of you link your overclocking? If so what ratio has been the best for you?

For me, I'm running a Q6600 which has a stock QDR of 1066. As for Ram, Ive got Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000's. A 1:1 ratio at stock would make me use my ram at almost 50% its capability..

At 3.2, on a 9x Multiplier, FSB is at 356, QDR 1422 which would leave my Ram mHZ by about ~700 at a 1:1 ratio.
Is it unsafe to run ram higher than the FSB ratio? For example, keeping the FSB at 356, and running the ram at stock timings 1000mhz?

Or do i have the whole overclocking concept wrong...
Old November 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What mobo are you using?

And you can leave your ram underclocked and try tightening the timings, or go ahead and bump up the fsb:mem ratio. Just try some superpi or everest benchmarks before and after.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

I always aim for a 1:1 ration.

You'll see very little difference unless you push your entire system beyond breaking points in running anything else.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it really varies from system to system; I'm sure we could argue it all day; I've found I personally get better performance on this system if I'm unlinked - although a previous system I ran linked/synch.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:48 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
What mobo are you using?

And you can leave your ram underclocked and try tightening the timings, or go ahead and bump up the fsb:mem ratio. Just try some superpi or everest benchmarks before and after.
evga 750i ftw!
Old November 16, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I run unlinked so that I can get the most out of my Mushkins....I have ran some Benches both linked n synched as well as unlinked. I run FSB 450 Mhz (QDR 1800 Mhz), found slightly (vert slight) faster speeds running my Mushkins @ 1 Ghz unlinked instead of 1:1 @ 900 Mhz....
You just need to play around and note some numbers running Bemches to find what is right for you..
I know the BIOS of the 780 / 790 Ultra / FTW allows to set vDroop, can you do that as well with that 750i FTW?

Old November 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Frankly your not gonna notice a diffrence in anything but benchmarks. That being that though, I run unlinked to get the most outta my sticks. I run my FSB at 400x8 for 24/7 clocks on my q6600 and my ram at 533(1066), or in otherwords with an unlinked 3:4 ratio.