Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2007, 11:01 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriote View Post
I do the same when im stressing with Orthos. I leave the comp alone and just check temps from time to time.

Actually i don't know how you calculate this and don't know why your doing this calculation. Another formula for what
Rather than just guessing the FSB there are formulas to use to figure out the actual Ghz speed. As in my example, if you want your cpu to run at 4.0 Ghz just do the math, 4000/9 = 444.4 X 4 = 1777. When you put that number into the bios when you boot up and open CPUZ or what ever program to see the speed it'll show 4.0 Ghz. To get the ram at 1:1 just take the 444.4 and double it, put that number in the ram setting and voila it's done. Was just wondering if there was another formula to figure out the FSB at a X6 mulitplier.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bognostraglum View Post
Rather than just guessing the FSB there are formulas to use to figure out the actual Ghz speed. As in my example, if you want your cpu to run at 4.0 Ghz just do the math, 4000/9 = 444.4 X 4 = 1777. When you put that number into the bios when you boot up and open CPUZ or what ever program to see the speed it'll show 4.0 Ghz. To get the ram at 1:1 just take the 444.4 and double it, put that number in the ram setting and voila it's done. Was just wondering if there was another formula to figure out the FSB at a X6 mulitplier.
Actually, to know what settings i need to set in bios to get my CPU to run a 4Ghz (For example) I just use a calculator and try various numbers. For example i know that 400x9 = 3.6Ghz so ill try something around 450 x 9 until i reach 4Ghz on my calculator. Then, i know what FSB and CPU multi i need to set in bios to reach 4Ghz. As for ram, i just set the FSB i want in bios and it automatically update the RAM dividers... The one in the middle is the 1:1 divider... Kinda lame but is quite easy method!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old May 2, 2007, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Arrgh! I've burned six CDs now- I've tried burning boot cds of .bin and .iso files, and I've tried just copying the two types of file to cd- the only time I can get anything to happen at all is when I hit alt+f2 when booting- then I end up with a a:\ prompt and nothing happens after that- sorry for being suck a noob.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Arrgh! I've burned six CDs now- I've tried burning boot cds of .bin and .iso files, and I've tried just copying the two types of file to cd- the only time I can get anything to happen at all is when I hit alt+f2 when booting- then I end up with a a:\ prompt and nothing happens after that- sorry for being suck a noob.
LOL! Babr... Babr... What program do you sue to burn Cds ? If Nero, there is a special function that says "Burn Image To Disc" :

Click on it and browse to the Memtest86+.iso file :

And follow the steps i written above. That should do it!

EDIT:

Ok, so you have the .bin file on your desktop.
Use Nero and burn the .bin file using the option "Burn Image To Disc" in Nero. Browse for the Memtest86.iso file and burn it.
When done, reboot, insert the CD into your CD\DVD Rom drive while it's rebooting and go into Bios.
Then go in the boot section of the bios and set your comp to boot from your CD\DVD Rom Drive first.
Save the change in bios and it'll reboot automatically.
Once it has rebooted, actually before it starts to load Windows, You should see something like "Press any key to boot from CD..." Press any key and Memtest should start. You'll see a blue screen with options you can select with arrows and numbers on your keyboard.

Choose default tests and re-start the test\stress!

EDIT: Actually, you might need to push a button when you have rebooted to boot from CD... You know when it says "Push any bottuns to boot from CD....."

If that still doesn't work, give me your address and ill send you a bloody copy of my Memtest86 LOL!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14

Last edited by Patriote; May 2, 2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old May 2, 2007, 07:13 PM
Top Prospect

This is slightly off topic... I think.. lol...

Been tweeking the system for most of the day and getting very...very frustrated by the whole process... lol.. Thank goodness for the ability to boot the bios off of the support CD. Sure makes things a whole lot easier.

Managed to get to 3.199 Mhz by setting the cVolt to 1.46 and relaxing the timings on the ram to 5-5-5-15 T2 @ stock 667 the ratio is 16:15, it boots to windows just fine.

Running Orthos using Blend as this is being typed and according to Core temp the cores are going from 43C to around the 53C mark, depending on which test is working, and these temps aren't all that hot according to a lot of other sites. Here's hoping this setting works.

What is on my mind is, it's fine and dandy to OC to these settings but using it 24/7 in the real world conditions of gaming, listening to music, watching videos and so forth, is what this is all about for me. By using these benchmarking programs all that's being accomplished is to test the system for stability over a set time period.
Lets face it, in the real world, how often are the cores going to be running at 100%. So how long is long enough running these benchmarks in a practical sense? Really not going for high scores here... LOL.. just want a faster system that's pretty much stable in the real world.
Old May 2, 2007, 07:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Well to answer your question, there is stable and stable enough. If you want to know it is 100% stable then you need to run stress programs on it for days. I used to do 24 hour orthos, 12 hour 3dmark01 looping, 12 hour memtest, etc. Also even if the system is stressed very seldom in day to day use, mem errors can lead to data corruption, program crashes, etc even when you are doing nothing.
Old May 2, 2007, 09:46 PM
Top Prospect

That makes sense. For things to be truly stable then stress programs need to be able to run 24/7 with no errors or crashes. This would be good for Folding now wouldn't it.. LOL. which may happen with this machine when it's not being used for other things.

We'll see if this setting sticks first. Not sure it will, but you never know. The ram isn't fast enough to run 1:1 it's only 667. Should have gone with this http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Z%20Technology
when this system was built, ah well, live and learn. It'll just have to run divided, no biggie.

Now for the fun stuff... Orthos has been running for 2 hrs 26 mins as the test was progressing core1 is completing tasks faster than core2.
That is until other things were done.. as in playing online games surfing the web, now core2 has pretty much caught up core1.

Must be that core1 is used primarily and core2 is only used when needed to pick up the slack. Unless there's another explanation. Time warp? LOL!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orthos has now run for 12hrs 15min. :) This is a good thing. Now the next step is to try and speed up the ram and get the ratios a little better. Thinking the best course of action would be to torture test the ram in Memtest until it fails. When a speed is found that's stable does the northbridge need a voltage boost as well?

Last edited by Bognostraglum; May 3, 2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: update
Old May 3, 2007, 07:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bognostraglum View Post
Now for the fun stuff... Orthos has been running for 2 hrs 26 mins as the test was progressing core1 is completing tasks faster than core2.
That is until other things were done.. as in playing online games surfing the web, now core2 has pretty much caught up core1.

Must be that core1 is used primarily and core2 is only used when needed to pick up the slack. Unless there's another explanation. Time warp? LOL!!
Hm, first off I'd recommend http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=G.SKILL
As your RAM, were you to upgrade :p

And yes, core0 generally does complete workunits faster for many other reasons, the simplest being that windows processes are handled via Core1, as Core0 is pegged at 100% with a process of equal priority. There are also other reasons too, such preferential treatment of Core0 accessing the NB and RAM, but those effects are very tiny anyways.

Orthos works like FAH, it'll do whatever it can with the processor time it's given... Windows, however, sees that core0 is pegged at 100%, and defaults to running processes on core1 whenever it can manage.
Old May 3, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Holy Cwap!! I just checked out that RAM- unbelievable timing!
Old May 3, 2007, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Windows Based Memtest
This is actually a very good program for those of you having a problem getting memtest86 working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton